Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557895 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #1035 on: November 12, 2013, 03:40 PM »
I think that the bad part of TWD this week was Breckin Meyer.  Dude must have connected parents because he's gotten SO many chances to bomb.  He really sucks.  Not near the Manson line, but down there.  Chris Jericho was really good.  The show is at its best when someone from production or cast is a guest.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1036 on: November 12, 2013, 03:42 PM »
Most of the people that would offer the best insight into the show are all behind-the-scenes, but the average WD viewer isn't gonna watch a bunch of no-names talk to each other on a couch for sixty minutes. So instead we get episode commentary and analysis from these third-rate "celebrities." It doesn't exactly make for good TV, either way.

One of the editors of Breaking Bad, Kelley Dixon, started doing an insider podcast early into that show's run, and they were really interesting and entertaining to listen to. She's edited on Walking Dead too. It'd be cool if she (or someone) could put together a similar podcast for Walking Dead. I'm kind of surprised there's not one already.

Re: Hardwick

I just do not find the dude funny in the slightest. I watched his stand-up special and I don't think I laughed once during the whole thing. A lot of people must like what he's doing, though. He's been on TV in some form or another for, what, like almost twenty years now?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:42 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1037 on: November 12, 2013, 05:35 PM »
Between the dating show and The Nerdist I honestly don't recall anything he did, but I enjoyed his stand-up special more than I thought I would, and his new show Midnight I find funny actually.  TD, he's sometimes all that's holding it together.  Look at the way he clearly had more than enough of Manson.  Tell me with a straight face you thought he handled that poorly.  :)

Last week's show, again, was very good...  This week, not so much.  And Manson week, it was unwatchable.

Never watched The Nerdist but heard good things.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: November 12, 2013, 06:15 PM »
Like many of you - I didn't like hardwick at first and that was when it was 30 min - i think they were trying to cram too much into a short show and he was way too hyper. But when it went to 60 min, I've felt he's evened out his over-enthusiastic geekdom and is a little more tolerable. I also agree the producers like gayle-ann or nicotero plus cast are better - I guess they will be on more during the second have of the season since filming will be over.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1039 on: November 12, 2013, 06:33 PM »
I thought filming was over already?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #1040 on: November 12, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Between the dating show and The Nerdist I honestly don't recall anything he did, but I enjoyed his stand-up special more than I thought I would, and his new show Midnight I find funny actually.  TD, he's sometimes all that's holding it together.  Look at the way he clearly had more than enough of Manson.  Tell me with a straight face you thought he handled that poorly.  :)

I thought we were talking about how funny he is, not how competent of a host he is. But yes, to his credit, he was in a tough position there and handled it satisfactorily. (That's the best you're gonna get out of me. Sorry.)

I did enjoy a bluegrass Radiohead medley he did as part of Hard 'N Phirm a few years ago, and I have enjoyed the handful of Nerdist podcasts I've listened to, but that has less to do with him as host, and more to do with the fact that I already liked his guest going into it. He gets some really good guests to do those things.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1041 on: November 12, 2013, 08:53 PM »
I'd say both are relevant...  I find him funny (enough on TD) and a good host for what he's given (it's a tough show).  He's more in his element on his Midnight show...  No clue on The Nerdist though I've seen guests that almost compelled me to watch it, like you said...  Very good guests.

I like the memoriams, and things on TD...  I'd like to see some changes to the show too though, and maybe 45 minutes would be a nice way to start.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I think next week will be an hour long episode about what the Governor and his cronies have been up to since they left.  S those waiting for the Rick/Darryl confrontation will most likely have to wait two weeks.

Sorry to disrupt the talking dead bashing... But I completely agree with Matt. I think next week is (unfortunately) going to be entirely about the Governor. We probably won't see a lot of the prison except maybe or the mini cliff hanger at the end.   

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1043 on: November 13, 2013, 01:57 PM »
I also don't see how the Governor could be the one luring the zombies to the prison unless he has someone on the inside (whoever was feeding them rats is inside the prison).  Also, if he were staying close to the prison, Michonne would have found him.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1044 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25 PM »
Eh, it's a chainlink fence...  I don't think, at night when nobody's paying attention (or so it seems) that the governor would have much trouble getting in and doing whatever he wanted.

The theory floating about was Bob was a plant from Woodbury, but Woodbury sent all their able-bodied people to the prison...  Unless Bob was someone new he picked up along the way, or something along those lines.

It'd have to be someone also with the time to catch all these animals.  It wasn't all rats, as I recall.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42 PM »
With all cuts made in the fence by the survivors themselves, you wonder why it would necessary to go through the trouble of feeding the rats.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 14, 2013, 12:28 AM »
I think the big reveal will be that the Governor has a zombie eye under that eye patch.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 12:28 AM by Scockery »

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 14, 2013, 04:43 AM »
The theory floating about was Bob was a plant from Woodbury, but Woodbury sent all their able-bodied people to the prison...  Unless Bob was someone new he picked up along the way, or something along those lines.

Didn't Daryl at one point say something like "When we found you you were alone, now you need to learn to work as a team" or something like that?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1048 on: November 14, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Yes, that was during the bonding moment that Bob ruined with the booze grabbing...  That's when he said about being in 2 groups and being the last man standing, blah blah blah...

I can't see him having anything to do with the Governor unless the Governor had found him, they bonded, and he got him to get in with Rick's group.  Just doesn't seem to fit really either way.  I think he's fishy and weird, and has something off about him, but I don't think he's with the Governor...

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 14, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I'm finallllllly caught up on WD again after falling behind the last few weeks.  Good episodes.  This last one with the Flu/Fence epidemics at the same time was fun, bhtough I thought the flu thing was handled kinda shoddy.  There was no better way to lock the sick people down in case they turned?  Didn't it seem like initially people turned fast, then with this last wave of the flu it took them days and days?  I know Hershel's tea was supposed to help a bit, but come one.  Then people get the antibiotics and they're all good the next day.  I'm just getting over the flu (non Zombie kind) and have pneumonia as a fall out, so if everyone is happy and dancing in the next episode I'm going to be very disappointed that whatever wonder drug they randomly found in the animal school isn't somehow available at my local Walgreen's. 

I'm still not clear on who was feeding the rats.  They seemed to come from inside the fence.  Is the Governor really sneaking inside the fence to drop off a few dead mice each week?  You'd think he could wreck more havok taking out the water supply or letting all the farm animals loose.  I think someone inside, maybe one of the kids, was feeding zombies thinking that they're still people in some way.  Didn't the infected girl that Carol was watching say something to that effect last episode?  "Yeah, they're zombies, but they're still sort of people."  Heck, if the Governor was going to go that far, why not just open up the front gate?  I think he's laid some kind of trap or bigger sabotage that we've not seen yet. 

I read a few posts about how people think the zombies go into a state of hibernation or just wear away.  I've read all the books and don't recall anything about that, so if anyone has a source I'd love to read it again.  I think in the WWZ novel they talked about zombies getting cold and freezing up with the winter, but I don't recall any WD lore about that.  I think they get more docile when there;s no stimulus present, like obvious prey or noises drawing them somewhere because they don't really know where to go, but I don't think we've seen any evidence yet of them just wearing out.  I don't think Kirkman wants "let's just wait around 5 years and they'll die off" to be a realistic solution in the book or the show. 

Can't wait for next week.  Like everyone else - I've stopped watching TD.  Can't dedicate an hour to a show talking about another hour long show.  That's ridiculous.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today