Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556416 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1155 on: December 16, 2013, 12:02 PM »
I don't get the complaint about the pattern of the show being 1) hold up somewhere 2) Fight Walkers/other people 3.) Forced to move on.  Not targeting you specifically, but I have heard a few people complain about this and I don't really get it.  For starters, they haven't even really been following this pattern since the main group has been at the prison for over a season now.  I find it more boring when they hold up somewhere for long periods - keep them on the run!  There are literally millions and millions of undead and everyone still around is fighting for increasingly scarce resources.  No where is really safe for long - if it was, then it would be stupid that all these other places were overrun.  If the survivors found someplace safe to live forever, then what's interesting or scary about that?  I don't know about others, but I'm sick of the prison at this point and glad they are actually moving on.  I feel like people are complaining that the cast is always running from zombies - that's the show people! 

Honestly, I think they're doing an incredible job of keeping it fresh.  Introducing new characters here and there, fighting off a variety of dangers (the flu? awesome idea), shifting alliances and relationships.  This last run with the group all getting separated from the prison is one of the greatest chapters from the books and I loved seeing it in the show.  What the hell is everyone going to do now that they're on their own with the protection of the gates or each other?  In the book, this is the end of the council and the return of a more determined, kick-butt Rick.  There are lots of other interesting survivors to run into and places to investigate. What happens when the food runs out?  What are they going to do about bullets long term?  Who will they run into next?  Who can they trust?    I'm homesick for the back half of the season already!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1156 on: December 16, 2013, 03:20 PM »
I think the pattern basically makes sense...  The Prison was safe, to an extent, but clearly was under siege with the fences coming down, and around back it has the hole in the wall...  It wasn't perfect by any means, and very little is, or could be perfect...  Woodburry was a sign of what fortifications needed to be, but civilization (or lack thereof) prevent things like that from working unless you have TREMENDOUS manpower and firepower.

I think the pattern basically makes sense...  Humans will look for sanctuary and safety.  The "on the road constantly" thing wasn't working, so they instinctively look for a home to set up shop...  Others will always want what you have though.  Islands would be ideal really, but what are the odds you can pull things like that off?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05 PM »
I also think the pattern or 'cycle' makes sense.  You're on the run and after awhile, you get tired and just want a place to rest and call 'home'... or maybe want to capitalize on a stockpile of food that you wouldn't have footin' it.  Of course, settling in can cause a person's judgment to lapse and make themselves prone to attack.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06 PM »
Every human being left alive should be slowly making their way north anyway. Let winter neutralize the walker threat. If there's one thing I learned from WWZ, it's zack don't do cold.

I think the key to survival is very simple - you just have to stay hidden from everyone else. Period. If no one can find you/get at you, that's half the battle right there. Then you just solve the food problem and hunker down. (I know, gross oversimplification)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: December 16, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Don't get me wrong - I'm not one of those people who hates the show (any show) and complains about it but still watches it. I really dig the show and have written my own zombie apocalypse stories because of TWD. I guess I was more wondering out loud how the show will go with the various possible story lines. I'm interested in the potential Rick/Carl story lines since my teenage son and I watch it together. Plus the young romance between Maggie and Glen (but mostly due to  my crush on actress Lauren Cohan lol). What IF she gets preggers - is that really wise, can any woman safely carry a baby to term with severely limited supplies and medical aid etc. ?
I do think the threat of the original crop of walkers should be diminished due to them completely dying off. But with a continue source of newly walking dead for various reasons, that threat will never go away. But it's the other living people who are more of a serious threat.
So I'm very excited about what comes next with the show.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 16, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Every human being left alive should be slowly making their way north anyway. Let winter neutralize the walker threat. If there's one thing I learned from WWZ, it's zack don't do cold.

I'd rather off myself than deal with the cold/snow/perpetual winter and gloomy skies. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1161 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01 PM »
Being from Pittsburgh, I'm already living that, so yeah, I'm a survivor. :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 16, 2013, 10:32 PM »
Being from Pittsburgh, I'm already living that, so yeah, I'm a survivor. :P

Seriously?  Have you ever even had pemmican. 

******' *****.

:-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1163 on: December 16, 2013, 11:22 PM »
During the apocalypse, we'll do ever increasing pemmican trading.  Our ****** weather shall protect us.  You have an advantage of seeing the zombies coming 3 days before they get to you though too...  That's good planning.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:23 PM by Jesse James »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 17, 2013, 12:06 AM »
Minnesota has its fair share of snow & cold.  Given the choice, I'd rather be dodging zombies in Florida than hunkered down in the middle of winter with no power.  Even beyond the cold, its only light here for what, 7-8 hours at the onset of winter?  I'd much rather be on the run.  What they really need to do is just start digging a massive trench and mark off a big chunk of land to rebuild in.  That'd work a lot better than fences...well, until there's a flood I suppose. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1165 on: December 17, 2013, 08:10 AM »
During the apocalypse, we'll do ever increasing pemmican trading.  Our ****** weather shall protect us. 

And the rivers!  Never forget the rivers.  Just gotta put up a wall from Duquesne to the Strip and we're golden.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1166 on: December 17, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Start getting buses to overturn and some excavators.  I call dibs on the courthouse.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: January 6, 2014, 05:55 PM »
So I'm thinking about starting to read the graphic novel series. I was pursuing the iTunes book store no saw that they have the compendiums as eBooks. One of the things that didn't appeal to me about the graphic novels was the size to store then all. The iTunes version solves that issue!  I downloaded the sample (first 80 pages or so) and it seems like a good way to read these.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: January 6, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Brent I've got a copy of compendium 1 that I'm about to sell if you're interested.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1169 on: January 7, 2014, 02:11 AM »
I have up to issue 115 on my hard drive.  PM me if you'd like me to burn it to a cd for you.
This is the way.

I have spoken.