Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52849 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2011, 11:53 PM »
I'd say basically the same thing but maybe a game less in both series...  Which of course will be the polar opposite now of anything I predict probably.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 13, 2011, 12:57 AM »
Well congrats to the Sharks.  That's proof why you won't home ice advantage right there. 

So lousy second round predictions, let's try third round.

Canucks over Sharks in six  - I think the Sharks are drained.
Bruins over Tampa in six - Can Rollie the goalie hold out?  If not, B's take it. 

I hope your picks this round are just as good as they were last round.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 13, 2011, 08:39 AM »
Home Ice means nothing in hockey, IMO. It provides the least advantage of any professional sport. The Sharks certainly didn't get the benefit of any "home town ref" calls...seemed like every time I turned around they were handing the Wings another Power Play.

Thornton was a monster and Niemi just keeps standing on his head out there, incredible.

I have to go Sharks/Lightning for the final. That would at least salve a little of the wounds over the CAPS choking again.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 13, 2011, 12:32 PM »
So you think the fans contribute nothing to the game?  I wasn't talking about the refs, they are, after all, supposed to be calling the game fairly, not for the home team (or against them). 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 13, 2011, 12:43 PM »
So you think the fans contribute nothing to the game?  I wasn't talking about the refs, they are, after all, supposed to be calling the game fairly, not for the home team (or against them). 

Don't home teams have a ridiculously high winning percentage in game 7's? 

That'd be all I would need to know right there.

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: May 13, 2011, 02:02 PM »
I believe home ice allows the home team to make line changes after the visiting team...I think. This makes for better matchups.

Also, every rink is different, so most teams are built with their own rink in mind. Some have notoriously fast ice and boards, like the Red Wings'.

Add to those the crowd noise, and I believe home ice is a definite advantage. The Shark Tank is extremely loud.

My girls and I walked to the Arena (we live about two blocks away) last night before the game, and the crowd outside was electric. Nothing beats game 7s in hockey. It was fun to be a part of it, even though we didn't have tickets.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #156 on: May 13, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Yeah, basically all the reasons listed are why HI is really important in the NHL...  Match-ups have become increasingly large topics in the NHL...  What line is out against the opposing team's top line?  It's always a big deal.  For instance, looking at the Pens/Montreal series last year, getting that right match-up was a huge thing for Montreal to shut down Crosby's line, and it worked pretty well.  Countering that is tough.

Also like stormie said, every rink is different...  The Civic Arena's boards were pretty dead, but the Console's are lively now, and a lot more like Detroit's.  In our first final with Detroit, I think the first goal was scored by a lively goal coming off the boards right in front of Fleury and past him.  It looked completely like a set play.

And I'm a firm believer in the energy of crowds in the NHL...  momentum is a HUGE factor in hockey.  A crowd can swing that back to their team easily.  They can help rattle an already shakey goalie...  Or they can just look like they're clueless about  what they'er watching, but are at least enjoying themselves, haha.  :)

Or they're Montreal.   :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2011, 06:34 AM »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2011, 02:47 PM »
Getting closer or another set-up for disappointment?

I love how some of the media are starting to write the "Why isn't the NHL sticking up for Atlanta" stories....  and I've seen some speculation that NHL owners may not let Atlanta go north because there is more money of them if they wait and send PHX north.  ::)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Yup.  I'm distinctly feeling Winnipeg is but a pawn in all these negotiations for the NHL.  It's a perfect setup with a fanbase that was "wronged" by the NHL, will support the team.  New ownership, new (albeit smallish) arena, good situation for revenue.  Helps out some of the league alignment, it's all good right? 

Meh.  I think I'm just tired of it.  Make the deal and let me know when it happens. 

I will say the same people I know that are closer to the True North group say it's a go.  They said last year we'd have a team by fall of 2011.  They also hinted strongly about the Coyotes, though I guess that did look positive for a while. 

As for what the league is or isn't doing with the Thrashers vs. Coyotes, it's an entirely different scenario IMO.  Coyotes at least have Glendale city council footing the bill for a portion of the losses, so that's something.  But people forget the owner of that team is the NHL and they can do as they like.  The last owner declared bankruptcy and left the league holding the bag.  The Atlanta ownership group is still there and sees huge potential in selling the team to Winnipeg because there seemingly is no one wanting to own it in Atlanta.  They get $100 million for their troubles and the league pockets $60 million in transfer fees.  That's not appealing to the board of governors?  That offsets a ton of the Coyotes losses right there.  Is the league doing nothing for Atlanta?  Maybe, but really they did everything for the Coyotes because they own the Coyotes. 

There is also the part of me that will not forget that Bettman would look really bad taking the Yotes back to Winnipeg and tucking his tail between his legs.  If Atlanta goes, he'll play it up as taking back a team to a market where there always should have been a team.  But no egg on his face with the Manitoba Falcons, unlike the Winnipeg Jets/Phoenix Coyotes/Winnipeg Jets. 

Lastly I'll be happy if it is the Thrashers.  I like the team as it is, they should get some good draft picks going forward and we won't have to call the team the Jets.  Though I think the league will allow them to use the Jets jersey as a retro/third jersey. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #160 on: May 16, 2011, 10:26 PM »
As for what the league is or isn't doing with the Thrashers vs. Coyotes, it's an entirely different scenario IMO. 

Definitely.  The league owns the Coyotes, so yeah it makes sense they protect their investment.  I think some are seeing "more" for the owners if they sell PHX ($140mil vs only 60mil in reloaction fees for Atlanta), but like you said - I see it more as $60mil for relocation PLUS $140mil for the Coyotes, not an either/or type thing for them.

I have read some things that say that Bettman doesn't like the ATL owner - I guess there is some bad blood between them for the way they took over the Thrashers as part of the Thrashers/Hawks/Arena deal and then basically ignored the Thrashers and let them run themselves into the ground.  Moving ATL is a win-win for him then - he gets revenge on owners he doesn't like (they lose tons on their investment) and he gets to be "right" about Phoenix (for a while longer anyway).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 16, 2011, 10:44 PM »
The only fly in the ointment is that I don't think the league (BOG) or Bettman really like Winnipeg as an option either.  Winnipeg's history with the NHL is extraordinarily contentious going back all the way to the WHA days.  I think that history lingers to this day and I think sending a team back here is a bitter pill. 

That said, I think the TNSE group has been exactly what the BOG wants: very quiet, very patient, everything by the rules, no rumours, no bravado.  And deep frickin' pockets.  Sure, the arena is small but they own surrounding land and if they want to expand, they'll do it with their own cash and only need the City to shut down a portion of one street, something that wouldn't really bother the City.  They own concessions, parking and everything they need.  They've got deep pockets and have proven themselves successful in arena ownership with only a minor league team.  They aren't going to hurt too badly if the NHL team suffers, though it won't for years.  The arena itself is one of the 20 busiest venues in North America between concerts, shows, etc. and they get a share of it all. 

All I know is if we do get a team, I'm drafting Byfuglien in the first round of the fantasy draft.  ;)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2011, 10:25 AM »
All I know is if we do get a team, I'm drafting Byfuglien in the first round of the fantasy draft.  ;)

Remind me to have the pick right after yours.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2011, 10:52 PM »
Rumors today about government money being involved to help TNSE relocate the Thrashers to Winnipeg.  If that's the case I don't want NHL hockey here.  It's a goddamn business, not a charity.  Let's not be as idiotic as Glendale.   >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2011, 10:59 PM »
They were chatting this up tonight on the local sports show...  Fun conversation.  Lots of Bettman bashing.  You'd have enjoyed it Brent.