Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52853 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51 AM »
Caps look like the cream of the East.  ;D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Obviously a big couple of nights in the playoffs tonight but as an aside: think Friday.  ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2011, 11:51 PM »
Vancouver is looking more like the Game 1-2 team tonight than the Game 4-6 team.  Should be an interesting 3rd period...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2011, 12:55 AM »
Holy crap!  OT in game seven!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2011, 12:56 AM »
Holy crap!  OT in game seven!

Thanks to a short handed goal with under 2:00 to go no less...

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2011, 08:35 AM »
Glad to see that the Blackhawks made a series out of it, but would have liked to see a better Game 7 effort (short-handed goal aside).  Overall, I think that Vancouver out hustled them and out muscled them in the games that they won.  Oh well, there's always next season!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Good game.  Unfortunate for the Hawks who did a fine job of embarassing the Canucks for a good chunk of time but they made a nice showing overall considering they just squeaked into the playoffs. 

The Manitoba Moose pulled off the upset last night in the AHL so any impending announcement that was expected Friday has probably been put off since they have three home games next week for the next round of the playoffs.  A couple of AHL teams have moved around already, potentially to make room for the Moose to head out to the west coast.  Time will tell. 

As for the NHL, I am absolutely loving the overtime games.  I'll admit to being thankful last night's game wasn't a multiple overtime period game though.  Thank goodness they didn't bring in the shootout for playoff games. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2011, 10:47 PM »
Bummer for the Pens and Habs fans tonight.  Pens ran into a hot goalie (dig his greying playoff beard).

Canucks over Hawks in 5
Sharks over Kings in 6
Wings over Yotes in 6
Predators over Ducks in 7

Caps over Rangers in 5
Flyers over Sabres in 6
Bruins over Habs in 7 (300 PIM in the series)
Lightning over Pens in 6

Canucks beat Caps in final. 

Didn't get the games right other than the Bruins and Habs and there were a lot less PIM than I thought.  But of course this is the first year in a long time I didn't go into any online things where you win money, so I go 8/8 on the series' winners.

Here are my early predictions on the next round, though I'll give myself until Saturday to change my mind:

Canucks over Predators
Wings over Sharks
Caps over Lightning
Philly over the Bruins

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2011, 10:52 PM »
More good games tonight... I'm really not as disappointed as I was last year that the Penguins got eliminated.  Tampa was just a better team.  I am sort of pulling for them or Boston now in the 2nd round, but more Boston...  I like Tampa I just don't know that, after they actually had trouble with Pittsburgh, that they can compete with a team like Washington who have grit, depth, and scoring talent...  The lack of a power play for us killed our chances of moving on.  Washington, in theory, shouldn't have that same disability hampering them.

Boston I like...  I think they just needed to get past their first round and they're going to be a much stronger team, and could really give Philly fits.

I'm bummed, but they got a standing O from the fans after the game because they never should've been where they were in the first place.  I'd have liked to have seen that power play change though, and I'm irked Bylsma didn't seem to want to do a whole lot of shifting around here.  Regardless, I think every team in the west right now is pretty superior.  Not a lot in the East matches up well.

And absolutely, Roloson was playing well, but I think their defensive play was every bit as big as anything Roloson was doing.  Our offensive talent was non-existant though, and the lack of Cooke was huge.  I brought that up to some local reporters, and they all agreed.  He's maybe the best penalty killer on the team aside from Fleury...  He's also a potent offensive threat, and the Cooke/Staal/Kennedy line was maybe our best going into the playoffs (without Malkin/Crosby).  *shrugs*  That hurt bigtime.  

I'm going to be bummed that Kovalev won't be here to play with Malkin/Crosby.  He isn't the player he was when he was here last, but he's still got the hands, and I'd have liked to have seen him with Malkin.  I think that could've brought a lot of life to his game (and Malkin's as well).  Fortunately he was basically a freebie for the playoffs...  And who knows, maybe he likes it here.  I guess he owns a home here or something, and was happy to be back, so maybe he'll want to see how next season pans out.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 10:55 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Obviously a big couple of nights in the playoffs tonight but as an aside: think Friday.  ;)

I saw that Domino's is on board with you guys, nice!  :P

Anymore of that "Friday's the big day" stuff?

Here's some more on potential re-alignment, from one of the local NHL beat writers who is pretty tapped in on league stuff -
The Winnipeg situation is worth paying attention to. There's a last-ditch effort to make Phoenix work in Glendale, while Atlanta is on perilous times. I'm not throwing dirt on either grave, but both these situations do affect the Wild. IF Phoenix moves, I'm hearing Colorado would ultimately wind up in the Pacific and the Wild would be in the Northwest Division with four Canadian teams. You can bet the Wild is not happy about that. If Atlanta moves, Atlanta may ultimately move to the Northwest, the Wild to the Central Division, where it's always wanted to be, and Columbus somewhere in the East. We'll see, but keep an eye on this.

Dear Pacific - please, please take Vancouver and not Colorado.  Thanks!    And re: Atlanta - I'd take the Central division... though it'd be scary (albeit fun) to have so many games againse the Winged Wheel.  Would be nice to get a rivalry with Chicago back though...

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Anymore of that "Friday's the big day" stuff?

Kind of been killed for now.  According to the cop that lives down the street from me there were City permits pulled to close off the street but those have now been cancelled.  Why?  Probably because the situation in Phoenix has changed.  Apparently the NHL is lowering the price to sell, Hulsizer has a partner and they're going to put up more of their own money and this will take Goldwater out of the equation because the bond sale is no longer an issue.  That said, and if you can believe anything about this these days, Atlanta has always been the favored option around here.  Um, ok. 

I understand the distinct possibility that Winnipeg has been a pawn in the Phoenix situation all along.  While I'd enjoy seeing Bettman eat crow by returning that team, the sneaky little weasel probably has been playing this all along.  Atlanta on the other hand has been quiet.  No buyer has stepped forward for the team at all and the Spirit group is still supposedly interested in selling.  This also fits well with the seemingly odd suggestion of naming the team the Falcons. 

The True North Group, the presumed ownership group of the next NHL franchise in Winnipeg, also owns the AHL Manitoba Moose.  So they need to be cautious to not kill their revenues from that team this year as well.  The Moose surprisingly upset the team they were playing in the playoffs on the 25th or whatever and advanced to the next round.  No one was expecting that, so I think that's playing a role in an announcement too.  They're waiting until the Moose are eliminated is the speculation locally. 

So no to Friday is now the rumor.  Sometime next week after the Moose have played their 3 home games in the next playoff round.  The assumption I suppose is they'll lose to the Hamilton squad that finished ahead of them in the regular season. 

As to divisional alignment I really don't want to see Winnipeg in a division with Calgary AND Edmonton AND Vancouver.  That's just not going to be great for team finances because we don't want to see those guy all the damn time.  But I do agree with moving Minnesota to the Central Division.  I still think you move Vancouver to the Pacific division with LA, Anaheim, San Jose and then drop Colorado in with them.  You move Dallas into a division with Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and Minnesota.  I know it doesn't get you guys into the Central where you want to be but to me it makes more sense from a time zone perspective for all the teams.  Colorado sort of gets screwed but it means less travel to Canada for them. 

Although if Phoenix stays, you should probably create a division where Winnipeg plays them because lots of animosity has been built this season creating a natural rivalry.  So if Phoenix stays, you bump Minnesota to the Central and leave Wpg/Dallas/Edm/Cal/Pho as the division.  Maybe Dallas gets a bit screwed that way, I dunno. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2011, 11:24 PM »
Yikes... the Caps miss a goal off the post by inches and Downie scores when he wasn't trying to... a win is a win but I'm thinking it was a little too much luck and a little too much rust for me to think this gives the Lightning a shot here.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2011, 12:29 AM »
A quote from one of my coaches was something like, "Ugly goals count too, so don't be a ***** in front of the net".  If it weren't for those ones, I wouldn't have have made the stat sheet too often besides PIM.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Style is for spectators; they don't ask you how, they ask you how many.   ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 1, 2011, 11:59 PM »
Lightning win again, and Bin Laden ends up dead.

What a day!