Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557942 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2011, 07:13 AM »
I thought last night was pretty good.  I'm interested to see how Rick shooting Sophia is going to turn out.  I imagine her mom is going to be pretty pissed that he left her alone in the first place after she ran off.  I thought it was pretty sad the way she turned out and didn't think that was going to happen.

Shane went freakin' crazy and I'm stuck on if that was a good or a bad thing.  I'm wondering if Rick is about to flip and become a bit more aggressive when dealing with what he wants. 

My wife swore to me she wasn't going to watch the show and she actually stays up with me and has watched the past couple of episodes before heading off to sleep.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2011, 09:55 AM »
It's so weird to see what they are and are not sticking true to the comic book on...

I'm curious what you are thinking of specfically here?

I have read a lot of the comics, and most of my recollection centers around Michonne, the "Governor", Rick's hand, etc. (Oh yeah, AND SHANE GETTING KILLED!) They aren't going anywhere near that stuff it seems like. So they must be pulling inspiration from the ones I haven't read yet.

That ending last night was BRUTAL, and completely awesome. I wasn't sure where they would ultimately end up going with the Sophia arc, so it was somewhat of a shock. Really well done though, even before that point it was a pretty powerful scene. Poor Herschel looked like he was in shock.

Great point brought up on the Talking Dead later: (I hate shows that talk about other shows but this one is just too full of good information to pass up, plus they had Kirkman on last night)

Otis would have been the one who "corralled" Sophia and got her into the barn, and he never even found out she was missing befoe Shane offed him, so it would seem NOBODY knew she was in there. This is the implied backstory anyway, according to Kirkman.

The slow descent of Shane is compelling, but this is going to have a short shelf life. He can't just keep getting crazier and crazier, sooner or later he is going to get killed by his own people. Probably Lori, or maybe even the kid.

I think that final scene pretty much repudiates Shane's whole take on Rick not being tough enough to survive in a walker world. I expect we'll see a leaner, meaner Rick going forward.

Damn, I'm gonna miss this show!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2011, 12:20 PM »
It's so weird to see what they are and are not sticking true to the comic book on...

Like the Harry Potter Series I'm not spoiling this by reading anything prior to watching the show.  And like Potter, I suspect the written version may well be superior meaning for me, the best comes later. 

Still enjoying the show.

I started reading the comic a few days ago, but settled back to where you are on this.  Will let the series play out, then read.  That's how I experienced LOTR and loved it.  HP was the opposite, read first then watched movies.  I'm still on the fence about whether to read along or read after on the Game of Thrones series...so far, it's all just been HBO, but I'm really eager to read. 

On that note...thanks for the spoiler warning about the comics, McMetal.  Very nice.   ::)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:20 PM by name »
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Yes - I would appreciate spoiler warnings.  I don't want to have any inkling of what might or might not happen according to the comics.  Not cool.  Maybe someone could start a Walking Dead Comic/Spoiler Thread. 
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2011, 01:22 PM »

I'm curious what you are thinking of specfically here?

Specifically Sophia (and less specifically Shane).

In the comics Shane never made it to Hershel's farm and Sophia is still alive at this point in the comics.

That's all, I didn't want to be specific and was intentionally vague because I didn't want to spoil the end of the Sophia story-line in case folks hadn't seen the episode last night yet...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2011, 02:27 PM »
A basic Walker question/behavior has bothered me since the beginning.  As vicious as the Walkers are and as ferocious as their appetites - how does one survive an attack to become one?  It seems like everyone gets eaten unless someone intervenes with a weapon.
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2011, 03:41 PM »
A basic Walker question/behavior has bothered me since the beginning.  As vicious as the Walkers are and as ferocious as their appetites - how does one survive an attack to become one?  It seems like everyone gets eaten unless someone intervenes with a weapon.

Watch the webisodes on the "half woman" from episode one.  You'll see that some sometimes, you can get severely eaten, but still have enough remaining to be a walker (or a crawler...or a scooter...)  I guess as long as the brain is left intact, you're coming back.  Most would, I assume, have become walker by being bitten and then escaping before being too badly dismembered.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2011, 04:29 PM »
I guess.  I just wonder how Sophia would have escaped with just a bite or two.......

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Maybe Sophia was bitten by a crawler or something and was able to run away before she changed to full zombie. Hopefully this won't mean an Otis won't so up full body later with his bullet holes showing.

Hate to be Carl. All that is left is old ladies.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2011, 07:28 PM »
Well, much like True Blood, the source material and show really vary pretty significantly, so I wouldn't really qualify any discussion of the comic storylines as spoilers. Shane gets killed very early on in the comic, so they have long since left that in the dust. If you're still keen on reading the comics that's cool, but those things have been around for years so it's hard to spoil something that stale to begin with. But ya, will try to be more careful in the future, sorry.

Kirkman basically said he is letting the storyline develop organically, and has not committed to any particular continuity from the comic, so I think we'll continue to see some significant divergence between the two.

SO why was Rick surprised to learn Lori was pregnant if the doctor told him back at the CDC?  ;)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 29, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Maybe Sophia was bitten by a crawler or something and was able to run away before she changed to full zombie. Hopefully this won't mean an Otis won't so up full body later with his bullet holes showing.

I would say watch the Webisodes on the AMC website and you'll have no worries about Otis showing up with a bullet hole in his leg.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #206 on: November 29, 2011, 09:42 PM »
I think a lot of people get away with a bite or two...  I agree with that theory.

Also, seems like a zombification is possible simply from dying too...  Darryl mentioned about the one who hung himself becoming a zombie because he didn't shoot himself in the head.

I've got tons of zombie questions that there's just no solid information for at this point...  can they starve (one can guess they can, otherwise why give them chickens?), or are they just going to wander hungry forever?

Talking Dead is great afterwards...  reminds me of a geeky english class or something where you discuss whatever BS read you were assigned. :)  It's a fun little extra.

The series just gets better and better...

I'm going to interject here real quick that all spoilers, including the comics, should be left out...  The comics aren't being followed strictly, but they are being followed and injected heavily into the show, so I think it's fair to consider the comics and other material as spoiler potential in the discussion.  It doesn't necessarilly mean they will come to fruition but it is possible.  I've never read them so I really don't want to know anything about them.

One thing I'm curious to see in the future...

The Vatos mentioned it briefly, but the other suvivors are "the worst kind".  Shane in bulk.  I'm very curious to see future "groups" that are making it through the new world.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 30, 2011, 02:29 AM »
The guy that hung himself in the woods left a note, something that rhymed about being bit, feeling sick, world had gone to **** and killing himself.  But the guy didn't know that hanging wouldn't do him in and that he should have shot himself instead, which is what Darryl commented on.

So I don't know if just dying without being bit could lead to you coming back.  But, someone had to be sick first and turn into a zombie so that's one of the nagging questions I have.  How did it start?  It had to be like an infection that people died of and then came back and they spread it by biting people.  Because if it was one person running around biting people then it should have been easy to start killing off the original zombies.  But a flu-like disease, harder to deal with.

That's the type of thing that I wish the show would get to at some point.  It doesn't seem like anyone cares about that.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #208 on: November 30, 2011, 10:15 AM »
That's the type of thing that I wish the show would get to at some point.  It doesn't seem like anyone cares about that.

They have been pretty upfront that the primary focus of the show would be surviving.  More realistic to think that a small group would be more concerned with just staying alive rather than having two cops, a wife, and a couple others trying to solve what apparently the CDC couldn't.

And on that note - SPOILER SPECULATION...

.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.

I agree with the theory that everyone is screwed even without the bites.  I agree with those guessing that is what the CDC guy said - something like "everyone is already infected".  Doesn't matter if you get bit or what, the dead will rise. 

Maybe a bite induces active "zombie virus" (for lack of a better term) and that kills you, which allows the latent "virus" (or contagion or whatever) that is already in you to turn you into a zombie yourself.  Without the bite, the "zombie contagion" lays dormant until you die and then some chemical decomposition in dying activates the zombie parasite (probably in the brain) to take over your body.  A zombie bite just accelerates the process.

Like E said, those origin cases had to start somewhere and a contagion type spread makes more sense than 1-2 original zombies biting all sorts of people...

.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.

I'm very curious to see future "groups" that are making it through the new world.

Oh man, assuming we stay close to the comic, you'll get your chance to see some of the "finest" examples out there - guys who make Shane look pretty good by comparison.  :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 30, 2011, 10:27 AM »
And on that note - SPOILER SPECULATION...

.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.

Let me borrow your formating. I havn't read the comic but have read Wikipedia. Seems any death causes zombie state. Maybe the bite just kills you, and dying cause you to be a walker. At this point to the text Shane is dead, and Rick goes back to dig him up to find out he is a zombie.

.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.
.spoiler spacer.