Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557976 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #720 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25 AM »
I think a woman must be writing the Maggie/Glenn storyline because every guy I have talked to does not get WTF her problem is either. Why is she SO mad at him?

The only thing I can think of is that she seems to think he is more worried about whether she was actually raped than whether she is ok or not. Like he is hung up on the details or something and missing the bigger picture. They're both acting stupid though, which I guess you have to chalk up to PTSD. At least Mags is starting down the healing path with the baby-feeding and all.

And WTF was Glenn during the big shoot-out anyway? Agreed he should have heard the shots and shown up a lot faster.

I don't understand how Mr Sunglasses ended up in the Guard Tower anyway. Wouldn't you have to be inside the fence to get up there? I'm glad they finally killed him at least, I kept thinking "they are wasting a TON of ammo and not hitting ANYONE".

I figured we would get more out of the Walking Dixons subplot, but whateves. I liked the cutaway shot as they were walking off the bridge - Darryl was right, it WAS Yellow Jacket Creek. Ain't nothing wrong with HIS sense of direction! I agree it seemed weird to see other survivors at this point.

I'm getting to the point where any of the scenes in Woodbury now just bore me. I just don't care about Andrea, the effeminate guy, Martinez, whoever. I figure most all of these people are going to be dead pretty soon anyway, so what's the point? Those scenes just seem to drag down the pace of the show somehow.

Just when I thought I was going to start liking Axel, BOOM! bullet to the head. Another comic-swerve, well done too, that was a shocker. That whole last sequence was crazy-awesome.

And speaking of crazy, I guess one or two episodes was not enough to drive home Rick-is-the-mayor-of-Crazytown now, so I'm guessing this will plod on the rest of the season. Ugh, I feel for the guy but get it together man! At least he 'fessed up to Hershel, first step is admitting you have a problem, bro...

Hoping we have not seen the last of Tyreese, that would be one cruel fan-tease.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 18, 2013, 01:29 PM »
I think I get the Glenn/Maggie thing.  Maggie was seriously abused by the Governor.  Even though he didn't go all the way, I think the way he demeaned her was just as bad.  He took away her sense of dignity and control, and she was put in that position because of Glenn.  No, Glenn didn't do anything to cause that, but he was the reason she caved and he is around to catch the blame.   Glenn also seems concerned about how far the abuse went, as though Maggie should be less traumatized that it didn't go all the way.  So we end up with Maggie feeling powerless and Glenn busy/stressed trying to organize a defense.  I'm sure she wants some sympathy and understanding while he wants her to get up and help out.  People have gotten pissy with their significant others for far less.  Maggie has some suicidal tendancies in the book - I wonder if they're taking this route to set that up?

I don't really get the guard tower bit either, but I suppose that's where they were going when Glenn asked who was on watch.  I'm guessing that's when someone slipped into the guard tower.  What happened to the driver of the Zombiemobile?  Did he get shot and I just missed it?  I didn't see anyone run back through the gate.

I also don't get why Rick/Daryl/Merle have that stranded look on the outside.  The fence was breached and there are now what 10-15 zombies between the interior and exterior fences?  Heck, they took out more than than saving Rick!  I don't get why they didn't immediately run back around to the interior fence and kill off everything that got through, then try to plug up the holes in the fence?  The longer they wait, the worse that's going to get. 

I really hope we find out where the hell Glenn went.  Can't believe he drove off like that and wasn't back sooner.  And why didn't the Governor's men take him on the way out or on the way back in?  I love that no one can hit each other in a gun fight, but people are bullseying Zombie foreheads from 100 yards.  Oh well.  I wouldn't be very happy if half the cast were killed off either I suppose.

Best part of the show was Merle and Daryl in the forrest.  I loved the arguing between the two and Daryl standing up to his brother to rescue the bridgepeople.  The scenes where we see it really is the Yellowjacket and Daryl calls Merle out for leaving him were really powerful.  My only regret is having watched the show right away.  Now I have 7 days of waiting...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 18, 2013, 01:44 PM »
I think a woman must be writing the Maggie/Glenn storyline because every guy I have talked to does not get WTF her problem is either. Why is she SO mad at him?

I think you just closer to answering your own question.   >:(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 18, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Crazy Rick dropped the ball. Chasing the White Rabbit, he left his birdseye perch and his binoculars. He would have saw the Governor and could have even stopped that ice cream truck with his .223 with some shots in the windshield.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 19, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Here is possible plotline I could see. That the Governor kidnaps or attempts to kidnap Judith.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #725 on: February 19, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Great episode...  Axel, man I just knew his time was finite with the group and that is a bummer because I thought perhaps they were ssetting him up to fit in, be the new "Dale" that can fix stuff...  Underappreciated necessity in a world like that.

I'm apparantly nowhere near as cheesed off about Glenn as you guys are...  Prisons can be HUGE complexes...  I gathered he was on the other side scouting.  In the truck it maybe took him some time to hear the shots even, but if he's on the other side of it, who knows how long it would take to get back to the front?  It doesn't seem to me that there's any road/path following the perimeter fence.  That doesn't bother me as much as it bothers me that he just wandered off and started acting like a bit of a prick.

Kind of agree on the whole Maggie/Glenn arc...  it's been frustrating to watch some of it.  It doesn't bother me really, it's just not interesting to me at this moment.

I agree on the shoot-out realism...  People go from zombie headshots to not able to hit much with military-grade weaponry.  It's arguable that zombies don't move fast, duck much, or whatever.  I can buy that ultimately, but the guy on the tower should've gone down fast, as should the mexican guy from Woodbury...  Neither ducked, they stood and fired.  Hell, the Governor's a perfectly black silhouette at a distance, who never moved, so Rick should've been able to easily put him down with his rifle as well.

The Speedy Delivery driver hauled ass...  Almost a ninja-esque person dressed in like armor/motocross looking gear.  Looked very small/petite to me too.  Part of me thinks whoever Speedy Delivery is, they're a more important character.  Just my opinion, but I don't think it's the last of that person we'll see.  They hauled ass out and away from the truck though and I believe to The Governor.

I didn't see The Governor change magazines once...   :-\

Hopefully Rick has his **** together...  I'm tired of his BS right now.  Axel's dead because of it.  He doesn't care, fine, but get your **** together because you have kids to think about.  Stop being a ninny.

Be interesting to see several things now going forward...

First, Andrea's interaction with the group.  She's clearly getting annoyed with Woodbury, but she's dumb enough I suppose she may stay anyway.

Second, Glenn's new role as badass.

Third, Where the other group wound up going...  On talking Dead they said the other group is NOT in the prison.  They left after Rick's freak-out and now they're who knows where.

Fourth, Darryl/Merl's melding back in.  Merl obviously is the better story as I think Darryl's back...  It's nice though to see, at times, that Merl isn't 100% bad.  That's something I LOVE about the show.  Everyone just wants to hate Merl, but he's shown flashes of humanity...  Sympathy at Andrea's sister dying, and then his brothers scars...  They humanize Merl making it hard to totally hate him.  He CAN be an asset, but he's obviously also a liability.  Like Shane you want him around for what he can accomplish but you hate to have to deal with his BS.

Wish they'd taken the Mexicans with them to the prison...  Beef up the ranks some. :P  Those people's asses are grass I'm afraid.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: February 19, 2013, 02:09 PM »

I agree on the shoot-out realism...  People go from zombie headshots to not able to hit much with military-grade weaponry.  It's arguable that zombies don't move fast, duck much, or whatever.  I can buy that ultimately, but the guy on the tower should've gone down fast, as should the mexican guy from Woodbury...  Neither ducked, they stood and fired.  Hell, the Governor's a perfectly black silhouette at a distance, who never moved, so Rick should've been able to easily put him down with his rifle as well.

Walkers don't shoot back.  Shooting the same shuffling thing that you've been targeting for better part of the year is a routine experience.  Targeting a living thing that has (a) caught you by surprise and (b) is actively returning fire is likely to play with your nerves a little. 

I have no issue with this.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: February 19, 2013, 03:28 PM »
The Axel death was a shocker.  He does sneak off and kill some of the women in the comics, so I'm sure the writers switched that one around to surprise the fans of the book.  He would have been too predictible as a killer from within and the group's spread pretty thin as it is until Tyreese gets back.  Speaking of which, were they too far away to hear all of the gunfire?  I wonder where they snuck off to...

Actually, that's not Axel who murders the women.  It's Thomas - Link.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #728 on: February 19, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Walkers don't shoot back, but come on...  The Governor's fairly inept guys can stand around popping rounds off like they're rednecks out back shooting a car, but Rick and his crew ALL are kept down?

I'm sorry, it's unrealistic...  The second any of them had to reload, which was also unrealistically portrayed, you have an opportunity to fire back...  Each guy seemed to have a "zone" to cover, that seemed sort of obvious.

It's unrealistic, I'm sorry...  I'm not saying I care really, I'm just saying it's not something that can really be bs'd to believability either.  :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: February 19, 2013, 03:56 PM »
The Axel death was a shocker.  He does sneak off and kill some of the women in the comics, so I'm sure the writers switched that one around to surprise the fans of the book.  He would have been too predictible as a killer from within and the group's spread pretty thin as it is until Tyreese gets back.  Speaking of which, were they too far away to hear all of the gunfire?  I wonder where they snuck off to...

Actually, that's not Axel who murders the women.  It's Thomas - Link.

Good correction there.  I was just thinking Axel would fill that role since there is no Thomas in the show...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #730 on: February 19, 2013, 06:49 PM »
He revealed on Talking Dead that he actually was to be cast as a serial killer loose who does kidnap some of the group and stuff...  then he became Axel.

Who's gonna fix anything?  I guess Glenn can try but he's already got a plate overflowing I think.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 19, 2013, 09:03 PM »
Who's gonna fix anything?  I guess Glenn can try but he's already got a plate overflowing I think.

Yeah, Andrea needs to recruit Milton over to Rick's group. The rest of Woodbury seems pretty expendable at this point.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #732 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Hah, I don't think Milton will do well under a hood.  ;D

He was a little slimey this week...  lost some respect for him.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18 PM »
RE: People being able to headshot zombies

It's the Stormtrooper effect. You have terrible aim when shooting at important or living characters, but random, nameless soldiers (or zombies) are expendable and can be taken out with ease. :P

Oh and cool callback to season 1:

http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46 PM »
RE: People being able to headshot zombies

It's the Stormtrooper effect. You have terrible aim when shooting at important or living characters, but random, nameless soldiers (or zombies) are expendable and can be taken out with ease. :P

You are absolutely right, and I'm glad the stormtrooper effect was in play. Had everyone been a crack shot most of the 10 or so combatants would have been killed in the firefight and that would have been a very disappointing end to the series.