Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558181 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #510 on: October 15, 2012, 05:06 PM »
I was wondering why in the hell Hershel was with the group as well - it made no sense.  It should have been Rick, Daryl, T-Dog and Glenn - and they should have tried to lure the zombies out instead... but hey, it's a TV show and even in real life, people do stupid things. 

As for Hershel's leg, I'm assuming he'll live... in the books, one guy who does get bit in the jail does die... but also, Dale (who died in Season 2) was bit later, and they cut off his leg, and he lives - so who knows.  I'm assuming Hershel hangs on for a while and gets a peg leg... but man that scene was brutal to say the least. I can't recall seeing anything like it on TV in my entire life.. and that chopping scene rivals, if not beats, anything I've seen in a movie.  Holy ****.

Overall, this episode was fantastic and one of the absolute best - and I like how it's been several months since Season 2 ended, with Lori about to pop, Carl growing up some, etc.  Can't wait for next week.  I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 16, 2012, 09:21 AM »
If you think about it, if they are all already infected, why does it matter if you get bitten or not? As long as it's not a fatal wound, seems like you could just patch it up and you'd be good to go. Why does Rick have to cut the leg off? It's not like he's stopping the infection from spreading or anything.

I recall that guy from the first season was in a similar situation and quickly developed a fever, delerium, etc and went downhill fast from there. So maybe it does something to hasten the effect?

The whole morphology of the virus is a little confusing...wish they would spend more time on that aspect.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #512 on: October 16, 2012, 09:37 AM »
I was thinking about this and figured there must be some toxin or bacteria in the saliva that causes infection then death.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 16, 2012, 11:18 AM »
I think it is midichlorians.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 16, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 16, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Kinda like a komodo dragon's saliva. Gotta figure a decaying corpse will have all sorts of septic bacteria in its mouth. Could be that the non-fatal bite that eventually kills has nothing to do with the zombie pathogen.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 16, 2012, 10:00 PM »
I think they all are carriers, but the virus itself doesn't drive a change until you die.  Maybe it's a weak strain or antibodies fight it off.  But when someone with a full blown infection gets their fully activated virus into your bloodstream, it overwhelms your defenses and drives the change faster.  Like the CDC guy mentioned, the amount of time that passes before an infected person changes can vary widely.  That would seem to fit with stronger versus weaker immune systems or the amount of active virus that gets into an infected person's bloodstream.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45 AM »
I think they all are carriers, but the virus itself doesn't drive a change until you die.  Maybe it's a weak strain or antibodies fight it off.  But when someone with a full blown infection gets their fully activated virus into your bloodstream, it overwhelms your defenses and drives the change faster.  Like the CDC guy mentioned, the amount of time that passes before an infected person changes can vary widely.  That would seem to fit with stronger versus weaker immune systems or the amount of active virus that gets into an infected person's bloodstream.

that's a really good theory, I've wondered that myself since kirkman has said he's not really going to address the cause of the zombie outbreak in the comics and they've taken that to the series as well.  while it would most def be good to get some kind of explanation, I don't see it happening. Either way, I'm along for the ride as long as it stays entertaining.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 17, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Thanks!   :D  Much as I want to know the cause, I hope they don't ever go there.  It seems pretty unlikely that a small band of survivors would be able to learn any more than what CDC guy was able to figure out with all of his research.  If they did somehow figure it out, I think it would seem somewhat forced and unbelievable at this point.  If they were going to cover it, they needed to do it right away. 

I do think they could come across some scientists or doctors who have a better understanding of how the infection/virus works.  Maybe one of the Governor's people? 

I'm still watching Season 2 on the farm and loving it.  I heard a lot of complaints that it was too slow, but watching on DVD the story seems to be progressing pretty well.  I like that some form of zombies show up at least once an episode.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 17, 2012, 03:22 PM »
Yeah, Season 2 was fine.  I don't think it was too slow at all.  It introduced a lot of character development, and really seemed well done to me.  The pace with some slowdowns is what makes this series a little more realistic (as silly as that sounds).  Because this isn't supposed to be a Left 4 Dead video game, it's about how survivors react to the situations, turn on each other, do whatever it takes to protect their family, etc. 

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 17, 2012, 07:25 PM »
A bite is fatal and death causes zombication. I guess cutting the leg off stops the infection from getting to the brain.

It is really amazing how strong a bite from a dead person is, I mean it can go through a trouser leg or anything. It seems the ligaments to the jawbone would be so decayed it would fall off. Creative license perhaps? Like when one ripped Dale's stomach open. Would decayed hands be that strong. Oh, well it is great entertainment.

Herschel is seventy. It seems they would keep him back for shooting and not melee fighting. We have a death coming up according to the grave in the preview. I say it will not be Herschel, but I go into the Death Pool that it will be the little blonde parakeet next.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #521 on: October 17, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Dale's stomach thing was brought up and the producers said they can rip you apart due to their fingers being worn down to sort of claws...  if that helps explain it.  *shrug*

I agree with CHEWIE, etc., that Season 2 was fine IMO...  To me this isn't the Dawn of the Dead remake...  this isn't about Zombie massacres IMO.  It's about story and plot.  I was fine with Season 2.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 18, 2012, 01:46 PM »
From FB:

3. season premiere: 10.9 million total viewer
2. season finale: 9 million total viewer
2. mid-season premiere: 8.1 million total viewer
2. season premiere: 7.3 million total viewer
2. mid-season finale: 6.6 million total viewer
1. season finale: 6 million total viewer
1. season premiere: 5.4 million total viewer
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #523 on: October 18, 2012, 06:34 PM »
The season 3 premiere did even better than that...  It had like 16 million if you counted those that watched the 2nd airing immediately after the first.  It's insane numbers for cable, or so I'm told.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #524 on: October 18, 2012, 07:06 PM »
Highest rated show ages 18-49 on any network

The Walking Dead’s Season 3 opener now ranks as the most-watched drama telecast in basic cable history.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj