Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 556376 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #930 on: October 15, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Don't know the celeb but Gimple was very forthcoming about the upcoming season without spoiling things much.

Nathan Fillion. Firefly? Lost? Castle? He is a nerd celeb god, right up there with Bruce Campbell. Awesome dude.

I guess it could be argued that Crazy Clara was not real, but it doesn't fit the storyline IMO. Crazy Rick is gone. That was symbolized by the whole metaphor with Lori not appearing at the end of last season when they brought the new people in. The idea I think is that he is being slowly healed by a spirit of community. I don't see how it serves to move the plot forward if he starts going nuts again.

I think it's more likely she was real and had simply survived by virtue of having a "pet" around like Michonne did. And I don't think Rick took anything because what did she have of value? That knife? I'm sure that tent and those sleeping bags reeked of stank. They could easily get all that stuff from Big Lots anyway.

Someone should be working on digging some tunnels out of that place too. Just to be prepared.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #931 on: October 15, 2013, 11:53 AM »
The idea I think is that he is being slowly healed by a spirit of community. I don't see how it serves to move the plot forward if he starts going nuts again.

I kinda thought that was the point of Rick's talk with Hershel... Rick was wondering if "you can come back" and Herschel tells him, 'your son came back, you came back'.  I though that was them telling us that Rick was healed/healing from the tragedy of Lori's death, but I guess I can see how people read that as Rick still worried because he is still hallucinating things (camping lady).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #932 on: October 15, 2013, 01:07 PM »
I don't think Ricks health is that black and white...  You come back, to a point.  Things are nice, sure, and that's helped him...  But those noise cancelling iPod while he worked said everything about how fragile he is.  I lean to him NOT hallucinating Nell (credit to Matt) but I think he's far from truly "healed".  The group needs a psychologist to make it to camp and start charging a nickel per session.  The doctor is real in.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 15, 2013, 04:21 PM »
I kinda thought that was the point of Rick's talk with Hershel... Rick was wondering if "you can come back" and Herschel tells him, 'your son came back, you came back'.  I though that was them telling us that Rick was healed/healing from the tragedy of Lori's death, but I guess I can see how people read that as Rick still worried because he is still hallucinating things (camping lady).

That is an interesting take for sure, I interpreted that as more of a spiritual/ethical type comeback than a mental one. Like "how can you reconcile the horrible things you have had to do to survive with your personal sense of morality?" That was kind of the thrust of their conversation, they had both done bad things but Rick was still willing to reach out and help a stranger whereas she couldn't make that leap and had crossed over to pure survival mode.

I hate to bring the comic into it, but my recollection is that crazy Rick was just a phase there too and he eventually stopped walking around with that telephone and got with the program again.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48 PM »
She probably was real, I was half-kidding.

But there was a weirdness to her being so close to the prison (it seemed) and Rick just deciding to go with her alone into a potential trap (it was).

Having been to the same airport, liking the same statue. (IIRC)

I could believe a walker (her) got the boar, then it moved toward him and he shot it and then spaced out, imagining her story, how she got to this point. He's killed walkers so much he forgot they were human.

I don't think we need more crazy Rick, though. I think there'll be enough things going on.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 15, 2013, 09:29 PM »
After re-watching today it struck me how "animated" the bloody-eyed fence walker was. It almost seemed as if he was actually looking at Rick and really"seeing" him.   If everyone has the virus that turns them into walkers with no brain activity other than in their brain stem - could the new virus alter how "alive" a walker is when they re-animate?
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 16, 2013, 12:22 AM »
I'm interested to see where the virus storyline goes. Harry Potter coughed right into the shower water before he passed out so I'm assuming that comes into play at some point. BTW I had a good laugh when he talked to Daryl at the beginning, as I imagine that's what people look like when they meet Norman Reedus in real life.

Crazy woman was really weird. I'm guessing this comes into play again as the season goes on but as of now I'm just left asking WTF.

LOVED the shopping center portion though. I also thought Waterboy's friend was biting it due to the "Walking Dead Rule of Black People/Minor Characters Who Have More Than Two Lines." That wasn't the same chopper as the one from the first episode was it?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: October 16, 2013, 09:16 AM »
I think the copter from the first episode was more of a Blackhawk style assault helicopter and the one on the roof was an older, army-green Huey. IIRC.

I think "intelligent zombies" is a non-starter and they really need to stay away from that. It mutes the whole aspect of the threat, and has IMHO never been done well in any of the zombies stories that predate this one. (Please no "Bub" redux...)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #938 on: October 16, 2013, 07:55 PM »
They've largely been Hueys in the show so far, for some reason (Not real sure how many Hueys are in use in the military today, at all...  Some of our military guys may know that info more than myself...  I was thinking Hueys were largely out of service now, in any US Military capacity), but I believe the one that flew over Atlanta while Rick rode into town was a Blackhawk...  Can't recall but think it was a Huey that went down that the Governor's people discovered as well, Hueys outside the CDC and Rick's hospital as well, etc.  Seemed like a lotta Huey choppers in this series.

Blackhawks and Huey's are pretty distinctly different though...  It's been a while since I saw that one over Atlanta but I too think it was a Blackhawk or something similar.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 16, 2013, 11:19 PM »
The Huey was retired in 2011 by the US military.  The last ones were retired in Germany.  That said, I want to say I've seen a recent picture of a couple of them being flown by the 160th SOAR.  I may be wrong and I don't recall a date on the picture.  Anyway, they have been retired from mainline service.  If they are still being used, it would probably be by some SOF organization.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02 AM »
Unlike the helicopters seen in Seasons 1 and 3, the one crashed on the roof was totally unrecognizable to me. Just a jumbled green CG-mess that barely looked like anything. Accuracy of equipment/weaponry shouldn't really matter though. IIRC the tank from Season 1 was a British model because they needed a hatch on the bottom, so there is precedent for going with whatever is convenient over accurate. Plus, zombie show yada yada. :D

Anyway, I thought the premier was pretty good. The "Big Spot" sequence was cool and I really liked what I saw of the new life at the prison. The subplot with Rick and Clara was strange; I enjoyed it, but at the same time it seemed forced and slightly out-of-place (like the bum in the cabin last season). I thought the disease was the best part though, and I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out... should be devastating for the prison group.

Lastly, was anyone surprised about the ratings for the premier? I was actually caught off-guard by the huge increase. I expected minimal or no growth after the disappointing Season 3 finale. Glad to see the show is still going strong and setting records though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #941 on: October 17, 2013, 01:17 AM »
Caught off guard?  Absolutely not...  I've heard nothing short of glowing praise for this show from EVERYONE really...  If anything I figured it'd be even higher.  I didn't find the finale disappointing at all either...  I liked it.  Didn't totally find it unexpected, but I liked it.

TWD is, to me, rivaled only by Game of Thrones...  Boardwalk Empire's creeping up there though.  Love it.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53 AM »
That is an interesting take for sure, I interpreted that as more of a spiritual/ethical type comeback than a mental one. Like "how can you reconcile the horrible things you have had to do to survive with your personal sense of morality?" That was kind of the thrust of their conversation, they had both done bad things but Rick was still willing to reach out and help a stranger whereas she couldn't make that leap and had crossed over to pure survival mode.

I hate to bring the comic into it, but my recollection is that crazy Rick was just a phase there too and he eventually stopped walking around with that telephone and got with the program again.

That's how I understood it as well - can you regain your humanity/soul after the horrible things you've had to do to survive?  Rick was crazy much longer in the books, but I feel like they are past that in the show already.  It's hard to compare the two because the storylines have become so different.  The virus in particular is very new.  Did anyone catch Harry Potter shaking Daryl's hand in the beginning?  I kind of knew what was coming with this, so curious to see if Daryl catches the bug.  I hope not, but based on the show to date and the comic, they have no fear of killing off even the most beloved of characters.  I can't wait to see the prison outbreak and hope they get to it quickly.  Seems dumb to me that they wouldn't have someone on watch all the time - you never know when that fence will give or someone will just plain die and turn.  What if someone has a heart attack in the middle of the night? 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 17, 2013, 12:26 PM »
What if someone has a heart attack in the middle of the night?

That's just plain reality right there... and no one wants to see that.  The death has to be gruesome.  ;)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 17, 2013, 04:30 PM »
What if someone has a heart attack in the middle of the night?

That's just plain reality right there... and no one wants to see that.  The death has to be gruesome.  ;)

That's the point though.  If some guy has a stroke and dies in his sleep, he comes back as a zombie and starts ripping into people while they sleep. You're really not safe unless you're isolated from everyone else when you're asleep.  Surprised they haven't hit on this yet.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today