Vintage

Modern

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: IG-88
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 09:01 PM »
my Favorite Bounty Hunter! And one of the coolest figures ever made! Tons of articulation, detail and fun. Just glad they put him out again as the VOTC one got 'battle damaged' during 'play' !
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Between vintage and vtsc is a diminution in size of hands and feet, but the character grew taller (although his wider stance)

I remember a photo of 32 vintage cardback, where kenner shows IG88 with biceps and forearm springs black. Perhaps a way to follow Death Star Droid black paint applications on his arms.

The bandolier of actual ig88 has evolved the most, cause it also holds the knife. Good to see that ig88 chest cylinders are painted in a different chrome colour.

The wires got a more realistic depiction, cause they are curved and placed over ig88 body, while vintage iggy shows the wires straight lying on his torso and legs.

Vintage Ig88 got red lights on his jaw, but vtsc shows it the same color as his head (as a reference the photo of the character depicts thems as black dots.)

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 10:14 PM »
I want another IG-88 but still can't find him on the shelves.  Yeah, I love this figure!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 10:48 PM »
IG-88 wasn't my favorite bounty hunter, but was still a must have for my collection.  For some reason, I always had him teamed up with Dengar.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 03:23 AM »
Another figure I wasn't as wild about, but who somehow wound up in my GI Joe collection as a Cobra thing...  Weird.

I didn't care for IG-88 as a kid though, and yet as an adult now I look back and think the vintage figure was probably one of the finer sculpts of the vintage line that held up...  so much so it confused people if the new ones were re-used vintage molds or not, at least back when IG-88 came out in a 2-pack in the modern line.

But, flash forward to the latest IG-88, and I'm all smiles...  It was one of the latter figures I reviewed for the site, and the VTSC IG-88 is, without a doubt, one of the finest modern figures in existance.  Hasbro sculptors/designers went balls out with this one, from separately sculpted wiring, to the removable mines on the bandoleir (though they're difficult to remove due to being glued on, so be careful with that!). 

My only gripe(s) on the last IG-88 are that his stance is a tad wide (he's a figure that would benefit from a ball-jointed hip if it could be hidden), and the holster for his sidearm Imperial blaster wasn't sculpted to fit the blaster properly, or it shrank during production.

The VTSC IG-88 has the deco, the sculpt, the accessory count (it's amazing), and a ton of solid, sturdy articulation points.  It's one of my favorite figures in my collection, and it may well be the finest figure Hasbro has ever made IMO.  Right up there with gems like VOTC/EB Chewbacca and the like.  Hasbro makes lots of great figures too, but IG-88 was almost a work of art, so hats off to Pawtucket on that one.

Now, I wouldn't turn my nose at a couple small upgrades here and there, to at least fix the holster if nothing else, but really if they never did another thing on that one, I'd be totally content with what we got.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27 AM »
The modern one is really an amazing detailed figure. One of my favorites.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 11:01 AM »
Yeah, this is one of my all-time favs. I want to get a few more to put in various scenes. Growing up, I always imagined IG-88 was a leftover war droid from the Clone Wars, so I want to put a few of him on my Separatist shelf. I already have a few of the black IG droids as well.

I always hated the EU story about IG-88 being one of five sooper-sekret Imperial projects...and don't even get me started on the whole "downloading into the second death star supercomputer right before it's destroyed" thing...I'm glad the Clone Wars cartoon uses these guys all over the place to sort of nullify that.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 06:09 PM »
I just picked up the Legends reissue of the VOTC one. Much better plastic than the IG Lancer droid that reused his parts (Hasbro really screwed up that figure with rubbery plastic).

But the head sculpt is off, IMHO. There's orange dots missing from the movie head...it's as plain as day on the card photo. Not sure making the head two pieces doesn't hurt the look, too. Also in the photos his eye stalk things are looking down (Now, how to make those poseable I don't know). The thing on the side of his head technically should be larger.  http://www.coolwatersprods.com/images/kershIG88.jpg

It's still a really good figure, though. I'm not sure Hasbro would ever revisit IG 88 anyway.

I stuck an extra "secret weapon" pistol in his holster...not one of the ones he came with (mine had the old assortment from the past few years).

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Got my first IG-88 in that Shadows of the Empire comic pack with the POTF2 ESB colored Boba Fett. Since I didn't have a 3PO at that point, IG was his substitute.

LOVE the new one from 2007, but I'm always scared that I'm going to break it if I move it. He's basically set up in a permanent sniping position on my shelf. :D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 04:38 AM »
He was always nicknamed pencil head by my sister.

I don't know whether anyone else has found this, but my VOTC version's hips don't move. I was really surprised when I got the Lancer version and found that his do. Is this standard, or is my IG88 defective?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Yeah, this is one of my all-time favs. I want to get a few more to put in various scenes. Growing up, I always imagined IG-88 was a leftover war droid from the Clone Wars, so I want to put a few of him on my Separatist shelf. I already have a few of the black IG droids as well.

I always hated the EU story about IG-88 being one of five sooper-sekret Imperial projects...and don't even get me started on the whole "downloading into the second death star supercomputer right before it's destroyed" thing...I'm glad the Clone Wars cartoon uses these guys all over the place to sort of nullify that.

Let me second this totally...  Especially the last part though, about CW kind of completely ******** all over the notion that IG-88 was some super secret weapon.  I love the IG-86's being like flyshit. 

And let me also say that the IG-86 figure really could show how IG-88 could probably be improved in articulation, at the hips anyway, but I'm ok with him as-is.  Hasbro's gotten really good though, at making a ball-joint hidden by a completely separate piece of plastic though that kind of covers it up.  I could see this working on IG-88's hips.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77