Author Topic: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season  (Read 52848 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: NHL 2010-2011 Regular Season
« Reply #180 on: May 24, 2011, 04:14 PM »
E)  Mannitoba Pemmican Traders

or

F)  Winnipeg Phoenix Phuckers
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 04:14 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2011, 04:29 PM »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2011, 11:31 PM »
Damn.   :o

I guess they don't want to go back to SJ...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 25, 2011, 12:04 AM »
The whistles have been put away for overtime  :o

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #184 on: May 25, 2011, 12:53 AM »
Man, what a crazy goal to end things on...  :o

So obviously I'm hoping for the Canucks and Bruins to wrap it up in the next game. 

One down, one to go...  >:D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 25, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Will the Sharks EVER shed that "choker" label? Guess not.

If Boston comes out of the East, I'm done with watching hockey this year. I just have no interest in that match up.

At least if the Lightning win it takes a little tarnish off the Caps loss to them.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 25, 2011, 09:13 AM »
No interest in watching teams that have been in the league for at least 40 years each.  Would rather see late expansion teams playing.  You related to Bettman?  ;)

Sharks sort of got hosed if that puck at the end really did touch Sedin's shoulder, but I watched the replay of Boyle's clearing shot around the borders probably a dozen times and couldn't see it touch.  Tough call to make but the end result being tougher for the Sharks.  I think the only consolation is that for most of the series Vancouver did seriously outplay them.  And full props to Luongo for that first overtime period :o

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 25, 2011, 01:07 PM »
There was no choke. Choking is when you lose to an inferior team or miserably fail to play up to your potential. The Canucks are a better team than the Sharks and SJ gave them all they could handle.

Seriously, I'm a little tired of this choker talk. All teams have had their fair share of choking in the playoffs. The Sharks have been good in the regular season for several years, yet whenever they don't win the Cup, they're labeled as chokers. They've only been around for 20 years, for crying out loud. The Canucks have been around for 40 and have never won the Cup, and until last year, it'd been nearly 50 years since Chicago had sniffed the Cup. I think the Blues and Caps, as well as some others have never won a Cup, either. Each year, the Sharks entertain and give fans hope in the playoffs.

I have no regrets about the Sharks' season. I'm just sad that's over already and now have to wait months for the season to begin again.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 25, 2011, 01:09 PM »
I agree that it isn't a choke losing to the Canucks, but, and I'm just basing this off of the handful of games I watched of the Sharks this postseason, they sure do seem to blow a lot of third period leads. They seem like they can't close to me. Is Joe Nathan or Matt Capps on their team (had to take my chance to pour some salt in my MN Twins woes).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 25, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Losing the series is one thing, but giving up the tying goal with less than 20 seconds to play in a game you HAVE to have is pretty choke-worthy, IMO. Dudes, I was rooting for them, believe me, I rooted for them against the Red Wings and they almost blew that too, this after that poor showing last year.

Much as I root for 'em, the Caps certainly deserve that rep too now. Ya just gotta own it until you prove otherwise. No offense to anyone.

And ya, no interest in Bruins/Canucks, just no "zazz" in that matchup for me. Both teams just bore me to tears. Great franchises, lots of history, just not the marquee-type storylines an average joe like me could appreciate.

Admittedly, I'm just a casual fan.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 25, 2011, 02:07 PM »
Poor showing last year? Losing in the Conference Finals against the eventual Cup winner (Chicago) doesn't seem like a poor showing to me.

You could argue they choked the previous year when they won the President's and lost in the first to the Ducks, but they aren't the only one-seed to lose to an eight (I'm thinking back to '93 when they were the eight and beat the Wings).

Yeah, I'm a Sharks homer, admittedly, but I don't really like the choker label bandied about so much, especially when SJ has only been around since '91. It's a little insulting to the teams that have been around longer. The playoffs are fun and anything can happen.

As for failing to close out games, sure there were some that went that way, but they also came from behind in some, too. The LA series had a couple great comebacks. The problem is that most games were one-goal games, so the advantage can turn abruptly.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #191 on: May 25, 2011, 03:16 PM »
Outside circumstances aside, I don't believe a #1 seed beating a lower seed can be called choking on the other team's part either.  #1 losing in the first round is a choke, or lower seeds taking out higher seeds often times can get that label.  It depends a lot on who's healthy on either team, and all that stuff.  I don't think San Jose did poorly.  They hung on a while, but Vancouver was just better I think.  I doubt they lose the Stanley Cup either.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 25, 2011, 10:48 PM »
I'm distinctly feeling Winnipeg is but a pawn in all these negotiations for the NHL. 

Bettman got cranky today, wondering again.

Nice game by Tampa, though they were at home.  I think Bruins take it next game. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 25, 2011, 11:33 PM »
Nice game by Tampa, though they were at home.  I think Bruins take it next game. 

I think so too... game 7 on the road isn't exactly an easy thing to pull off. 

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 26, 2011, 10:10 AM »
Don't be so confident with the Bruins winning you two.  I'm a Flyers fan, but living in Boston, I watch enough B's games and listen to enough sports radio to know there's this stigma about the Bruins that they can't close out series that they should win.  Two years ago they lost in second round to the Canes, at home in game 7 (that shouldn't have went that far) after winning the Presidents Trophy that year and then last year's epic choke to the Flyers.  The Flyers were probably the better team going in, but up three games to none, there's no way the B's should have lost that series.

The Habs took them to 7 games in the first round and they needed OT in that game to win it.  The second round against the Flyers doesn't really count as they had something to prove and the whole revenge factor plus the Flyers **** ass goaltending lead to that dismantling.

By all rights, the current series against the Lightning should be over.  They had a three goal lead in game four they blew.  I give the Lightning credit for fighting back, but the Bruins just seem to relax and take their foot off the pedal when they have a chance to bury a team.

Bruins fans wanted nothing to do with a game 7 and I can guarantee they're nervous as all hell.  The Garden will be loud as **** Friday night at the start, but if the Lightning score quickly (as they seem prone to do), you're going to see that nervousness come out in full force.  The B's need to score first and keep the crowd in the game.  If they only take 20 shots like they have the last two games, they aren't going to win.
Common sense isn't so common