Author Topic: Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures  (Read 25071 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Mattel Green Lantern Movie Figures
« Reply #30 on: July 5, 2011, 12:00 PM »
I noticed that our Target stores have already started clearancing the Movie Masters Green Lantern stuff.  Granted, it is basically just the first wave around here, but they've all been marked down.  I haven't seen the smaller line get discounted, but I wonder how the line overall is doing (with the movie not doing so hot).  Not sure if anyone here collects any of it, but just thought I'd pass it along for those interested.  Thor deluxe is also on clearance at our stores, although the regular line is not.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 04:32 PM »
Did anyone end up buying any of the GL Movie stuff?  It really seems to be sitting at retail, and I'm sure the negative vibe surrounding the movie via reviews and stuff will help much.  Although I did pass on all the small stuff, I admit to picking up some of the Movie Masters (which haven't made it past the first wave or so at retail).  I got mine online, and at one time intended to try and "collect 'em all", but I'm thinking of backing out of that now.  They are well done, and I'm glad to have Hal and Sinestro in particular (and I hope to get Kilowog from SDCC if it is offered online), but outside of that it might be an easy way to cut costs :).  The line overall doesn't seem to be moving much here locally though.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2011, 04:36 PM »
I ended up not buying any.  I think the best deal on the 4" figures is probably the Walmart 2-packs with the Lantern and Guardian figures.  Two figs for $12-something, you get the hero Lanterns which seem to be the same as the single card figure and the Guardian for less than 2 single figs.

I think they only have sets 1-3 at my store, I don't know if 4-6 were supposed to be a second wave or what, but I'm thinking we won't see them at retail.

After moving for the first week or so at Target, the line has crashed at Target and WM but WM has definitely been stuck with the most product as they got a big cardboard display plus shelf pegs plus cardboard trays for the 2-packs.  They're really ******.

E..
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2011, 01:44 PM »
I picked up the maskless Hal just for Bzzd, but that's the only one.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2011, 09:51 PM »
I picked up a Rot Lop Fan since he's close enough to his comic counterpart to hang with my DCU Lanterns and i picked up 5 of the alien lanterns in the 4" scale just cuz I thought they were neat looking and I got them on sale. I thought about going for the movie masters, but decided to stick with the little ones instead since they're significantly cheaper.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2011, 06:12 PM »
I've been doing some regular toy runs over the past several weeks.  And I cannot help but notice a glut of Green Lantern product at a number of retailers.  Notably with TRU and WalMart.  Did Mattel just go out of their minds with the projected sales of this line, or did the retailers really think that the movie would generate massive toy sales?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 06:18 PM »
I noticed the 6" line is on clearance already at the local Target.  That didn't take long...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 06:22 PM »
You have to love Target and just how ruthless they are about inventory management.  If it isn't selling, it gets clearanced REALLY QUICK!  They want to get that stagnant stock out asap so they can bring in something that WILL sell well.

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 06:25 PM »
You have to love Target and just how ruthless they are about inventory management.  If it isn't selling, it gets clearanced REALLY QUICK!  They want to get that stagnant stock out asap so they can bring in something that WILL sell well.

Agreed, though you need to fit the word "arbitrary" in there someone.  Their exclusive SW arena packs have been hogging shelf space for a year now and moved from $13 to $16 in some local stores.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 09:21 PM »
Yeah, and they stubbornly refuse to clearance their clearly stagnant exclusive battlepacks. (Hostage Crisis, etc)

Why are they still clinging to those things at full price?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2011, 10:13 PM »
I think Target regards Star Wars very differently from Green Lantern or other movie lines.  SW has legs and has been around for 16 years since it was re-introduced.  It sells year round, regardless of entertainment support.

Green Lantern (like most summer movies) on the other hand, had a limited shelf life:  the lead up to the movie, the time that it's actually in the theaters, and the decline.  And with this particular movie, it really didn't have legs in the theaters.  I think that is why Target is already moving to start clearancing the GL line already.

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38 PM »
Well, its not like Target is abandoning GL altogether, just some of the stuff.  The stuff that is more closely tied to the movie (role play blasters, ring slingers, mask) and the classicall-mistreated-by-Target (12" figures, 7" figures) are being dumped since the movie tanked.

The 3.75" stuff that may have some longer life (the basic line, the deluxe line, and Target's exclusive light-up stuff) are all in the new reset planogram and will be sticking around a little while longer at least.  In fact, there is even some new GL movie stuff hitting for the 3.75" scale = a nifty jet plane construct for GL and a few other construct related packs.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 12:18 AM »
Finally broke down and picked up three of the GL Movie Master figures - Hal Jordan, Tomar Re, and Naut Ke Loi.  They were 75% off at Target.  At $3.98 each, I just couldn't resist. :P

Naut Ke Loi looks pretty good with my DCD Lanterns and I think I'll take Tomar and Hal to work for entertainment during the lame teleconferences at my desk.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2011, 06:31 PM »
At 4.00 each i will build that terrible BAF, guess i need to hit up Target.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 09:59 PM »
Thanks to the 50% off practically all DC action figures sale at Target this week, I finally caved and picked up some GL 3.75" figures.

I grabbed 3.75" Movie Hal, Sinestro, Tomar Re, and Kilowog.  Felt good getting them for just $4 each.  There was no way I was paying $8-9 for these, but $4 feels right for what they are (5-point-of-articulation mini statues :P).

Now of course I have to have an internal debate about whether or not I need to hit more Target stores this week trying to track down as many of the remaining GLs as I can before the sale ends...  :-[