Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52863 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #135 on: May 5, 2011, 08:01 AM »
Flyers have the Bruins right where they want them.

Or not.  :'(
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 5, 2011, 12:22 PM »
Yeah, my second round sucks. 

I still think the Canucks win. 

I still think the Bruins win, but last year looked like that too, so I'm nervous.  But in picking the Flyers I was more looking at how the Bruins played in the first round against the Canadiens - they didn't seem to have it together.  At the start of my predictions I was honestly thinking Canucks - Bruins.  Probably should have stayed with that. 

Tampa - we'll see if the league cracks down on the trap in the next round.  Good defense, boring hockey.  Sure as hell did not expect them to win that series.  I know the Caps tend to suck come playoff time, but nope, can't say Tampa ever crossed my mind for this year after the first round.

Detroit - San Jose still giving me fits.  Wings were so convincing in the first round and I think the quick disposal of the Coyotes (ptui!) probably hurt them with the long layoff.  I think they can come back from it but San Jose is a talented team no doubt. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 5, 2011, 01:19 PM »

I still think the Bruins win, but last year looked like that too, so I'm nervous. 

Don't be, because there isn't going to be a comeback this year.  The Flyers looked completely beat last night after those two early goals by the B's.  I knew it was over right then, no way they were coming back.  Add that to the previous game, which by all rights they should have won and were clearly the better team, only to lose because the opposing goaltender stood on his head while their goaltender lets in soft goals, the Flyers are cooked. I was actually more pissed with Monday's game than last night's.

The Flyers aren't winning a Cup until their **** ass goaltending is fixed.  They haven't had a solid presence in net since Ronnie Hextall.  Bobrovsky might be the solution as he's shown glimpses he can be an elite goaltender, but I'm not 100% convinced.

After the B's beat the Flyers, I'll be rooting for them for the remainder.  A San Jose-Jumbo Joe Thornton vs. Boston finals would be great to see.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 6, 2011, 10:40 PM »
Well I'm happy with the outcome of tonight's games.  Nice to see the B's win. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: May 7, 2011, 12:20 AM »
Yeah, I'm sort of pulling for them Bruins right now (sorry Rob).  They looked like a really good team I thought, and good goaltending which Tampa didn't face last round (though they did with us IMO, so that doesn't really matter I suppose).

In completely unimportant news, I never shaved my playoff beard because I've been really lazy, and I now look like a guy too lazy to shave.  I need to buzz this off though soon.  I look like a homeless dude.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 7, 2011, 02:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm sort of pulling for them Bruins right now (sorry Rob).  They looked like a really good team I thought, and good goaltending which Tampa didn't face last round (though they did with us IMO, so that doesn't really matter I suppose).

No worries... I'm expecting this to be the end of the line here.  The only thing giving me some hope is that the Lightning made quick work out of the 1 seed and Philly hasn't exactly put up any more of a fight against Boston.  Hopefully Roloson will keep playing well... he'll probably need to be even better against Thomas.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2011, 02:25 PM by Rob »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 9, 2011, 01:26 AM »
After last year, I was scared to even say anything about the Bruins.  I really didn't think they could sweep the Flyers because I think they are a better team than that.  But like Mikey said, without reliable goaltending they're going to have problems.

Living in BC, I'm definitely enjoying the Canucks / Preds series, especially Kesler's play.  I think it's a little early to be talking Conn Smythe since he didn't do much in the 1st round, but he's definitely starting to make up for it now.  It would be nice to see the Sedins perform like they can though.  Pekka Rinne has been amazing for the Preds and will be the deciding factor for whether the Canucks can beat them.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #142 on: May 9, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Think Glendale will vote tomorrow to pony up another $25mil to Bettman for 2011-12?  Sure sounds that way...  and I heard that some insiders are now saying that Hulsizer is now more interested in buying STL instead.  That may just be his group posturing to affect the price though, pretending like they can walk and screw Glendale/NHL.

I know the league really, really doesn't want to admit they screwed up when they put hockey in the desert, but it should be oh so very telling to them that Dallas seems to be poised to get $250mil offers while Phoenix can't even get close to less than half that.  Same in Hotlanta - $110mil is a steal compared to what the Stars bidding opened with ($225mil).

I think they can come back from it but San Jose is a talented team no doubt.

Looks like the Winged Wheel may still have some fight left it them after all...  despite the nice diving exhibiton put on by Thornton.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 9, 2011, 12:30 PM »
I think the pricing situation of Phoenix speaks volumes about how desperate the NHL is to NOT admit a mistake.  Would the Hulsizer group be allowed by the NHL to buy the Blues if they back out of Phoenix?  I think that'd put that ownership group in the same boat as Balsillie is - persona non grata. 

Also interesting to see how much TNSE is willing to pay to get a franchise here in Winnipeg relative to what they could pay to keep own and keep the franchise in its current location, whether it's Atlanta or Phoenix.  They'd probably save sixty million dollars by owning them in their current location.  I wonder why they aren't willing to do just that? 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 9, 2011, 11:00 PM »
Whoo.  At least the 'Nucks came through.  I need Detroit to make a huge comeback just to hit 50% on my predictions for this round.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2011, 11:35 PM »
Game 7 ought to be exciting to watch.  Tonight's game was very entertaining. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2011, 11:57 AM »
Glendale voted to pony up another 25 million.  Wow.  It's quite comedic when it comes down to it.  It will be curious to see what efforts will now be made to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. 

I'll admit I'm more keen on the Thrashers coming here than the Coyotes given I didn't want the baggage associated with it.  At the same time, I'm starting to think more and more that Winnipeg is nothing but a pawn to Bettman and the NHL and we won't see a team.  It's absolutely crazy from a business sense on the NHL's part given you have an owner, an arena and a rabid hockey area all waiting to have a team, no government funding involved, but you still don't rate.  And I don't care if you're Phoenix, Winnipeg, Toronto or anywhere else, direct government funding with tax dollars to millionaires is just simply idiotic. 

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Game 7 should be a classic. If I were a betting man, I'd probably put straight-up money on SJ, though I won't be surprised at all if Detroit wins. I do believe that beyond the scope of the playoffs, this game is a lot more important for San Jose than Detroit.

Go Sharks!

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Glendale voted to pony up another 25 million.  Wow.  It's quite comedic when it comes down to it.  It will be curious to see what efforts will now be made to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. 

RIP Manitoba Jets.  Long live the Manitoba Falcons?

Seriously.  Glendale is now pissing away $50mil to keep the team there? Crazy.  Why not throw in $100mil more and buy the team themselves? Best of all, Goldwater might still be able to sue on the grounds that this is a corporate subsidy to the NHL and those types are illegal in AZ.  The city is selling it as a "service agreement", but it still may end up in court - then what?  The Coyotes are stuck in Glendale with no cash from the city?

I can't believe it's been two years and the thing is still festering...  I wonder what Balsillie thinks now?

ps. Go Wings!  ;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 12, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Well congrats to the Sharks.  That's proof why you won't home ice advantage right there. 

So lousy second round predictions, let's try third round.

Canucks over Sharks in six  - I think the Sharks are drained.
Bruins over Tampa in six - Can Rollie the goalie hold out?  If not, B's take it.