Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558189 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #15 on: November 4, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Nice.  That wasn't listed when I looked it up Monday morning.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2010, 03:56 PM »
I watched it night before last via On Demand and thought it was great except for a couple of things.

First, how are you going to wake up in zombie world and not start asking about a million questions? I mean, you're not even curious a LITTLE how it all started? I get that the dude is not talkative but come on bro, get some backstory.

Second, I hate to get on a high horse, no pun intended, but did they really have to make the wife such a callow b*tch? First, you cruise out of town with your kid but don't even stop by the hospital to pick up your injured husband, and worse you start banging his best friend after what, 2 weeks? Wow, don't let any moss grow on that thing lady.

It sort of turns the whole thing into an absurd farce, like some twisted play on the Odyssey, where the husband defies all manner of obstacles to reunite with his "loyal wife" only to find she started nailing his best friend 5 minutes after he was out of the picture.  ::) Not exactly epic.

About now I am just hoping she and her dumbass lover get ripped apart and eaten, leaving the kid and hid Dad to ride off into the sunset.

More zombies, less love triangle...

Will have to work hard to top the ending of Dead Set.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2010, 06:04 PM »
Does it seem that the show is a little out of order? At the beginning, the sheriff goes to a ripped up camp site and shoots the zombie girl. Later in the show we see the same camp site with his wife and kid there. It just seemed like a random flash forward since he never got to the camp site or I don't remember them leaving the site.

What I also don't under is how does a guy in coma survive in a hospital for two weeks by himself while zombies are running rampid thru the buiding but no one ever goes in his room? Every room is trashed expect his? The hospital staff never moved him?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: November 8, 2010, 10:04 AM »
Not a bad follow-up episode last night.  The "smell like the dead thing" was pretty gross, but I loved the 2fast2furious-esque zombie distraction scheme.  Sucks to be the guy in handcuffs...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 8, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Yeah, some great stuff in last night's episode, mostly the dismemberment and gut smearing scene. Just brutal and awesome. Seemed like kind of a stretch that the rain would expose them so quick, but I guess they had to come up with something.

So what's up with the Asian kid? Will we see him again? I kept thinking they would cut back to the black guy and his son too sometime last night but I guess that arc is over.

Always good to see Maria Covarrubias getting work too. (Blond chick, old dudes like me remember her from her role on the X-Files)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: November 9, 2010, 12:01 AM »
Loved it...  Looks like the guy on the roof isn't out yet.  The door got padlocked...  but how the hell do you get to him when the building is overrun, ya know?

The ultimate weapon is a flamethrower...  They need to make one I think.  Though I still would've liked seeing what an Abrams could've done to the mass zombie crowd around it.  :P

Tanks have a nasty habit of making people fly apart.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2010, 12:01 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 9, 2010, 08:15 AM »
It sounds like most of you haven't read the comic books.  I don't think it's necessary, but it does make some things easier to understand.

First, how are you going to wake up in zombie world and not start asking about a million questions? I mean, you're not even curious a LITTLE how it all started? I get that the dude is not talkative but come on bro, get some backstory.

I'd chaulk that up to waking up confused, hungry, thirsty and generally out of it.  And FYI, we're almost 80 issues into the comic's run and we still don't know what caused the zombie apocalypse, so I don't think anyone would know anyways.

Does it seem that the show is a little out of order? At the beginning, the sheriff goes to a ripped up camp site and shoots the zombie girl. Later in the show we see the same camp site with his wife and kid there. It just seemed like a random flash forward since he never got to the camp site or I don't remember them leaving the site.

Not the same camp site.  That scene was actually never in the books, the first issue opens with the car shoot out and then Rick waking up in the hospital.  I guess they wanted an opening bang for the TV show, thus shooting of zombie girl (which takes place between the police station raid and Rick finding the horse).

What I also don't under is how does a guy in coma survive in a hospital for two weeks by himself while zombies are running rampid thru the buiding but no one ever goes in his room? Every room is trashed expect his? The hospital staff never moved him?

It wasn't exactly clear, but the dead were all managed to be corraled in the room that Rick saw chained up and the dead woman in the hallway was most likely his caretaker that met her demise while caring for Rick.  There was a gurney in front of Rick's room to try to deter zombies from entering.  With those and the military outside, probably making a **** ton of noise, I can see how one lone person, who wasn't awake or moving, can be missed by the zombies.

So what's up with the Asian kid? Will we see him again?

Glenn's a pretty major character in the book, as is Andrea (the blond chick in the department store).  The others in the store are new for the TV show and don't appear in the books.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: November 9, 2010, 10:27 AM »
The others in the store are new for the TV show and don't appear in the books.

And therefore are likely to be zombie-chow as the show needs characters to kill off...  :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 9, 2010, 10:41 AM »
I've never heard of the comic books until hearing about this show. I like the show. I just hope it doesn't stay dark and depressing (like BSG)  the entire time. The audience needs a break from that sometimes.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 9, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Call me a pessimist but I'm having a hard time seeing the lighter side of the zombie apocalypse.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: November 9, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Haha.  :D

You haven't hung out with them Johnstown rednecks!  THey're having a field day with this! (paraphrasing NotLD)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 9, 2010, 05:47 PM »
It would be really easy to give it the MST3K treatment.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 9, 2010, 08:05 PM »
I just ordered my Comcast TV service back and it is being installed Thursday.  I am hoping this series is in the "On Demand" section.  anyone know?  I haven't watched an episode yet so I am looking forward to it. 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: November 9, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Someone said that it is, on a forum I visit.  Love my Comcast, honestly, and On-Demand.  It's fantastic.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 9, 2010, 09:33 PM »
I've no clue what this show is about (other then zombies) May try and DVR this and see what all the hub-bub is about...Hopefully it's not like 24 where you're almost completely lost without viewing every show...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN