Author Topic: Fantastic Four To Lose a Member  (Read 9193 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Fantastic Four To Lose a Member
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 06:44 PM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

[marvelexec]Sales are lagging for the F4, time to pull out the death of a member card and have them ressurected in 2 years[/marvelexec]

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 06:47 PM »
They'll be back (see Scott's post). Or someone else will take their place.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I just hope we get our marvel universe invisible woman soon.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 03:13 PM »
I've never really gotten into the FF - don't hate them, just don't find them all that interesting.  I'll pick upa couple of issues to see what happens though.  Sounds like there are bigger ramifications for the Marvel U than just the usual kill a guy off and bring him back.  I'm 100% sure that whoever dies off will be back in some form (just like always), but higher stakes do sometimes make for a more meaningful story than the usual Super Team vs. Super Baddie.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I just hope we get our marvel universe invisible woman soon.

Yup.

I've been reading the Fantastic Four leading up to this event.  The last 4 issues starting with #583 is collectively called "Three: Countdown to Casualty."

I think it's going to be Thing who goes.  He recently drank a potion that made him human again.  He got to experience a normal week for the first time in years.  Now suddenly, still in his human state, a 2nd Annilihus Wave has attacked the Baxter Building to get to the Negative Zone.  He's most vulnerable, plus he kinda peaked when he became human again.

Then again, the other 3 members are also all in deep poop at the moment.  Torch is at the Baxter Building with Thing when the aliens attacked.  Sue Storm is in Atlantis with Namor, for what she thought was the negotiation of peace amongst the different kingdoms.  Unfortunately Namor took it upon himself to stab 2 of the members of another race with a trident, and now all hell broke loose.  Maybe she'll get caught in the crossfire.

And Reed is in outer space trying to stop Galactus from eating Earth again.  Nothing new there.  So he's in trouble too.

So the culmination is in 3 weeks, it's issue #587, and it's gonna be a double issue in a sealed baggie.

Comics to buy tomorrow:

Daken Dark Wolverine #4
Avengers #8
Hulk #28
Bullseye Perfect Game #2 of 2
Osborn #2 
What if? (Osborn wins the Siege of Asgard) #200

Good week!!
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Meh...
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 10:39 AM »
Personally, I've always enjoyed the Fantastic Four.  It may be because my Dad was a fan of them growing up, and enjoyed the old 60s cartoon series at that time.  Like any other character, it depends on the writer, but the current run has been pretty good I think.  Like any other comic book "death", it is always with a grain of salt.  Sure, I'm guessing they'll be back eventually, but I understand that going in.  With 40-60 years worth of stories for many of these characters/teams, you have to shake it up somehow every so often.

As far as who it will be, it is difficult to say.  Like Dressel mentioned, they've put each of them in a fairly perilous situation (intentionally of course), and I can't say I feel real strongly either way right now.  It may mean nothing, but I noticed in one of the promo images for Marvel's next event "Fear Itself", the Thing is pictured.  Since this doesn't start until April, you would think that would mean he is still around - but who knows.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I can't say I feel real strongly either way right now.  It may mean nothing, but I noticed in one of the promo images for Marvel's next event "Fear Itself", the Thing is pictured.  Since this doesn't start until April, you would think that would mean he is still around - but who knows.

Yeah I saw that too.  But in Shadowland for example, Punisher was walking around intact in Hell's Kitchen, 12 months after Daken hacked him to pieces and chopped his head off, and 3 months before they explained in Punisher's books how the bloodstone brought him back to life.  So, it seems the stories are non-continuous.  Wolverine appears in a host of books right now also, even though his soul is in hell and his body has been possessed by the Red Right Hand and is on fire.  Just another example how stories are non-continuous/simultaneous across different releases.  So, it can still be Thing.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 11:48 PM »
Funny thing about the Thing is that he is also in the New Avengers right now.  He's still in "thing form" in that book, which speaks to continuity/timing issues, but would be the biggest overhaul to get rid of him given that he's a member of two teams right now.  My money is on the Torch.  Didn't the original Torch (android version) come back into the Marvel U along with Toro a few years back?  I like Johnny Storm the best, but doesn't seem like the Marvel U has need of three Human Torches...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 03:11 PM »
Fantastic Four #587 will be available at comic shops on Tuesday, instead of the traditional Wednesday.  Stoked!!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:53 AM »
So, the big issue comes out tomorrow...any final guesses?  I doubt I'll be able to avoid the spoilers before I get my copy from Marvel Subs, which will probably be next week.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 12:26 PM »
I'll guess - Human Torch.  Thing is too iconic, Reid is too boring and Sue is too predictable. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 12:46 PM »
I'll guess - Human Torch.  Thing is too iconic, Reid is too boring and Sue is too predictable. 

Yeah, I've sort of been thinking the same way.  I don't really want to see any of them go (although we all know how death in comics goes), but Torch does seem like a good candidate for the reasons you mentioned.  I definitely don't think it will be the Thing, with him having ties to Avengers, possibly the Fear Itself event, and more.  The reasoning you mentioned for Reed and Sue is sound too.  I know a lot of people sort of ignore the F4 these days, but the current run has actually been pretty good I think.  I've always been a fan due to my dad (who was a fan of the old F4 cartoon series) so I've been interested to see how this all goes.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 01:55 PM »
My final guess is Thing, although none of them would shock me.  I'll know by tomorrow night for sure, as I'm picking up the issue around 1 PM.  I will post my thoughts in here highlighted by a BIG SPOILER warning.