Author Topic: Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)  (Read 26591 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)
« on: August 28, 2010, 11:15 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Han Solo (Bespin Outfit)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 11:19 PM »
Going by movie timeline, Han Bespin should have been a few figures ago but I finished off the Imperials first and went back to pick up Han.

Vintage Han Bespin and Luke Bespin were the Luke and Han I played with...I played the hell out of both of them.  Looking at it now, the head is way too big on here and it seems like Kenner really struggled with Han's head through the whole line (although Endor Han is pretty good)

Not much to say about Modern Han other than I can't believe they have waited as long as they have to update him and how much of a dissapointment the 30AC Torture version turned out to be...hopefully 2011 will finally be the final nail in the coffin of a much requested figure

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 01:11 AM »
This figure and the Hoth Luke are the ones I want to see redone the most of all.  I also played with Bespin Luke and Han more than other versions of both characters.  I actually had the Hoth and Bespin Han before I had ANH Han. 

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 02:03 AM »
The Vintage version was my definitive Han Solo.  I hope the do a better modern version soon.  I want to put him in the BMF Falcon cockpit along with the new Hoth Leia and SL Threepio since that's where he spent a majority of ESB.

Oddly enough, I never had the vintage version carded.  I got him with the Sears Bespin playset.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline darthmac

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • My Diorama Website
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 11:21 AM »
Yikes, that is the best modern Bespin Han?  Ugh.  Hopefully the new one in 2011 will meet expectations and this page can be updated!

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 11:39 AM »

Oddly enough, I never had the vintage version carded.  I got him with the Sears Bespin playset.

That is where I got my version too.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Yeah, we definitely need a new Bespin Han...but it's cool to remember that this is one of the first ball-jointed shoulder figures from the modern line (I think the commtech stormie was the first), and also had the elbow swivels. The correctly sized blaster with working holster was really cool as well. I remember being completely happy with this figure when it came out. While Bespin Han is probably my most-wanted resculpt, I do remember this one fondly.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 12:26 PM »
Oh I agree Ed, this one is great for what it was and is...but it isn't up to par with the rest of the line.  The EpI/POTJ lines for the most part was steps in the right direction and then the Saga crap came out and it all went wayward for like 3 years.  Likeness of headsculpt is the #1 criteria for a good figure to me and in that sense, while POTJ Han looks like Ford, it isn't really close.  More articulation and a separate belt/holster ala the latest Luke Bespin is much needed.

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 12:45 PM »
One of my absolute favorites as a kid. Still trying to track a decently painted one down.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Why did Kenner give Han a Bespin blaster instead of his own model?

Also, looking back, Kenner was cheap on the paint ops. No paint on belt or boots.

We froze him back in the day...put him a plastic cup of water...in the freezer.

I never got the POTJ version. I have the POTF2 version with the nearly black jacket (another color debate!), "poured into his pants" look and the same head as the POTF2 ANH Han (freaking lazy Hasbro...in a way, the POTF2 designs were also like comic book/cartoon in the sense of character renderings.)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2010, 01:18 PM »
Never had the Bespin Han as a kid. I had the Endor Han, so I guess I didn't feel I needed another one. The POTJ figure is still one of my favorite figures in the entire line. It'll be hard for Hasbro to top that one, and I foresee them making several attempts before they get it right, ala Jedi Luke.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Glitch

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2010, 02:37 PM »

The fact that we have to go that far back to find a "modern" counterpart to the original is just painful. 

:'(

Anyway, I too received mine as part of the Sears Bespin set.  Wow, I remember how much of a thrill it was to receive the new Christmas catalogs and see new figures that were included in the exclusive sets for the first time.  Aside from the backs of the cards and the small catalogs that came with the vehicles, carrying cases, 12" figures and playsets, this was how we found out about new figures and toys back then.

I also remember how cool it was to find new mini Kenner catalogs in a toy.  I would sometimes stop dead in my tracks from opening the toy to see what was coming next.  I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw that we would be getting a Millennium Falcon!

Good times!

:)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 04:11 PM »
My favorite version of Han Solo, although the ANH outfit is obviously more "iconic".  I never had the vintage one as a kid either, although I always wanted one (and it was the first one I picked out at my friend's house - who had everything).  I also had the Endor Han, so I don't think my parents saw the need for me to have another - and I also got more into actual Star Wars figure buying with ROTJ (I was 6 at that time).

As far as the figure goes, this is my #1 most wanted modern re-do, and it sounds like (hopefully) we'll see it finally in 2011.  I hope they get it right the first time, and we don't see the constant tinkering and re-dos that Jedi Luke has.  As others have mentioned, the POTJ Han is a great figure for its time - and actually still one of my favorites.  I really enjoyed that line as a whole, and thought the Han was great then and in some ways now.  It does need a more modern updating, and I look forward to the new figure, but not bad for what it is.  It is silly that we haven't gotten another version since then, aside from that Torture Rack version (yikes).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I often forget there's a another version they released, the Princess Leia collection two-pack one with the cloth jacket.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 06:53 PM »
One of my favorite vintage figures.  I got him at Montgomery Wards in what had to have been my biggest vintage toy run - my brother and I had about $20 for delivering phone books one year.  We had bought a few already at K Mart that day, and found Han at Wards.  My mother lost it over me buying another toy, but I had to have him.   ;D

I still like the POTJ version a lot.  It obviously has room for improvement, but he's still proudly a centerpiece of my Bespin shelf.  I'm glad an updated version is coming next year, and it's one of the pieces I'm looking forward most to.  I'm hopeful it doesn't rely on the current Han body they've been using with that ridiculous torso.