Author Topic: Dengar  (Read 21892 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Dengar
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:55 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
Re: Dengar
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:24 PM »
For a butt ungly dude in a towel wrap, and his brown painted trooper armor, Dengar is still a cool dude. As written in the Bounty Hunter trilogy, he's actually quite a decent guy AND he gots him a WOMAN!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Dengar getting some action proves there's someone for everyone.

I hated Dengar as a kid...  I really thought he was one of the lamest figures in the vintage collection.  Mine was a hand-me-down from my brother, and he still makes one of the lamer figures of the vintage days IMO.

It didn't help that he had the goofy-stupid rifle either though.  I mean, those big assed guns were my least favorites as a kid.  The handle was so big some figures couldn't hold it (and GI Joes taking it were out since it'd break their thumbs).  It looked kind of comical when he was pointing it at the enemy too.  Just lame.

Flash forward to the modern days though...  Wowza, what an improvement!

The last Dengar, most people were happy with.  It was a typical situation of sculpt wow'ing and people accepting it for what it was.  He could hold a blaster rifle decently and stuff, and he looked purdy for sure, right down to his Dexter Deck Shoes/moccassins.  But he was never quite good enough to suite me.

Then...  The Vintage Collection figure was announced and pictured.  They made this goofy looking knob an exciting, fun, action figure!  The gun was improved greatly, and made accurately for once.  The sculpt is loaded with depth.  The decoration is pretty good for these days when the deco is often suffering some cut-backs, and he rocks a whopping ammount of articulation that allows him to be put into a lot of action poses, like he actually does some ass whipping.

Sure, he doesn't look like he can, but the articulation lets you do it!

The fact he's finally given his side-arm holster and it's functional with a removable blaster?  Too cool.  Plus he has the removable cod-piece, for his EU lady-friend, I guess.

He's really an impressive figure now.  Vintage...  eh, not so much.  And probably one of the lesser-liked figures of the vintage line, IMO.  Fat guys in bandages with acne scarring are kinda not popular in the same way fat six-boobied female dancing figures aren't popular I suppose.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Vintage Dengar shows a more detailed chest armor than vintage hoth stormtrooper“s
He also spots two buttons on hips, which were omitted in post versions of the character.
tvc improved Dengar stance, teh sculpt of his face got more realistic than previous releases.

His armor got lila, brown shades, instead of a plain purple from the vintage action figure.

It is the era of two piece heads (head separated from neck), so is a bit hard to figure how the likeness could have improved in the one piece format of the head used in vintage, potf2, potj and some saga. This only could serve for the impression of realism, but I recognise all heads in the 2 piece ways are greatly depicted.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2010, 01:45 AM »
The TVC figure is quite impressive. It's hard to take him seriously by appearance in ESB, but the action figure actually looks like a force not to be reckoned with.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Vintage Dengar has a comic style scar, while the tvc version shows it softened
Similar cases  in the collection were the removable helmet Vaders, which spotted thick, well marked scars at first to soften them as single lines in the evolution versions.

No necessarily a scar must be painted, but when not it could give a impression of unfinished job.

Other cases: evo Boba Fett and his next releases (like legacy version)
Hoth Luke from saga, and then his commemorative tin version.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Definitely not one of my more favorite figures.  He was always the hapless bad guy that got captured first.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I always thought his backpack was cool for some reason.  I thought it was some sort of Freeze Ray pack sort of akin to the Ghostbusters.

Modern Dengar is sweet.  I think all 6 Bounty Hunters are some of the best in the modern line

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I was happy to add this figure to my bounty hunter collection back in the day. Of course this was when you could write your own backstory for the soiled, overweight guy in the trooper armor. (Today he's a fanboy at a convention, but I digress...)

I was one of those folks pretty pleased with the last incarnation and wondered why Hasbro would bother revisiting the figure so soon. Jesse made all the points for me; this is now the definitive version of this character.
Post sober.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 08:22 PM »
When I was a kid I wondered why Dengar got yellow face, cause he“s white
Now I notice that the buttons on his mask are omitted on the tvc version.

The vintage face has a rude, more aggressive look than the tvc, which is a more neutral expression, but looks clever and in a way he is watching his foe or prey moves.

Offline Bluesnag

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2010, 03:03 AM »
The vintage figure pictured has a production flaw. His codpiece is not painted. Anyway, the original Dengar was packed in with the Sears Bespin Cloud City playset, although Dengar was not seen on Cloud City.  Since the mid '90s to present, there have been 4 more Dengars produced. The POTF 2 version was from ROTJ, not ESB, because he lacked the backpack. There were the more recent ESB versions with a backpack including the Marvel Comics version, and now the new vintage style which is the ultimate version. It seems that Dengar is totally covered now, and need not be revisited ever again. No bounty hunter display is complete without him, although he was seen in ESB for a grand total of about 2 seconds!

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 12:30 PM »
It seems that Dengar is totally covered now, and need not be revisited ever again.
I wouldn't mind a resculpt of the RotJ version. All they would need to do is take the VC version and resculpt his back. It would be a good figure to include in a Jabba's Palace themed battlepack.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Dunno why Kenner made him so short. The 1981 one was okay for age, if boring compared to the other bounty hunters. For some reason as a young lad I intially thought his figure was a bandaged up Luke Skywalker after his confrontation with Vader or the Wampa...which just seems absurd.

What I've heard about Dengar's EU backstory, I can do without.   

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2011, 11:36 AM »
Well I finally got Dengar to complete by Bounty Hunter collection.
His sculpt is very well done and has great articulation. He can stand and pose very well. I've got  mine in a kneeling pose shooting that big rifle. I also had the 2004 version, the first with ball joint shoulders. He looked cool but with his head in a downward looking sculpt, limited him some.
But now with the new gritty badass Dengar, they got it just about right. Adding the ball socket torso is a plus and works well with his armor. The detail in the armor sculpting and outfit are very well done. Ony real question I have is the removable cod-piece. If it was a littlel snugger fit, I'd like it a little better; not a bad thing but just curious. I also like the detail again of the backback and is just as good as the 2004 version. Including his sidearm and holster is a great thing, as he had it as seen on the cardback. The headsculpt is very good, I like the effect of the outline around the wrap and his face. His head does seem a smidge too small and rides high up on the neck post. Other than missing the little buttons as seen on the original and 2004 Dengar, which one could resolve with a dot of brown paint if so inclined, I'd say this Dengar is the perfect version. I'm very happy!
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 02:45 PM »
Never cared much for Dengar when I was a kid. Fett and Bossk always were my favs to be calling the shots. Looking at the card photo, I now think that actor tried out for a Blizzard Force trooper, was deemed unworthy, but to give him a part anyway, Dengar was made up, some bad trooper armour casts from ILM/LFL were thrown in along with some toilet paper and he got his...... 20 seconds of fame  ;)