Author Topic: Hot Toys 1/6 Scaled Indiana Jones & Star Wars Lines  (Read 3969 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Hot Toys 1/6 Scaled Indiana Jones & Star Wars Lines
« on: December 17, 2010, 04:31 AM »
Your wallet just pooped itself, and your credit cards have been connected to heavy-duty radiators usually used only on the heaviest of equipment.

Are you in?

Hot Toys is anything but cheap, but to the 1/6 collector, they're generally worth it.  The sculpts are usually astounding in their detail and realism.  Their accessory counts are usually only rivaled by the ultimate military action figure companies like Dragon's highest-end military figures.

They're the kind of company that will pack-in gear a character was never even seen with, but which some obscure EU source said he always carried some in his pockets.  Like Han having a pack of cigarettes or something.

I have resisted Sideshow figures, so I can't foresee me delving into Hot Toys, which will cost more.  It's inevitable.  However, I would be lying if I said I wasn't sorely tempted with a lot of Sideshow's stuff because of the quality of it, and so Hot Toys is going to kill me inside to pass on the truly iconic stuff...  the price is just not justifiable to me, generally, but I know the temptation will be intense on some stuff.  A Hot Toys Vader?  A Hot Toys Anakin/Obi-Wan from ROTS?  Egads.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Online EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Hot Toys 1/6 Scaled Indiana Jones & Star Wars Lines
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 07:01 AM »
I can barely keep up with Sideshow to even contemplate another line of 12" figures.  I guess they can get the license because they are based in Hong Kong.  I just wonder what it will do to the SS secondary market.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I can only imagine some people wouldn't settle for SS's figures, which are great, but I just can't see it being anything but a negative in that regard.

Do many (any?) Sideshow figures hold their value well though?  or increase?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:02 PM »
I am about to cancel some SS orders because of the prices.  I like the pieces but can't justify paying the money when there are other needs.  Hot Toys coming along is fine with me.  However, I think it's odd that there will be 2 companies selling SW 12 inch figures.  On the bright side I'm hoping the two cover more characters.  I just hope they don't have tons and of the same ones made by both lines.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I think its awesome and if i wasn't back in school, i would be in. Hot toys is incredible and are not afraid to produce 12 inch scale vehicles.  I thought i read that sideshow would be involved with this too, not sure if it was just distribution though.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 03:41 PM »
I'm intersted to see what they produce...but I'm happy with what Sideshow has produced so far.

Wouldn't mind a TPM Obi-Wan though.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 08:25 PM »
If you didn't catch it, they posted images of Indy on Friday via their facebook page, and it's pretty neat...  The idol base, desert robes, staff of ra, both his webley revolver AND his .45 which he rarely is given I think...  I think it's a pretty slick set, but the pricetag is going to be attrocious.  It has to be.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I guess this is only now official today?  ???

Either way, it came up back in December regardless.

If you think SS makes nice figures...  well...  Hey, you've not delved into the 1:6 market at large then.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 02:49 PM »
I guess this is only now official today?  ???

No, the announcement today is more that Sideshow and Hot Toys are partnering up - stuff like Sideshow won't make an awesome Cario Indy for the Map Room set, but they will sell you the Hot Toys version, etc.

I think it's just an agreement between the two to work closer together and not step on each other's toes so much.  Why buy a $200 Hot Toys IG88 for example if Sideshow just put one out, etc. 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 02:58 PM »
Ah ok...  I was confused since Hot Toys I knew was partnered with them and announced their license for IJ and SW back in December.  I figured it was just a done deal, basically.  I like the idea of them working together a lot.