Author Topic: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie  (Read 33512 times)

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: GI Joe Retaliation - The Movie
« Reply #15 on: March 8, 2011, 07:42 AM »
I am just hoping visually there are some changes.  I could handle Carol Channing Tatum if perhaps the Joes looked a bit different from the Cobras.

The fact that everybody in the movie (except Storm Shadow) wore head to toe all black (with the occasional Zombie Helmet) really annoyed me.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 4, 2011, 11:02 PM »
Holy **** this is looking baaaaaaaad.

Even if it isn't Cross-Country, who the **** is "Cross?"  Don't make up new characters, use the real ones.  And don't change them, use them as they were (more or less).
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: April 4, 2011, 11:20 PM »
Maybe it's just shortened?  I hope?  Perhaps?  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 5, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I've thought about this some more, and am wondering if they are looking at centralizing a Joe team in the United States for the next film... in the first one, the focus is overseas, with the Pit headquarters somewhere in the Middle East and so much of the action in Europe.

So, it's in the US, it would make sense to have other Joes taking the spotlight... maybe Zartan (POTUS) makes some sort of funding to Cobra secretly with a place known as Cobra Island, and Cobra Commander and Destro are released from prison and get there, or even broken out via the Dreadnoks or something... I don't know.  But Dreaknoks in this one could be a lot of fun if they are some of the primary antagonists in the film...

Give us Flint, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, Gung Ho, Spirit, Snake Eyes, Duke and more realistic military designs, create some sort of blue Cobra troopers... have a cameo with General Hawk via a viewscreen or something so he has a role, and I think we could be in for a something good if the designs aren't too "out there" and the acting is better.  Because we know the action is going to be good, and the script will probably be decent as the last one wasn't bad really; it just suffered from a few things that went overboard.

I don't mind a lot of the Joes being different characters now, but it HAS to have Duke and Snake Eyes... and I think that Cobra needs to have Cobra Commander and Destro.  Baroness would be great, but if she's mentioned as being jailed up, and returns for Part 3, that could be okay.  But please, no Serpentor... however, I do want to see Major Bludd.  Maybe he can be a US General who defects to Cobra and is part of the buildup on Cobra Island... just my two cents.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2011, 10:20 PM »
Yeah, I have no problem if they dump Heavy Duty and Breaker (though I liked Scarlett and hope she returns) and add anyother Joes; I just don't want some sort of retconned alternative history.  I'd go nuts if they had Beachhead, Stalker, Recondo, Shipwreck and Dusty in addition to the ones you mentioned, Chew.  I love the idea of the Dreadnoks.

I really just want the character designs to look like this.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: April 5, 2011, 11:38 PM »
I'd go nuts if they had Beachhead, Stalker, Recondo, Shipwreck and Dusty

Great list... 

I'd add Steeler, Airborne, Tunnel Rat, and Clutch...  Just some of my favs I'd love to see in the movie I guess.  The movie could tank though, and I'll ultimately not care then I guess.  I've lost most faith in what they're able to do after the first film.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #21 on: April 6, 2011, 02:10 AM »
I'd love to see Beachhead, Tomax & Xamot (as heads of MARS since Destro's locked up) and the Dreadnoks. I'm sure they won't get Tatum back, and Rachel Nichols is out, so I'm guessing Flint and Lady Jaye are the big two this time. Hell, let's throw in Wet Suit since he's my personal favorite.

I enjoyed ROC, but I'm still cautiously optimistic about this one. Doesn't help that one of the producers, who got three TF movies and one Joe movie made, ended his relationship with Paramount last week.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 6, 2011, 12:16 PM »
I thought that Tatum was confirmed as Duke again.

Also, since Ripcord died (apparently) in Joe Renegades, that could be their "out" to not have him in the movie.  Which is fine by me.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 6, 2011, 03:04 PM »
I'm still trying to get over the fact that the cast is basically going to be all new except for, possibly, Channing Tatum.

It just seems like this film has had nothing but bad buzz on it from the start.  New cast, Jon Chu directing, di Bonaventura is out...Have they announced writers for this yet?  It just seems to me that with nearly 30 years of ARAH history to draw from, including comics, cartoons and action figures, that they could come up with something that doesn't suck.

And although I didn't **** all over the first Joe movie, there were a lot of things wrong with it that didn't have to be wrong with it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 7, 2011, 10:04 PM »
Writers are the only good thing so far.

But for ****'s sake, get rid of Tatum and find someone who is actually a Joe fan to consult on the script.

That's the best thing the sequel has going for it, it is being written by Zombieland screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.  The first movie Wernick made was a stop motion GI Joe movie when he was a kid, and Reese has said, "we're not allowed to talk about what the movie's about, but just know that we have a deep affection for GI Joe and that we'll bring our absolute best to it."

Additionally, although director John Chu's track record is almost exclusively ****** films that I wouldn't watch if you paid me, but I think he's got the right idea:

[G.I.] Joe, to me, is iconic. It is as American as Coke and the Boy Scouts. To have that kind of history in a brand is so rare these days. And that is so powerful. So you can’t treat Joe like its just another action movie. You can’t treat Joe as just another petty commercial movie. Joe has history. Joe has always been a part of what America is, and now the world. What it means to be a leader and a hero. For me, it is about the fun stuff like Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, and all the gadgets. All of that stuff. But it has heart. Its heart is what America, and what heroes and leaders around the world, strive to be. I think that is what the brand needs. It needs the respect to be treated in that way.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 8, 2011, 12:34 AM »
I guess I should have read back a page...

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2011, 10:54 PM »
Maybe Jon Chu is the right guy after all...

I was always a fan of Joe. I grew up with Joe. I had all the toys and I had epic adventures - they'd be burned, they'd be in mud, they'd be hidden in the couch. I loved them. I'm convinced I learned the beginning of my storytelling from playing with toys, no doubt. And it's hard for me to put down any filmmaker's work because I know how hard it is to make a movie, and I never want to do that; just to be able to get it done is an incredible feat in itself. But there's something about G.I. Joe that has history, that has a soul, and there's very few brands have a soul. Like the Boy Scouts has something to do with America, even Mickey Mouse, even Apple has a soul to it. And Joe has a soul. And I've never felt like I've had a movie of Joe of where I can taste my childhood right there.

So when I found out they were doing a second one, I [told Paramount] you've got to do this one the way we've always wanted to see - and they were like, what do you mean? And there's a reality to Joe, there's like a grittiness to Joe; when I would burn them and their arm would fall off, the story would revolve around the guy whose arm fell off. It was about how each figurine had their own special accessory that was a part of their identity. It wasn't just brushing them aside, like, oh this group of guys, let's go attack that thing, and they have a cool car! It was always that detail, that grittiness that I feel like if Joe had it in there, it would be a totally different movie and have a totally different feel. So I approached them about what that would be like, and they loved the idea. And they had a script that was close, and we're going now in and making it the way it should be. And the script they have is really good, actually, so we now want to build in a few more things that will make it even better.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 02:24 AM »
The more I read comments from actors and directors and people on the "inside," the more I feel like they're just making **** up because it's what they think we, the viewing public, want to hear.

And also, I think they're all mostly self-centered egomaniacs that think what they do is that much more important than what the rest of society does, even though if every job for every actor, director and scriptwriter went away the world would function just fine.  But take away all the garbage men in LA for one week and those same ******* would have a mental meltdown and check themselves into rehab to deal with it.

I would also like to revoke the right to use the word "surreal" from everyone in Hollywood.

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 3, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 6, 2011, 07:53 AM »
The news keeps improving.