Author Topic: What is your Focus?  (Read 3629 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
What is your Focus?
« on: December 4, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Aftre seeing the new vintage figures today (RFT, Bom and all) I was reminded about one of the most problematic elements of a Star Wars toy line.  SW has gotten so big, and has had some many different sub-catagories, that it seems that fandom has split apart to the point where no one seems interested in everything.  I was shocked to hear people saying that the new vintage weren't characters they were inteseted in, or jumping up and down for the EU girl, or saying they "only buy Jedi" or "only buy aliens."  I guess I didn't realize how many people has such a narrow focus on what they collect.

So here's my question.  What is your main SW focus?  Personally, I try to like it all.  (Some EU stuff doesn't look SWish to me.)  So, if you had to choose only one catagory what would it be.

Aliens
Jedi
Imperials
Main characters
OT
PT
EU
TCW
Clones
or, any specific film, book, or game.

Now, I buy one of each carded fig.  Even EU as long as I don't have to search hard for it.  But if I had to choose, I would say OT.  Anything from the OT, aliens, main characters, rebels, imperials, obscure oddities...and I mean anything.  If I was forced to be more specific, I would only buy things from ANH.  What about you?

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: What is your Focus?
« Reply #1 on: December 4, 2010, 01:26 PM »
Good topic!

For me, the six movies are my primary focus, which includes all figures therein. I don't buy the Clone Wars figures, except for the realistic styled ones (and even those I'm choosy on).

I like the occasional EU characters, especially if they can fit in background scenes (Jabba's palace, Cantina, Outlander club). I am particularly critical about the EU characters though. Some EU does a great job at capturing the Star Wars look and feel, which others are terrible and gimmicky (like those ******* Yuzhan Vong, which I'm sure you're all aware that I hate).
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 4, 2010, 02:38 PM »
My focus is OT, ANH ESB ROTJ;  from EU I pick soldiers like the tfu troopers, Mara Jade, Thrawn (Characters from the rebellion era)

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 4, 2010, 05:59 PM »
The films, CW occasionally, EU is usually depending on the figure.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 4, 2010, 06:05 PM »
The OT Battles between Imperials and Rebels. If it is the faceless foot soldier (or pilot) of either side I am in. (Even if the imps are clones and the Rebels all have Goatees)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: December 4, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I pretty much buy everything figure wise but get more excited about OT over PT.  I get really excited about perfect updates of vintage figures (see the recent Ackbar, Wicket, Gamorrean etc)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 4, 2010, 11:07 PM »
The OT Battles between Imperials and Rebels. If it is the faceless foot soldier (or pilot) of either side I am in. (Even if the imps are clones and the Rebels all have Goatees)

This would sum me up completely.

If I could go broader, than "OT". 

But for me, the military aspect of Star Wars has been probably my biggest love of the films.  The "lived in look" of Star Wars just played to the military side of it, and the first two films have very cohesive and structured militaries on both sides.  ROTJ it breaks apart some, but it's still pretty solid if you're able to just sort of let some minor stuff slide (like, say, every Imperial having the same rank all of a sudden), or BS it a little to "make it fit" into something more plausible.

But yeah, OT would be my focus, if it wasn't just OT military.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #7 on: December 5, 2010, 12:18 AM »
I have an Obi-Wan character focus because Obi-Wan is my callsign, so for props, and some other things, I focus on that character.  As far as the 3.75" figures go I focus on:

-Jedi
-Sith
-Pilots (check out my hangar "diorama" in my collection page)
-It interests me
-Good updated figures for my displays

For that last one, the best example I have is my Jabba'a palace display.  I have not, nor will I, buy every alien that was in Jabba's palace for that shelf.  I have recently upgraded the Gammorean Guard and will buy figures i think would go well in there.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 5, 2010, 05:54 AM »
Main Characters that are my faves from the six films - jedi,sith,imperials,rebels and then if there's any periphery characters that are also of interest.

EU characters I'd cherry pick based on how much I like them or not.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 5, 2010, 08:16 AM »
Pretty much everything!  Right now it's just figures on the vinty cardbacks. 

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 5, 2010, 08:49 AM »
The cantina is my focus, followed closely by Jabba's palace. Both are part of a much broader aliens focus. Loves me smealiens most of all, although I do buy pretty much everything as well.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 6, 2010, 09:33 AM »
TCW uber alles!

I'm only into the animated stuff really. The only non-TCW stuff I buy are weird offbeat things based off of Droids or Ewoks. (Like the new Wicket or the Boba Fett/BL-17 2-pack)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 6, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Three camps, with Original Trilogy favoritism.

Main Interests:
Aliens
troopers (empire, rebel, clone)
background characters
Bounty hunters

Secondary:
Concept art figures
EU characters from perquel/OT timeframe
Pilots (Not a ship collector, so...)
Seperatist/Droid army
Main heroes/villains

Less interested:
Jedi
Sith
EU characters from 1000 years before ANH or far after ROTJ
Astromech droids

There's exceptions, but I'm just prefer the average joe with a gun over the destined sword wielding champions. Also, astromechs don't do much...I mean for $7 or $8...I want something poseable that can hold stuff.