Author Topic: Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Speculation  (Read 36169 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Sequel Trilogy Speculation
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 06:40 PM »
Disney did pay $4 BILLION for the franchise.  I suspect that they want to monetize ownership of Star Wars as much as possible, and that's got to mean LOTS of Star Wars films.

The modern film franchise model has changed remarkably over the past few years.  The Harry Potter film franchise in particular generated 8 films and grossed over $7 Billion worldwide.  Disney has to be looking at what Warner Brothers did with the HP franchise as a model for how they might handle Star Wars going forward.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 07:32 PM »
The rumors have just gotten out of control. At this point I'm ready for real news. If Kasdan works on spinoffs, great, but hopefully he's involved in the trilogy, since that would be icing on the cake.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06 PM »
Multiple films per year might reinvigorate the franchise or burn it out.

Star Wars films were EVENT releases in the past (animated Clone Wars movie aside, which had a lukewarm reception).

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 01:42 PM »
No way they'll do multiple films per year, but I'm sure they're going to try and do at least one every couple of years or so.

And I wish they wouldn't. It's going to totally blow out the franchise. I'm all for the final trilogy, but having random SW movies pop up beyond that, to me, is totally unnecessary.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 02:14 PM »
A trilogy that picks up where the OT left off seems like a natural progression.  Beyond that, I could also see Disney doing something akin to what's been done with the X-Men franchise:  produce character focused spin-offs like the Wolverine movies.  And I suspect that we'll probably see something like that with Boba Fett.

Feedback

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 11:43 PM »
It's coming folks.  Whether it's good or bad they are going to make their money off of this franchise.  It's a good bet we will get a Boba Fett flick at some point.  You know if that does well the sky is the limit for other character films.  They could literally go any route here.  Young Han Solo and Chewbacca.  Vader.  Young Yoda.  Young Palpatine.  It's almost endless.  Jar-Jar (kidding).     

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 02:02 PM »
Star Wars Origins: Palpatine

Jedi Council: First Class

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 4, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Star Wars Origins: Willrow Hood
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 4, 2012, 04:58 PM »
Star Wars Origins: Willrow Hood

I hear the original actor's quote may be too high, so an offer has gone out to SNL's Keenan Thompson for that role.

;D

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I can't help but wonder how Star Wars VII will fare against some of the big opening records,  I have to think that it will destroy even the Avengers when it finally arrives.  Great to hear that Marvel continues to do well though - it is just amazing to see these characters on the big screen, especially with strong stories.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #25 on: May 1, 2013, 09:04 AM »
I think it depends on whether it's good or not.  Episode I would do much worse now in the RottenTomatoes era.  And with the history of poorly received Prequels, the Star Wars franchise could fall apart if the film isn't up to snuff.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 1, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I don't know if Episode VII will do Avengers type opening weekend numbers.  The prequels left a sour taste in the mouth of the casual Star Wars fan.  The only reason TPM made the most money was because it was the first Star Wars film in 16 years.  The poor story certainly hurt the box office of AOTC and the poor story of AOTC hurt the box office of ROTS, which was easily the best of the three prequels.

The saving grace for Episode VII will be signing the big three to appear in the film.  I think that will get people who were turned off by the prequels somewhat excited.  However, you are going to get the "they are too old" crowd.  The story will really be a key in all this.  Disney cannot afford to have a boring trade dispute/political story line.  There will need to be an enemy that is a credible threat to the Jedi and a lot more action than we saw in TPM.

When new movies were announced in the 90's, I really wanted them to make the sequel trilogy back then.  At that point, the major stars were not "too old".  Ford has always said he wouldn't play Solo again, but I bet Lucas could have at least got him to cameo for a death scene.  The other reason was so that nine episodes would have actually been made.  At that point, I never though Episodes VII through IX would be a certainty if Episodes I through III were completed.  Until the Disney sale, that was the road Lucas went down with his revisionist "I only intended to make six movies" statement.
« Last Edit: May 1, 2013, 11:26 AM by EdSolo »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #27 on: May 1, 2013, 12:39 PM »
The saving grace for Episode VII will be signing the big three to appear in the film.

That's actually the number one reason why I have little to no desire to see the movie at this point.  It's not only that they're too old (and they're way, WAY too old)... it's that their story was finished.  They rode off into the sunset.  I see it as a huge mistake to bring them back to face off against whatever other "even worse threat" they come up with.  It almost feels like a betrayal.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 1, 2013, 12:54 PM »
No, in Indiana Jones andthe Last Crusade they rode off into the sunset. In ROTJ, they patted each other on the back at the teddy bear picnic.

Besides, they've had 30 years of peace or something.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 4, 2013, 11:08 AM »
which makes it perfect for a new generation of 20-somethings to fight a new bad guy.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours