Author Topic: Joecon 2011  (Read 9557 times)

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
Re: Joecon 2011
« Reply #15 on: April 1, 2011, 01:21 AM »
Zoinks.  Someone over at HissTank.com just posted the price list and the Space Diver is $69 + tax.  He does look like he has a more detailed outfit and more accessories than the Henchman, but that's still $20 more than last year's figure.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 1, 2011, 09:10 AM »
I am real excited about the DiC Joe DVD releases  ;D that were revealed.  Shout Factory rocks!  M.A.S.K. is on the way too!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 2, 2011, 02:23 PM »
The announcements from Hasbro look pretty good. 

I especially like the Renegades Scarlett (looks excellent, very attractive head sculpt), Storm Shadow and Law & Order.

The best announcement is Kwinn.  The head sculpt is a little off, I thought it should be a little rounder, more full, but overall it's an excellent figure and I can't wait to pick him up.

I'm kind of disappointed that there's no Baroness and there seems to be a heavy concentration of Renegads figures even though, as we know now, the cartoon is basically cancelled.  Still, the figures all look pretty well done. 

The Data Viper looks kind of iffy, though, and a Zombie Viper?  Really?  Can we cut the zombification of everything.  Now.  Please.

Oh, and $80 on the SDCC Skystriker/Starscream repaint?  I think that's kind of high, but it looks excellent, the box art is incredible and if HTS.com gets them, I would like to own one.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #18 on: April 2, 2011, 03:49 PM »
I really like Airtight and Lifeline. There is really a lot of Renegades figures, which doesn't make sense since the cartoon is done with for now, but a lot of them still look pretty cool.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 3, 2011, 06:43 AM »
Hasbro's lead time is so far in advance that they kind of have to release those figures since they were so far into production, and they couldn't have anticipated the cartoon getting pulled.  Well, they could have, I guess, since they own the damn network.  I still think the whole thing with Renegades being pulled is shady.

Overall, I think there's some excellent stuff being shown off.  Hasbro's biggest problem right now is getting retail to buy in to what they're putting out.  Without Walmart, we won't see half this stuff.  TRU can't be counted on anymore and Target is devoting minimal shelf space and currently seems to be stuck on wave 2 of the POC figures.  I don't follow store finds posts on the Joe boards, but what I did see was that Target got some early wave 3 shipments and then basically has been cut off.  I don't recall ever seeing a report of wave 4 at Target and Walmart only seemed to get it briefly before most stores pulled their Joe sections.

E...

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 3, 2011, 07:50 AM »
Some sensational figures seen there:

A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 3, 2011, 08:20 AM »

The Data Viper looks kind of iffy, though, and a Zombie Viper?  Really?  Can we cut the zombification of everything.  Now.  Please.

E, I could not agree with you more.  Zombies?  Really?  Time and resources and an Army builder slot were wasted on FREAKING ZOMBIES? 

When a realistic-ish line starts fighting Monsters it always announces the end of the line (or at least should)...  Joe incarnations of the past ended after "The Intruders", Space Marine Aliens.

I assume we will now see Vampire-Viper's, Werewolf-viper's, Ghost Vipers (Basically an empty bubble on a card, pure Marketing genius), Franken-joe, Mummy-Trooper, Alien-Guard and Walking Amoeba's.. oh wait those are in the Renegades line.

I pretty much quit looking at pictures as soon as I saw the Zombie, so I am just guessing.

I remember back when Joe was innovative and lead the industry, now they trail behind and pick up the droppings.   It is disappointing. 

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 3, 2011, 08:55 AM »
heh - personally, I love the Zombie viper.   ;D

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 3, 2011, 02:02 PM »
I'll be getting several Zombie Vipers.  Love it.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 5, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Impressed by everything - even the outlandish figures.  Good stuff IMO.

Oh, and $80 on the SDCC Skystriker/Starscream repaint?  I think that's kind of high, but it looks excellent, the box art is incredible and if HTS.com gets them, I would like to own one.

E...

Ya I don't quite understand the $50 difference in price, but I will try and own one.  Hoping that Zarana doesn't disappear as quickly as Slaughter did last year.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: April 5, 2011, 11:59 PM »
I really liked the figures shown at the show...  Sadly I think I may have to pick up a few this year.  Tunnel Rat, Hazard Viper, and Stalker are my tops...  I will say, I kind of dig the Zombie Viper in that it goes well with the Hazard Viper, you have to admit.  There's a "pattern" there.

I'm into Zombies though...  I just think it'd be cool with that one particular cobra as like its "handler" or something.

Some cool stuff...  I really dig a lot of the dfferent figures and I think the Renegades stuff looks great.  If there wasn't Star Wars I'd be 100% in on Joe I think.  It'd be hard to resist anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 6, 2011, 12:10 AM »
I will say, I kind of dig the Zombie Viper in that it goes well with the Hazard Viper, you have to admit.  There's a "pattern" there.

I'm into Zombies though...  I just think it'd be cool with that one particular cobra as like its "handler" or something.

Believe it or not, those two figures are connected! The Hazard Viper (along with the Cobra Commander) come with containers fill with blue stuff, which "creates" the zombies. It's nice to have a loose "story" being established.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: April 6, 2011, 12:12 AM »
That is very neat then...  I'm ok with that then.  It's different...  it doesn't sound like it'd expand.  I'm into the whole "re-animation" aspect.  That seems like the type of f'd up stuff Cobra would try doing.  Mind-Bender getting a figure that pertains to that sub-plot would've been neat too.  Or even just a generic Cobra scientist of sorts.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 6, 2011, 08:33 AM »
On Scum someone posted some more pics of that Zombie Viper.  I initially thought those things on the ground next to him were tree limbs (doesn't make sense - I know) - turns out they are giant over-sized arms to put on your Zombies.  So now the Zombies aren't just Zombies - they are Mutant Zombies!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 6, 2011, 12:13 PM »
I am right there with you Jesse - if not for Star Wars, I'd be going nuts with GI JOE stuff right now... it's really nice how much they've improved things with the modern figuers... the first few waves of 25th stuff, I was glad to see the figures but the quality really wasn't that great on a lot of them.  They got better near the tail end of it, but when you see what they are doing now, this stuff is really damn good.