Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557792 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #585 on: November 7, 2012, 08:34 AM »
I don't know... there's already a black guy on Merle's Woodbury security team (the one eying up Michonne when she arrived).  So I don't see that playing out like you expected.

Funny how as soon as they had a new black guy to take his place in the group, they offed T-Dog.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 7, 2012, 08:42 AM »
I was sad, but not shocked to see T-Dawg come to an end.  As edgy as this show is, I don't think even they would want to veer into what a racist (Merle) would do to an African American, and it is inevitable that the prison crew collides with the Woodbury crew soon.  It would either come off disingenuous and out of character, or they would have surely made some headlines.

I thought about the possible Merle/T-Dog meeting, but watching the third episode I realized Merle might have been forced to overcome (or at least stow away) his racism to work with the Governor. I know there was one prominent black guy in the Governor's group, along with a couple of hispanic guys, that Merle was working with. I did expect Merle and T-Dog to inevitably meet, so the events in the last episode were definitely an unexpected curve ball.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 7, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I don't think I was exactly clear...  What I meant was the Merle character would clearly want to kill T-Dog and Rick for what they did to him.  In a society where Terry Bradshaw gets in trouble for mentioning fried chicken, I'd imagine that someone would be "offended" that a "racist" character (even if he's not racist anymore) killed a black man.  If Merle had come back to the fold and NOT wanted to kill T-Dog, and not even for just purely racial reasons, then that would be silly.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2012, 02:17 PM by Qui-Gon Jim »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #588 on: November 7, 2012, 02:37 PM »
Gotcha.  I think that'd fall under the "we're trying to be realistic" defense and wouldn't cause much of an uproar.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 11, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Was that Merle that Maggie had a gun drawn on in next week's preview?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #590 on: November 11, 2012, 11:43 PM »
Excellent. My post erases itself.

Anyone else feel there's ****** editing or major plotholes with the three graves being dug and filled in?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 11, 2012, 11:58 PM »
Excellent. My post erases itself.

Anyone else feel there's ****** editing or major plotholes with the three graves being dug and filled in?

I'm curious as well.  Obviously T-Dogg's body was recovered.  You can make a case for Lori's, even though there is nothing to indicate they went in to get it.  You would think the third would be for Carol, but there is no evidence to indicate she's dead other than the wrap she had been wearing.  You would think they'd say something.  Maybe Talking Dead will give a clue.  Next week stands to be interesting though.

Maybe the third grave is for Hershel's leg...they don't want it reanimating and starting a one legged butt kicking contest.  (My lame attempt at humor after a long weekend).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 11:59 PM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 12, 2012, 12:24 AM »
Director Greg Nicotero said that the bloated zombie Rick kills had eaten Lori, meaning her grave is empty...very strange. This means the walker sought out her body, maybe opened a door...or Maggie and Carl left it open?

Michonne is fearless, but in an occassional dumb way...leaving the book open...killing those walkers.

Solar powered walker magnet?

The guvnah's girl...he's the bad parts of Hershel and Rick rolled into one.

Waiting for someone to show up alive with Carol that shouldn't be alive...no idea...but what else is the point of that part?

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #593 on: November 12, 2012, 06:32 AM »
We are supposed to believe the single zombie ate the entire corpse in less than 24 hours, bones and all? Woah, that's dumb.

And surely they wouldn't dig a full sized grave to bury a leg? Dumbasses.

Or a full size grave dug and filled in for someone completely consumed AND someone simply missing?

The whole thing is stupid.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #594 on: November 12, 2012, 07:53 AM »
In a post-apocalyptic world burying when you can burn is a ridiculous choice.  It was done for one reason - ceremony.  Honor their dead.  And if they're gonna dig one useless grave, might as well dig 3.

But yeah - pretty dumb.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #595 on: November 12, 2012, 07:57 AM »
These Yankee producers need a Southron boy like myself to step in and say, "That there is stupid."

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00 AM »
In a post-apocalyptic world burying when you can burn is a ridiculous choice.  It was done for one reason - ceremony.  Honor their dead.  And if they're gonna dig one useless grave, might as well dig 3.

But yeah - pretty dumb.

I think in Season 1 someone mentioned the group buries the ones they loved, and burns the rest... I'm guessing since there was nothing left of two people they intended to bury (Carol and Lori) they just put their possessions in the graves.

As for the rest of the episode, I enjoyed it. They pulled off Penny and the fighting arena really well. The only things I dislike about the show are the pacing and ambiguous fates for characters. I'm still used to full episodes of Rick's group, so I feel shortchanged when those characters wind up with half an episode due to Woodbury... and they need to stop with the offscreen/ambiguous deaths. Did Carl really shoot Lori? Did Lori really get eaten? Is Carol really dead? After the Andrew incident I'm a skeptic about every death on the show... if they don't show it happen, the character is still alive!

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09 AM »
Another strong episode, this whole season has been terrific so far. I love the opening juxtaposition of the people in Woodbury drinking their ice tea and kicking back while everything is unravelling over at the prison.

The 3 graves would be for Lori, T-Dog and Carol, but I agree that it seems odd everyone is so willing to believe Carol is dead when there is no real evidence at all. On the other hand, WTF would she be? She's been gone awhile by now.

The scene with Michonne taking out the walkers was insanely awesome. The boot stomp in particular was frigging excellent. She really doesn't seem to try too hard to make a compelling case for leaving though. No mention (again) of the blood or bullet holes in the vehicle, all the stuff from the Governor's office, etc. Kinda hard to blame Andrea for not being convinced.

And oh yeah, Walker Arena!!! Not what I was expecting...was kind of hoping they would unchain the zombies and go for some kind of Thunderdome-esque free-for-all, but instead we just got Merle and some other dope pummeling themselves. Glad to see Andrea was appalled though, seems like the impetus she needed to get the hell out now. Nice nod to the comics on that one too.

Rick is in a pretty bad place, it's hard to watch. I gotta call BS on two things though: there is no way that walker ate ALL of Lori, sorry just not possible. Explain how he swallowed that femur please. And come on - the PHONES STILL WORK?!?!

Nice moment to end the episode on and all, but yeah, call routing would be the first thing to go and you can't generate your own internal dial tone with no power.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:54 AM by McMetal »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 12, 2012, 09:52 AM »
You're watching a show about zombies and you're picking apart telephones and whether or not one could eat a whole body?  The entire show is based off physical near impossibilities...

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 12, 2012, 10:53 AM »
I was actually just kidding about the phones, I know where they are going with that.   ;)

But yeah, you can't swallow a leg bone. It's all about suspension of disbelief. People are always more willing to buy a "Big Lie" than a smaller one. I can rationalize dead people re-animating, but gulping down an entire rib cage? Not so much.

I agree given the overall context it's a rather absurd thing to comment on, but that's the beauty of the internet!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy