Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556398 times)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
The Walking Dead
« on: November 2, 2010, 08:09 AM »
Anyone catch The Walking Dead?  Fantastic first episode that had everything anyone could ask for - drama, emotion, hot chicks, gore and zombies (the best looking ones I've seen, especially for a TV series).

Hopefully this gets picked up for a second season, 6 episodes isn't enough.

Should this show get it's own thread?  Granted, it's not for everyone, but my guess is it'll get enough interest here.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1 on: November 2, 2010, 09:42 AM »
I missed the premiere on Sunday night, but I'm going to DVR the replay on Friday night (10:00 PM EST).  I'm looking forward to it and have heard nothing but good things about it so far.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: November 2, 2010, 09:42 AM »
I watched it on Sunday...  I'm not sure I'll stick with it (too many zombie headshots), but I thought it was really good.

Parts of it were scary as hell for me... esp. the part with the dark stairwell at the hospital.  No way would I have gone in there after seeing the stuff he saw in the hallway.

I also loved the overhead shot at the end, swarming the tank... creepy.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 2, 2010, 09:46 AM »
What station is this on? A&E, AMC? I remember it has an A  :-\

May have to give it a watch. I think I get those channels.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 2, 2010, 10:10 AM »
AMC - the station my wife boycotted because they cancelled Remember WENN.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 2, 2010, 01:37 PM »
How could she boycott Mad Men???
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2010, 03:56 PM »
"Hey Dumbass...."

I like the guy that got on the radio to him once he got in the tank. 

****** thing is, you can't get to the drivers compartment in an Abrams from the turret.  :-\

It's a fantastic series though, if episode 1 was any indication.  The zombie capital of the world is proud. :P

People have been wondering if the half-eaten woman in the park is someone he knew.  Why go back to her and shoot her, when all the crap going on around you is taking place?  I'd likely have avoided lingering there.  Should've stayed at the cop station.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2010, 04:17 PM »

****** thing is, you can't get to the drivers compartment in an Abrams from the turret.  :-\

Nerd.

People have been wondering if the half-eaten woman in the park is someone he knew.  Why go back to her and shoot her, when all the crap going on around you is taking place?  I'd likely have avoided lingering there.  Should've stayed at the cop station.

I don't think he knew her, I think he just wanted to put her out of her misery.  Remember, that scene was being intercut with the scene of the father doing target practice from the window so he could put zombie wife out of her misery (but ultimately couldn't).  Rick probably felt sorry for half zombie woman.  It took half zombie how long to tranverse the park? Two days?  Something Rick did in ten minutes.  Even for a half dead witless creature, that has to suck.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: November 2, 2010, 04:24 PM »
I guess there's a possible way for the driver to get through, but the turret has to be ina  specific position for it to happen.  ;D  Making me even nerdier.

Toob ad he can't drive it.  I'd dig seeing some zombie crushing with a tank.

And you're right Mike.  A guy who has kept up with the comic since its beginning said that it was a way for him to show that he cares, and that he's not just a jerk, and that he's accepting the situation he's been put into, and that he knows that the zombies are still people and they're just overcome by something they couldn't control.  Showing basically that he's a good man, and still has feelings about everything, but that he'd do the right thing.

I still say its a waste of a bullet though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 3, 2010, 10:21 AM »
So would a hord of zombies really be able to bring down a horse and rip into it with their teeth and fingers? It just doesn't seem posible to rip into a horse like that without a knife.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 3, 2010, 04:27 PM »
So would a hord of zombies really be able to bring down a horse and rip into it with their teeth and fingers? It just doesn't seem posible to rip into a horse like that without a knife.

Keep in mind that a lot of the hands are likely sporting long/broken finger nails and/or broken bones.  You can stratch through your own skin pretty easily with filed down nails (at least the top layers), so I think zombies could probably cut through horse flesh en masse.

I have read some of the WD comics and can't wait to catch this show.  We don't get AMC, but am hoping to catch it online.  Anyone know if AMC.com is carrying it?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 3, 2010, 08:03 PM »
This brings up the interesting lunch conversations my friends were having one day, about how many 8 year olds you could fight off before you're overwhelmed.  You have no weapons, only your body to defend yourself.

The horse faced his 8 year olds, and he lost.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 4, 2010, 01:28 AM »
Or how many Cambodian Midgets Wrestlers can a lion hold off? 

I passed on watching this Sunday night, not realizing that they weren't going to rebroadcast the first episode during the week.  I may try to catch up with it online and then follow it but if not, I may just wait till AMC runs a marathon before their second season or whatever.

I'm generally not a zombie fan but this show does sound interesting and it's been getting good buzz.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: November 4, 2010, 01:53 AM »
Hmmm, that is a little less personal of a question, but valid nonetheless.

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 4, 2010, 09:20 AM »

I passed on watching this Sunday night, not realizing that they weren't going to rebroadcast the first episode during the week. 

Actually, the show is rebroadcast multiple times during the week.  The next showing of the first episode is tomorrow night at 10:00 PM EST.

The Walking Dead schedule