Author Topic: Batman - The Dark Knight Rises  (Read 47634 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Batman - The Dark Knight Rises
« Reply #15 on: November 3, 2010, 04:14 PM »
I'm just happy there's no Maggie Gyllenhaal.  I don't really like her, and thought she was a downgrade from Katie in TDK.  Not that Katie is the most brilliant actress, I just like her better.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #16 on: November 3, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Seeing how she was blown up in the last movie, I didn't think she'd be back.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 3, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I think Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises are two of the worst film titles ever and both in the same franchise, unprecedented?
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 4, 2010, 01:23 AM »
Batman Begins may be relatively uninspired, but The Dark Knight (no "Rises") is an excellent title.  Two of the worst titles in the history of film?  Hardly.

Not when you have titles like "Pootie Tang" or "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood."

Just sayin'.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 4, 2010, 02:36 AM »
Batman Begins may be relatively uninspired, but The Dark Knight (no "Rises") is an excellent title.  Two of the worst titles in the history of film?  Hardly.

Not when you have titles like "Pootie Tang" or "Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood."

Just sayin'.

E...

The Dark Knight is a brilliant title but the title I'm talking about, The Dark Knight Rises is not. Also you've just used two 'comedy' films as examples of bad titles but they don't count because they're not trying to have any serious meaning.

Batman Begins and The Dark Knight Rises (both unispired) can be considered two of the worst titles in the history of film but NOT the worst. The list could be endless and if numbered these two could be at the bottom or would at least be below Attack of the Clones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 4, 2010, 07:54 AM »
The list could be endless and if numbered these two could be at the bottom or would at least be below Attack of the Clones and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Attack of the Clones was the first title that came to mind when I read the thread title and KOCS I'd agree is also a fail.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 4, 2010, 10:46 AM »
Yeah, I can't say I was particularly impressed with "The Dark Knight Rises" as the title, but I'm still looking forward to the movie none the less.  I do like that they have gone the way with actual movie titles in the franchise though.  I think that sounds better than "Batman 2" or something.  The same way I like hearing "The Empire Strikes Back" instead of "Star Wars 2".  Although I like a number of movies with the simple "number" titles, I sort of wish more of the superhero/comic book movies went with actual different titles like this.

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 4, 2010, 01:56 PM »
I'm still looking forward to the movie none the less.

Agreed but at the minute all we have is the title lol

I do like that they have gone the way with actual movie titles in the franchise though.  I think that sounds better than "Batman 2" or something. 

The only time a number sounds good is if it has the word "Part" before it. Back to the Future, The Godfather and Return of the Living Dead for example.

The same way I like hearing "The Empire Strikes Back" instead of "Star Wars 2". 

er... Star Wars 5 surely?  :P

I sort of wish more of the superhero/comic book movies went with actual different titles like this.

Yeah Spiderman 2 was originally going to be The Amazing Spiderman but Sony chickened out. Maybe the reboot series will fix it.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 4, 2010, 02:09 PM »
The same way I like hearing "The Empire Strikes Back" instead of "Star Wars 2". 

er... Star Wars 5 surely?  :P

:)  Yeah, I guess I was thinking more in the OT time frame, when the original movies were first released.  I'd kind of like to see the next Spider-Man movie called something like "The Amazing Spider-Man" as well.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 07:42 PM »
Latest rumors are that Nolan is meeting with actresses for two female roles in the Dark Knight Rises, one a female lead/romantic interest and one a villain.  The short list is said to include Anne Hathaway, Keira Knightley, Natalie Portman, Blake Lively, Naomi Watts, and Rachel Weisz.  Although it has been done before, I don't know if I'd want to see someone like Lively in two DC properties (she plays Carol Ferris in the GL movie as well).  Otherwise, seems like a nice list.  It is tough to know for sure, but one would think the villain role would be Catwoman, or possibly Talia al Ghul.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 08:37 PM »
What about Poison Ivy or Harley?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 10:27 PM »
I think the villain is almost certainly Catwoman or Talia.  I'm pulling for Catwoman (Rachel Weisz!!!), but Talia may make the most sense given where the story has been (Batman Begins).

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 10:08 AM »
They did drop a verbal cue in the last flick that the new body armor would protect against dogs...or cats.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 04:07 PM »
So its both Catwoman and Talia.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Here are some possibilities that I wouldn't mind seeing based on that list of actresses and the characters they could play.

• Natalie Portman - Harley Quinn (villain). Revenge storyline to follow up on the Joker plot from TDK.
  • Naomi Watts - Poison Ivy (villain). After the way they handled Scarecrow in the first film, I think they could find a plot that wasn't derivative (or only slightly) and create a good bad guy with this character.
  • Rachel Weisz - Selina Kyle/Catwoman (love interest/foil). Love interest for this film, intro Catwoman and maybe set her up for a possible fourth film?
  • Keira Knightley - Talia al Ghul (villain/love interest). Another revenge storyline with some potential.
  • Ann Hathaway - Vicki Vale (love interest) would have to go along with a villain, maybe either Poison Ivy or Quinn.
  • Blake Lively - Don't want to see her in this film, she's already dropping into the DC universe in the GL film.

My favorite choices would be Portman as the villain, Quinn, and Weisz as Kyle/Catwoman, the love interest for the film who could also cause some additional frustration for Batman.

If not, I'd go for Knightley as Talia to play both the love interest and villain.

Either storyline would have some been there, done that stuff with it but I think Quinn/Kyle would make a helluva film.

I'm not an Ann Hathaway fan and really would have no interest in seeing her in the film in any role.  I also wouldn't like seeing Lively here as she's already in GL.  Portman is in Thor so seeing her in yet another superhero film could be a little redundant, so I'd have no problem with Knightley as Quinn if Nolan went that route for a villain.

E...