Author Topic: Bespin Security Guard  (Read 23508 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Bespin Security Guard
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 03:11 PM »

Data

Vintage

Modern

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:12 PM by Scott »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I agree with Jesse in the fact that they didn't make any other army builders in any other form but someone thought it would be a good idea to make 2 distinct Bespin Guards.  The first mustachioed one is the weirder of the two as you really don't see him anywhere.  At least the black one is prominently seen in the movie.

The modern update is an abomination.  I agree with everyone who says he looks Caucasian...all one needs to do is take off his hat to see that

You almost wonder if they were thinking of making Merril instead and changed their minds at the last minute trying to avoid utter fanboy outrage

« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 03:23 PM by Scott »

Offline RogueLeader

• Youngling
  • Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2010, 05:59 PM »
While Hasbro did do an obvious cheapout on the first guard, I'm not too hung up on the skintone because the figure does somewhat resemble a person of Indian descent, since many Indians have caucasian features along with darker skin.  I seriously doubt that is what Hasbro intended, but that's how it strikes me so I'm alright with it.  Not movie accurate in any sense, but plausible in an EUish sense I guess. Somehow I wouldn't be surprised if we see an Albino guard with black features, since Hasbro is capable of screwing up that much.  If that happens, they can initially claim that the figure is as intended, then fall back on blaming the factory for both screwups.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2010, 06:46 PM »
Something I liked during vintage time was the eyes paintjob, we could feel as this toy was the closest reprensentation of a black guy. Now, I realise bespin guards were the slimmers on the mold, perhaps their head a bit wide for their shoulders, but looking slim gave them elegance.

In the tlc black guard, Hasbro should have painted the borders of the cuffs: gold or black to match the movie, and to compensate the paintjob on the alien character.

But Hasbro is evolving the line, without doubt, and as said lines below Merril could be the white incarnation of the black guy.
In that case, Hasbro needs to keep an eye on paint job to please collectors.

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2010, 07:52 PM »
I've always always hated the wonky left leg of the vintage black guard. Hate it.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2010, 10:10 PM »
And his baby arm.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #21 on: January 1, 2011, 01:53 AM »
I never had the black variant as a kid.

For the modern I have the same gripe as I do for the alien one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 1, 2011, 01:14 PM »
You almost wonder if they were thinking of making Merril instead and changed their minds at the last minute trying to avoid utter fanboy outrage

Why would that cause outrage? I'm missing something.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #23 on: January 1, 2011, 01:34 PM »
Because people have been asking for the vintage updates to both Guards since the modern line started...and if they went and made two Bespin Guards and neither of them were updates of the vintage version there would have been mass outrage

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 1, 2011, 05:46 PM »
Because people have been asking for the vintage updates to both Guards since the modern line started...and if they went and made two Bespin Guards and neither of them were updates of the vintage version there would have been mass outrage

I guess I'm in the minority in that we should be more outraged over the fact that we got "Al Jolson, Bespin Guard" instead of Quentin Pierre as Sergeant Edian. (and then Hasbro coming out in a Q&A session saying that the head sculpted matched reference photos of Pierre)

I would have preferred that they did give us Merril in the TLC line and then saved updates of Edian and the "Moustached" Guard for the Vintage Collection.
« Last Edit: January 1, 2011, 05:47 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Sgt. Bazooka has the perfect head for 'stache Bespin Guard!