Community > Watto's Junk Yard

The Walking Dead

<< < (150/522) > >>

Greg:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on February 20, 2013, 07:54 PM ---I have a friend, she's a huge zombie-phile, and she's pushing me to read the books so we have more to talk about with it because she's read them all...  I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up the first one soon. 

I keep getting told so many of teh aspects are different that it's worth reading them and doesn't spoil the show much.

--- End quote ---

Just some advice Jesse: If you don't mind shelling out more money at once, go for the Compendiums. Each volume has 48 issues. It is cheaper overall than buying individual TPBs, plus once you start reading you might not be able to stop. The Compendiums mostly eliminate the need to change books. :D

Jesse James:
Yeah I figure I'll go that way...  I buy SW comics in whole volumes now.  I like them looking more like actual books plus being able to just grab the one I want by the title on the spine...  All that appeals to me on stuff on my book shelf. :)

Tracy:

--- Quote from: JediJman on February 18, 2013, 01:29 PM ---I also don't get why Rick/Daryl/Merle have that stranded look on the outside.  The fence was breached and there are now what 10-15 zombies between the interior and exterior fences?  Heck, they took out more than than saving Rick!  I don't get why they didn't immediately run back around to the interior fence and kill off everything that got through, then try to plug up the holes in the fence?  The longer they wait, the worse that's going to get. 

--- End quote ---

I took the last shot as being symbolic of how fractured/separated the group is becoming.  The longer they stand around and wait to fix it - the worse it's going to get......

On another note - besides the great things that everybody has brought up - there is a little thing that has been bothering me.  In the previews for this week's episode Carol is talking to Daryl about what a bad influence Merle is on him.   I like the relationship Carol and Daryl are building - albiet slowly - I just hope she doesn't turn into Lori and start nagging and harping on him about Shane.2  I like the way Carol has come into her own - I hope it's handled well - she usually has a good way of talking to Daryl.

JediJman:
I think its great that Carol is willing to risk talking to Daryl about Merle.  He seems to be realizing it on his own, but I think having someone else to lean on for a change will be good for Daryl.  I really don't see her turning into Lori, but even if she did I'd have more tolerance for the advice of an abused-widow than the wife-who-slept-with-the-best-friend.

Jesse - if you're looking to read the books, I would actually suggest the Trades over the Compendiums.  Amazon has the trades for $3-8 each, while the compendium is going to run you +$30.  You can get the first 7 trade for about $40.  Beyond price, I find comics in a compendium to be annoying because you have to either limit opening the book to 90 degrees or pry the binding apart to see everything.  The Trades also give you new covers and they all fit together to form an ongoing picture, which is kind of cool.  I also like how the storylines kind of wrap up a little with each trade, kind of like chapters.  It makes it easier to remember where and when events took place in the story.

If you wanted to go with the original comic format, they've also re-published a good chunk of them for $.99 a pop.  You could probably find a good chunk of them for cheap going that route, but might be more tedious trying to find individual issues. 

To each their own, but I love the trades.  I would still be buying them, but once I caught up to the current storyline I had to start getting the monthlies.

Jesse James:
I think that's what I was thinking of...  Like how SW comics are bound by series, but there's like CW Vol1, Vol2, etc.

That's what I prefer...  Not a giant book of everything, oh no.

Individual comics I'm not a fan of because they don't store well, and you can't pick it off your shelf and get the exact volume you want since there's no spine to them really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version