Author Topic: Vintage Collection Rumors  (Read 252447 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Collection Rumors
« Reply #510 on: October 12, 2018, 10:45 AM »
God that would be boring...

Give me Sim Aloo or give me death.

Sim Aloo would be a good exclusive choice.  And that's simply because I could see the potential for that figure to be a major pegwarmer in the mainline.

If they're gonna do him, I'd rather they just do a three pack of the remaining dignitaries, or even a 5 pack with 3 new ones and 2 re-releases.  I wouldn't even care if they were 5 POA if it got them made.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 12, 2018, 12:40 PM »
I’m with Rob.  Love that idea.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 12, 2018, 12:51 PM »
I'm looking at what rebooted Vintage Collection has been and keeping my hopes realistic to that
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2018, 12:01 PM »
I wouldn't mind seeing them mine more of the Legacy Collection & Black Series releases that are characters related to the Sail Barge scene of ROTJ and just re-releasing them on Vintage card backs. I know that's boring, but at least it helps to bolster the offering of the Barge with even more figures to populate it...

Some great candidates are:
  • Vizam
  • Ree-Yees
  • Skiff Guard (Brock Starsher)
  • Giran
  • Nikto Gunner
  • Princess Leia - Legacy Collection BD17

The Princess Leia is a great choice as an exclusive. It means that the "Slave"/Dancing Girl outfit version of Leia can finally be offered on a Vintage Card and Hasbro doesn't have to worry about the backlash of parents seeing such a figure on the pegs at WalMart or Target. And if they could work it so that she also came with the alternate set of legs for the reclining position, that would be a bonus as I don't think that piece was ever re-released even though the base figure was.

The sculpts of Vizam, Ree-Yees and Brock Starsher are all Vintage quality and I just checked my Giran and Nikto Gunner figures which were Legacy Collection releases and they too are Vintage level articulation and sculpt IMHO as well.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 13, 2018, 12:35 PM »
I think Pete's list is what we can realistically hope for
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 13, 2018, 02:00 PM »
I agree that Sim Aloo is perfect for the exclusive series. Warok too, which is the only figure from the original 93 that hasn't been released on a single card.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 02:02 PM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: October 13, 2018, 02:01 PM »
Slave Leia was already released on vintage card (VC64).

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 14, 2018, 12:48 AM »
Slave Leia was already released on vintage card (VC64).

You're right, my bad, I should have cross-referenced figures a bit better, I knew she had been re-released w/o the sitting/reclining legs, I just couldn't remember where, I guess it was twice, once for VC64 and again for VC88 - that just means they could insert her in, just like they're doing with the Gamorrean Guard, although, I wouldn't mind seeing them try to fit in the sitting legs for a Vintage carded release.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 14, 2018, 07:08 PM »
There are a couple of TVC exclusive figures that I'm curious about if we're looking at the number sequence (VC 136 & 137) since they ahead of the Han Solo and 41st Elite Corps Clone that were announced.

I finally got a chance to rewatch the NYCC panel today and I noticed this time that Steve Evans says that the eight TVC figures left to be revealed are all from the Original Trilogy (around the 34min mark of this video).

ANH Han, ANH Chewie, and Bespin Luke have been rumored for a long time.  Vader, Hoth Leia, and Fett were rumored earlier this spring too but those could just be the TVC re-releases they announced at NYCC.

Thoughts or guesses on who/what we're getting?  Below are the eight that are left to be revealed for Spring/Summer 2019.

Basic Figures:
2019 VC141 To Be Announced [2019 Wave 02]
2019 VC149 To Be Announced [2019 Wave 03]

Exclusives:
2019 VC136 To Be Announced [?? Exclusive]
2019 VC137 To Be Announced [?? Exclusive]
2019 VC144 To Be Announced [?? Exclusive]
2019 VCxxx To Be Announced [SDCC Exclusive]

There's a lot to read into all of this.  And frankly it comes across as kind of disappointing if they're really going all OT for the foreseeable future.  Especially when you have new films like the sequels, Rogue One and Solo that are fertile territory for some new figures and characters.

The only retread/reissues that I'd really like to see?  Reissue the 3.75" Black Series Han Solo in carbonite with the new facial printing technique and put it on a POTF or ROTJ card.  Because the original release came out with TERRIBLE paint apps.  And try to finally get a Bespin Luke Skywalker right, or at least the paint apps.  They've missed the mark on that figure's deco so many times that it's sad.

The one point of contention I have is regarding the Convention exclusives.  At what point did Hasbro identify them all as SDCC exclusives?  Because I could see one or more being exclusive to Celebration Chicago.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 14, 2018, 09:29 PM »
I think the unrevealed eight will be weighted toward ROTJ, but i still will like to see a new Wuher.

Has Squid Face or Bib Fortuna been in TVC? All-new sculpts would be nice. And it'll be two figs on original vintage cards that TVC cardback collectors can strike off their list.

Wasn't there a blurb that Slave Leia would never be made again? Or was that just speculation? I suppose they can call it "Heroine Leia". Heaven help the graphic designer who misspells it 'Heroin Leia".

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 15, 2018, 06:28 AM »
As long as we're sticking with the OT, other possibilities for straight re-release of the VOTC/VTSC figures include:
  • Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi (EP4)
  • Han Solo (EP4)
  • Princess Leia (EP4)
  • Luke Skywalker (Tatooine Farm Boy) (EP4)
  • Chewbacca (EP4)
  • R2-D2 (EP4/5)
  • Sand People/Tusken Raider (EP4)
  • Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot) (EP4)
  • Greedo (EP4)
  • Bossk (Bounty Hunter) (EP5)
  • IG-88 (Bounty Hunter) (EP5)
  • Yoda (EP5)
  • Lando Calrissian (EP5)
  • Stormtrooper (Hoth Battle Gear) (EP5)
  • Princess Leia (Combat Poncho) (EP6)
  • Biker Scout (EP6)

Every one of those re-releases could be purely for the sake of taking the VOTC/VTSC figure and putting it on a "VC" card with an assigned number. I personally, include the VOTC and VTSC figures as part of the overall "Vintage" collection, but since they don't have numbers, they're not "technically" part of the modern/current Vintage Collection.

Some of those don't even need to be re-releases of the VOTC/VTSC figure since there have been some great updated versions of the character since, so that could mean that an entirely different figure is swapped in on the release - such as Yoda which could be a re-release of the Black Series (Orange) #22 figure. They could individually card all four of the figures from the Legacy Collection "Resurgence of the Jedi" battle pack on ANH cardbacks and I don't think ANYONE would mind.

And further mining the Legacy Collection as re-release potential, but also meaning that it would put character originally released in the Kenner line on a VC cardback:
  • Jawa (BD33 (2009) / BD04 (2010))
  • Ugnaught (BD43 (2009) or BD28 (2010) or a kit-bash combo that looks more like the Kenner figure)
  • Luke Skywalker [Stormtrooper Disguise] (BD30)
  • Malakili (BD22)
  • Paploo (BD18)
  • AT-AT Driver (BD49)
  • Zuckass (BD54)
  • Bespin Security Guard (take the body of BD50 with a new head and finally make a modern version of the mustached vintage figure)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:29 AM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 15, 2018, 11:07 AM »
Has Squid Face or Bib Fortuna been in TVC?

Yeah, back in 1983  :P

(No for either and Squidy only appeared in Power of the Jedi line)

Wasn't there a blurb that Slave Leia would never be made again? Or was that just speculation? I suppose they can call it "Heroine Leia". Heaven help the graphic designer who misspells it 'Heroin Leia".

It was hype and never confirmed IIRC. Also, Hasbro never called her slave anything, but "Jabba's Prisoner".  The Slave Leia  term was mostly a fan phrase from what I gather. And almost no one uses "heroine" anymore. I mean DC SUPER HERO GIRLS is a clunky name, but at least there's nothing drug sounding.  ::)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #522 on: October 15, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Basic Figures:
2019 VC141 To Be Announced [2019 Wave 02]
2019 VC149 To Be Announced [2019 Wave 03]

Exclusives:
2019 VC136 To Be Announced [?? Exclusive]
2019 VC137 To Be Announced [?? Exclusive]
2019 VC144 To Be Announced [?? Exclusive]

I think Hasbro's basic strategy right now on the OT is to fill gaps left by the original TVC run and also the original 92. I don't think they're going to stray too far out of this since there is huge overlap in some figures with films like Rogue One (Stormtrooper, Darth Vader, DS Gunner, etc.) but I could be wrong. With the Sail Barge and Episode IX next year, I also figure there will be emphasis on ROTJ, though we've seen a fair bit of that already in the announced figures.

I expect some of these could be:

ANH Chewbacca
ANH Jawa
ROTJ Emperor
ANH Luke Stormtrooper
ROTJ Ree Yees
ANH/RO Grand Moff Tarkin

I think Sim Aloo has a pretty strong chance of showing up next year or 2020.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 15, 2018, 12:18 PM »

It was hype and never confirmed IIRC. Also, Hasbro never called her slave anything, but "Jabba's Prisoner".  The Slave Leia  term was mostly a fan phrase from what I gather. And almost no one uses "heroine" anymore. I mean DC SUPER HERO GIRLS is a clunky name, but at least there's nothing drug sounding.  ::)

The 6" Black Series version is labeled as Princess Leia (Slave Outfit) on the packaging.  But it does seem like sentiment about Leia in this outfit has shifted.  I even remember seeing a TV news piece about how one parent was so offended to see the 6" TBS Slave Leia in a toy section at either Target or WalMart, and it had been in the stores for close to 2 years.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Two cents I think the Slave Leia being verboten thing is urban legend, but that being said, she is definitely absent from any recent merchandising, a lot of which has seen an increased profile for Leia.