Author Topic: Vintage Pegwarmers  (Read 13029 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Vintage Pegwarmers
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Two early candidates:

4-LOM
Darth Vader

I usually rearrange the pegs at the local Target so they have all of the same figs on each peg...two pegs are almost packed with 4-LOM and 1.5 have Vader on it...maybe kids finally have enough Vaders.  I was thinking Dengar was going to be in there too but he seems to be selling fairly well.  As do 3PO, Leia Luke and Han.

I fear what is going to happen with Wave 2 when there are 3 different styles of Clone Troopers, Anakins, Obi-Wans and Grievouses on the pegs

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Pegwarmers
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 01:41 AM »
Here it seems to be Vader... I see a lot of Cloud Car Pilots.

I can't find a Fett for the life of me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 02:00 AM »
Hands down, Vader, Vader, Vader...  and more ******* Vader.  ::)

He's everywhere.  He's like fly dirt.

4-LOM and C-3PO as well, but nobody's coming close to Vader at this point.

The best sellers around here seem to be...

-Boba Fett
-Dak
-AT-AT Commander
-Hoth Leia
-Dengar

Luke's somewhere in the middle ironically.  I see him easily enough, but he's never in vast abundance anywhere he is.  Dengar's similar, as is the Bespin Pilot, and Hoth Leia is surprisingly moving well I think, similar to these others.

Fett is moving well, as always, and Dak I actually don't see often at all.  The AT-AT Commander I usually see one of...  Always just one for some reason though.  Weird.

The Cloud Car and Snowspeeder are ALWAYS in either low supply, or non-existant with the repaints of other stuff hanging about on the shelf.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:01 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 05:09 AM »
Yeah 4-lom and Vader.

With 4-lom peggwarming it seems to indicate that for now it's just collectors buying the line.
To be fair the Vaders are not pegwarming that badly -most unusual -with 4-lom the undeserved star of wave one.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02 AM »
I'm not surprised. The 30th annivesary carded 4-LOM actually pegwarmed here enough to go on clearance.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I have to agree with what's warming pegs. But it's not that bad yet, they are just selling slower than others. It seems at many stores the Vintage pegs are empty. It's way too early to judge the line success. After the next two waves will be the tell tale sign. The first wave is usually the heaviest in quantities.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 09:50 AM »
Like others have said, pretty much the same thing here.  Vader is definitely the runaway winner so far, as he is always in generous supply everywhere it seems.  I can totally understand always having a Vader out there, but I think we might be at the point where they can just pack him 1 per case.  Like it was mentioned, most kids already have their Vader (or are just into CW and don't care), and I know we collectors definitely have our fill of them.  4-LOM is also a pretty big pegwarmer.

Fett is definitely the toughest to find here too.  I've only seen one at retail, and that's probably because I work part time stocking at our local Target.  Otherwise, I think they'd all be gone before I'd get there to shop.  I do think Leia seems to be selling very well, maybe the best selling Leia figure aside from the Slave Leia version.  Luke and Dak seem to sell well too.  Otherwise, the rest of the wave seems to do ok.  I can't say any, aside from Fett, are tough to find - but none aside from Vader/4-LOM are necessarily pegwarmers either.  I'm curious to see what will happen with the ROTS wave.  A nice wave, to be sure, but a lot of overlap on figures we've seen lots and lots of since 2005 (Anakin, Obi-Wan, Grievous, etc.)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Do you think Hasbro sensed the potential for "consumer overload" on the RotS wave and that's why they chose to start the "UGH" nonsense with that wave and not the ESB wave?

Maybe they are hoping the carded collectors bite on the chase foil cards and therefore help move what could otherwise be excess 'commons' like Anakin, Obi-Wan, Grievous, etc.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:46 AM »
I agree with you Jeff, due to the package style I think Hasbro is expecting many collectors to buy doubles already. (One to keep packaged and one to open). When you add a foil chase program many collectors will buy three of a particular character. This is definitely part of their overall strategy to get some lost Collectors back in. I hope it works, anything to keep the line going I fully support regardless of it bringing out the white sneaker wearing bearded Hot Wheels scalpers.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 10:52 AM »
It could be due to restocking that I am not seeing - but at this point, it seems everything is pegging  :o

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 11:12 AM »
It could be due to restocking that I am not seeing - but at this point, it seems everything is pegging  :o

Yup.  Same story at least at my Target.  Vintage pegs are pretty much stocked to the gills.  No Fetts though.  CW stuff seems to be selling through, mostly.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 02:32 PM »
1 being hardest to find, 11 being easiest to find:

1. Boba
2. Dack
3. AT-AT Commander
4. Leia
5. Luke
6. CC Pilot
7. C-3PO
8. Han
9. Dengar
10. 4-LOM
11. Vader

Vaders... Vaders everywhere. 4-LOMs too. Stores are only stocking maybe half of the pegs allocated too, and there are usually at least 5 Vaders and 4-LOMs, and 3 or less of everything else.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 11:34 PM »
I forgot Han...  Mostly because I don't see him often.  he actually sells out really fast here, which surprises me because I found him a little boring due to the outfits short screen time.  He's going fast though, which should be expected I guess since Han appears to be popular in general.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 07:38 AM »
Just speaking to the stores I frequent, it seems that the hardest figures to get are: Luke, Boba, Dak and AT-AT Commander in that order.

The next level of difficulty are Han, C-3PO, Cloud Car Pilot and Dengar.

After that, most times I'll always see plenty of Leia, Vader and 4-LOM.

I think with both figures, it was just too soon to release either of them on a Vintage card. To me it's an early indication that the packaging isn't doing anything to help bolster sales. A repacked figure is a repacked figure and what few collectors are left have pretty much been into this line for a while (at least since 2005 if not since 1995) and that means that any figures that came out post ROTS were either skipped by the collector back then for some reason OR they already have that figure and aren't interested in buying it again.

With the error set of 4-LOM and Zuckass being readily available online after CV, I think having repacked 2007 4-LOM in the Vintage packaging was a bit too much of 4-LOM overdose.

For Vader, he's really no different than the 2008 figure - maybe the head comes out more easily so you can remove the third piece of the helmet, but that doesn't make enough of a difference to warrant a re-release of the same figure you're currently packaging in the Legends line. Clearly if little Johnny wants a Vader, his parents can grab that Legends figure.

I'm going to go back to a previous comment I made in jest and that is that I do think that Hasbro execs are forcing the Star Wars brand team to put Darth Vader in the first wave of each packaging iteration. That has been the case since 2005.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro is trying to pressure Dave Filoni to add a scene to the Clone Wars where Anakin has a dream about the future and sees himself as Darth Vader cutting down Jedi - just so Hasbro can justify making an animated version of Vader and then everytime the Clone Wars line reboots, that animated-style Vader will be in the first wave as one of the repacks.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 08:11 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro is trying to pressure Dave Filoni to add a scene to the Clone Wars where Anakin has a dream about the future and sees himself as Darth Vader cutting down Jedi - just so Hasbro can justify making an animated version of Vader and then everytime the Clone Wars line reboots, that animated-style Vader will be in the first wave as one of the repacks.

LOL. That sounds believable. And they'd justify it in Q&A answers and flat out refuse to ever re-release the hard to find Aayla Secura or Thi Sen.