Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Yoda
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 12:14 AM »
I think OTC Yoda suffers from the same crap eyes, plus he is preposed and statuesque.  I don't think VOTC Yoda is the end all be all either...it is all in the eyes and they just can't nail it...

Some of the POTF2 figures are better likenesses

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 02:16 AM »
Yoda was always a loved figure by me as a kid, mostly because he was just simply Yoda.  He'd lost most all his gear to GI Joes, but he still hung around with them in his brown suit.  His snake wound up with Cobra Commander (of course), or Snake Eyes as an extra pet for him.  His coat wound up with a female GI Joe as a cold weather coat...  His belt went with whoever it would fit on.  Yet Yoda still hung around without his gear, sometimes as a weird mutant genetic experiment gone awry, and sometimes just as Yoda.

For modern, my tip of the hat goes to the VOTC Yoda as my favorite, though OTC Yoda with the pack goes up on the shelf space dedicated to only Dagobah.  He's a great "set piece" figure, but I really gravitate to the best articulated version of a figure so VOTC ultimately gets my nod.

I even gave him a vintage Yoda's belt since he was lacking that entirely.  I also have given him a Vintage Yoda's snake.  He deserved both IMO.  He's one of the tiniest and best accessorized figures on my shelf, haha.

He has those skinny little old man legs too, and he's as close to super posable as the figure can be I think, so I just really like how he looks.  His face isn't the best, but I think it's very far from bad.  I don't know that any modern figure has ever truly captured the original puppet's look quite exactly, so they're all off.  Vintage isn't bad, but it's kind of like the moderns in that it's just not quite right either.

I'm hoping for a softgoods backpack to put a full Yoda figure into too.  :)  Maybe someday.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 12:17 PM »
I'll echo many of the same thoughts already posted.  The vintage version was (and is) one of my favorite figures of the line, and I think it was a pretty nice figure for the time really.  I also like some things about the modern versions as well (OTC and VOTC in particular), but as it was mentioned it doesn't seem like they've really nailed the face sculpt on Yoda.  It is surprising, in a way, because they usually do a great job on "aliens" and only have trouble with some of the actor face sculpts.  Like it was said, they also seem to look prequely for the most part, and I also think some of the POTF2 face sculpts were maybe a little better in some ways.  The upcoming version does look nicely done too, but again, seems to be more of a prequel Yoda than the OT one.  I'm happy to get a new version of either, but I really hope we get a re-done "ultimate" Yoda done at some point.  Really all it would take is a better face sculpt, as the rest of the VOTC figure isn't too bad.  I do like the OTC Yoda for Dagobah displays as well, and it is a great combo with the Luke from that line as well.

Offline Kid Kenobi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 05:27 AM »
First time poster - long time reader...

Hey guys - have to say this customiser nailed it for me.  As was said before - it's the eyes and ears that never seemed right on so many modern figs.

Constructed from:
1) POTF II “Flashback” Yoda (Head (Hollowed-out for ball-jointed use / rooted hair carefully trimmed) cooking pot, lamp)
2) OTC “vintage style” Yoda (Full body, cloth brown skirt, necklace-amulet, Gimmer stick cane, snake) *
3) Vintage Kenner Yoda (Cloth tan robe, belt pouch details) *

Custom by Darklord:  http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=4774.0

It's just the right elements.  I'm tempted to do it myself... although whenever I do a custom Hasbro finally get round to improving the figure in question (last time I grabbed the VOTC luke, filed the neck down, added the medical frigate head... months later they fixed it up!!! Argghh!).

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 12:51 PM »
I think that tvc Yoda facial expression must be reviewed, not a expression of combat readiness, because we didn´t see Yoda fighting in the OT, but a expression of wisdom, or an attitude of kindness and understanding toward his padawan Luke.

A more calm expression in other words.

This tvc Yoda, which is scheduled for november depicts the fighting expression... More like "Don´t mess with me battle droids or I´ll make you fish tins."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: February 7, 2011, 12:23 PM »

See what this guy over at RS did to the VOTC figure by sculpting a new head?  He nailed the eyes...totally

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: February 7, 2011, 04:41 PM »
I wish Hasbro would do a book of prototypes next to the productionf igures...  See the actual initial sculpts in a side-by-side.  I think it'd be neat to see how much is lost in the production process.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 2, 2011, 10:45 AM »
Most of the modern Yoda figures look kind of half-assed to me.  It's like they don't put much effort into him.  The OTC one was decent and so was the vintage one but nothing that truly stands out and yells "That is Yoda!!!"  I'm not that thrilled with the new vintage version either. 

Anyway, yeah vintage Yoda was fantastic for the time.  I loved the orange snake!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: November 1, 2014, 04:27 PM »
I think an update on this one is necessary.

With the release of TBS Yoda, I think they have finally made the best representation of ESB Yoda.
This is the way.

I have spoken.