Author Topic: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs  (Read 75676 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs
« Reply #15 on: January 6, 2011, 05:57 PM »
I agree, this was the perfect opportunity to do a gray DST, and we've already established a trend with 4-Lom and Zuckuss, so why not indulge a little?

I'll buy the Hoth set.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 6, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I actually disagree on the grey DST's being included...

First, I think the 30AC Death Star Trooper is a weak figure overall...  It takes a bit of modifying it to get it to look a normal height, and fix the leg bowing.  A lot of people don't likek the way the ball-joints look (I am ok with them, but they could be better hidden for sure), and then there are some oddities about the sculpt...  

For me, I like the figure well enough if I find it cheap, as I don't mind modifying it, but in general I'd prefer seeing a new sculpt of the DST someday that lived up to modern standards.  I give it an A for effort, but a C for execution ultimately.  I think ultimately many people look down on the figure's sculpt overall though.

Second, does anyone really want to army build it in a 3-pack?  OK, JACK is willing to, but I know I'm not giddy at the thought of paying for 3 figures to get one I actually care about, and I'd like a couple commanders for DST's.  The Hoth Rebel set's different to me because I wouldn't mind another Leia and 2-1B is actually a decent representation of the character.  Perhaps a little oversized, but the prop looked fairly big at the Where Science Meets Imagination exhibit so I dunno.  I prefer the POTF2 figure to the ROTS figure, ironically.  I'd love a new OT version though, sure.

The point there being ultimately that a lot of people are into a couple of these, and a 3-pack of figures you don't want and one that peole may want, kinda stings.

But third, I don't think a simple repaint of the 30AC figure is accurate enough for me...  The Death Squad Commander's got some specific enough details that I think I'd just prefer they either used other parts at the very least, or a newly sculpted figure.

I'd also add in that Hasbro would now have the avenue open to say, "Well we already did that....", and if that figure isn't up to snuff for a lot of people, then the door may be shut for a future one on a better sculpt.  I'm not sure how into doing that repaint Hasbro is, or if they're waiting for an improvement themselves maybe?

Here's a weird thought though...  Would you want a purely screen-accurate grey Death Squad Commander or the Vintage figure accurate?  The vintage figure sports a rank badge, the guy it's based on didn't.  Weird thought.  Maybe worth starting a new thread for.  I think there'll be even split.  Check for the thread.  It's a weird thought that just came to me, that they're different.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2011, 08:12 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 6, 2011, 08:05 PM »
I regret Luke Pilot comes without hilt and saber, in the case of Ben Kenobi he lacks the chair and Leia hologram, but they used a different tone of brown for the softgoods. (When Hasbro repacks, they always diminishes accsesories; itīs and old and very known tale)

Looks like the stormtrooper is the same for the anh wave: Han, lUke stormie, gree, r5d4.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 6, 2011, 10:52 PM »
I will mainly buy this for the villain set and keep it on the cardback.  For some reason I have to have that even though it's the same damn figures we keep getting over and over and over again.  I know you have to buy the whole 9 pack.  I'm ok with getting that Rebel Hoth Soldier again. 

They finally give us VOTC Han Solo but it's on something I won't open.  Sigh.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: January 7, 2011, 12:09 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, the next ones should likely be individuals, not a 9-pack... 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 08:45 PM »
Oh well great then! 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2011, 12:10 PM »
I'm sure it isn't a big deal, but I just noticed that in Hasbro's TF presentation, the slide for these only included the two ANH sets (Han/X-Wing Luke/Obi, Vader/Stormie/DST).  I know that the Hoth set was also rumored/leaked/shown online earlier (in this thread), so I'm sure it is still coming and it was just an oversight.  Although they are all repacks, I'm sort of looking forward to these - if nothing else to get at least one more of those VOTC Han Solos.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 5, 2011, 06:27 PM »
The 3rd wave of three packs according to Banthaskull:

Bossk/ IG-88/ Imperial Stormtrooper in Hoth Battle Gear 
R2-D2/ C-3PO/ Chewbacca  (strangely referred to back in the day as Android Set).
Dengar/ Imperial Commander/ AT-AT Driver

The real mystery is what the imperial commander will be, hopefully not a POTJ version. But these have been all repacks thus far. So maybe Renz or Dyer from the battle packs?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #23 on: May 5, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Target DPCI: 087-06-0302
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: May 5, 2011, 09:24 PM »
I'm thinking one of th eofficers from the Endor packs perhaps.  I sorta hope it's not a new figure.  I'd rather a basic carded army builder than a $20 set where there's ONE guy every soul wants, and many want a lot of it.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 5, 2011, 11:17 PM »
I didn't realize that people were finding them early. $20 a set. I'll skip 'em unless there's a sale. 

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 6, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Short boxes of suck ?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #27 on: May 6, 2011, 10:02 AM »
What's weird about them too is that the packaging for these new three are taller than the first 3. Were the original (70s-80s) vintage ones that way???
« Last Edit: May 6, 2011, 10:13 AM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 6, 2011, 10:29 AM »
These things have the Nostalgia factor off the chart for me.  So I will probably get them and then just snake the figures that I want/need out of the pack and then let the kids have the rest.

Notice how Vader is all bent at the knees so he fits in the package.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 7, 2011, 06:59 PM »
These are almost like Battle Packs for $6-10 off. BPs are only gonna include 3 figures going forward, right? But those are priced from $26-30, I think.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"