Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557898 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #240 on: January 31, 2012, 02:27 PM »
I'm waiting on the Blu-rays.  I couldn't tolerate AMC's horrific HD broadcast on Verizon FiOS.

Was the second season worth watching?  I haven't followed it at after the first or second episode (deer hunting accident).  I heard complaints it was dull/nothing happened.  And I've been avoiding this thread for fear of spoilers. 

So - spoiler free - is it worth me investing a handful of Netflix rentals?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 31, 2012, 02:45 PM »
Bill, I've felt the story has been a bit slow, but little bits and pieces of interesting stuff seems to get thrown in each episode.  The mid-season finale  ::) was really good and was somewhat of a cliffhanger to the second half.  The second half is really supposed to push the story along IIRC.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #242 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34 PM »
I am watching for a S2 marathon, so if anyone catches wind of it, a head's up here would be super-appreciated!

The show returns February 12th.  I would expect a marathon all day.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #243 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59 PM »
Bill, IMO it's the best thing on TV and the only show I never miss.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 1, 2012, 10:42 AM »
I agree this season has been "slower" than the first, but that doesn't make it any less fun to watch.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 1, 2012, 11:18 AM »
Sounds pretty similar to the comics.  I haven't seen Season 2 yet, but I have read all of the Walking Dead comics to date.  Kirkman slows the story down a bit to help build character.  Then when you least expect it, everything goes to hell and people start dying.  It isn't the constant thrill rush of most zombie movies, but I think it gets you more vested in the people.  And when the action turns back on it's more of a surprise and more exciting because you've let your guard down a little.  The storytelling approach reminds me a lot of LOST, without the flashbacks.  You get a lot of day-to-day "here's how we're surviving" for a while, then some crazy turn leaves your jaw hanging open.

By the way, there is a big letters column at the end of the comics, where people write in about both the show and the comic now.  I've tried to skip any TV spoilers, but this last issue had a lot of discussion about differences in the storyline.  Kirkman is very much treating these as two entirely different universes.  The characters are generally the same, but they may act very different in one story versus another.  Big plot points like the CDC or certain people dying/not dying are very different between the two stories.  I'm looking at you, Shane.  Anyway, for anyone afraid of reading the comics/GN's because of plot spoilers, have no fear.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 1, 2012, 03:24 PM »
I am watching for a S2 marathon, so if anyone catches wind of it, a head's up here would be super-appreciated!

The show returns February 12th.  I would expect a marathon all day.
I searched my cable company's guide, including their iPad app, to no avail.  The AMC website shows a marathon immediately preceding the new episodes on 2/12  The mini-marathon starts at 1:30PM.  Season one airs the night before for those wishing to catch up on all 13 episodes.  Thanks for the advice, Matt!

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 3, 2012, 04:39 PM »
Just got a notification on FB from AMC/Walking Dead - Season 1 Marathon on 2/11 - and Season 2 Marathon on 2/12.  Happy watching!
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 3, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Bill, IMO it's the best thing on TV and the only show I never miss.

Amen!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2012, 10:03 AM »
It's back tonight! Team Shane versus Team Rick? Who will you follow?!?!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2012, 11:07 AM »
I finally caught the first episode of season 1 this morning so i'm good.  bring it on!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Finally remembered to record the marathon AND the new episode tonight! :D
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2012, 04:17 PM »
It's back tonight! Team Shane versus Team Rick? Who will you follow?!?!

Funny that you put it this way.

I think Rick is going to be pulled Shane's direction, pretty drastically.  But at the same time, I think Shane is going to mellow a bit and become a bit more compassionate...maybe not much, but some.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2012, 10:17 PM »
Enjoyed the episode.  As long as the writers don't do a Greedo shot first thing down the road. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2012, 11:03 PM »
Good episode, felt sort of like mop-up duty until the last 10 minutes. Then BANG, Rick makes me man-crush on him again...brutal, awesome.

Everything about Lori just makes me shake my head now. It's like all the other writers work on the other characters and make them great and the one stupid, lazy, sloppy writer that always shows up late to work gets stuck writing Lori's character, and it shows.

WHAT THE HELL was she even thinking? Rick and Glenn already went to get Hershel, and they knew the chick was sick, so what exactly was the burning new information that was so urgent to pass along? To tell them to hurry up? Was that really necessary? And she doesn't even think to take the dude from the farm with her? That seems like a lot of stupid risk for pretty much no point whatsoever.

Next week looks tense!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy