Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 6  (Read 94255 times)

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 6
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2011, 10:00 AM »
I love this wave! The new Phase 1 Clone and AT-RT driver make the old clones look like Galactic Heroes (Chunky). Once you get these two new clone tools in hand and compare there is just no denying the difference, it's night and day. These new tools will respark the Clone craze and I hope they offer the Phase 1 Clone in it's own case. Even the new weapons are screen accurate! I am dumping the old army fo'sure!

I will also be doing a boil and pop with the Lukes to make them movie accurate I will post some pics tomorrow.
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2011, 10:20 AM »
Once you get these two new clone tools in hand and compare there is just no denying the difference, it's night and day.

Yeah there is no denying the difference.  But the claim that the new clone is an upgrade is up for debate.  You can tell just by looking at the package that the clone figure is skinnier than the clone fighting in the arena in the picture.  It's also a little too tall.  Almost as tall as Darth Vader.

For me the 2003 SA version and it's rereleases are still the most screen accurate.  I also consider the helmet to be a superior sculpt to the new clone. But it's a matter of personal preference.  If someone likes the new one better, go for it.  Life is short.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:21 AM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2011, 11:26 AM »
Got my TVC Dagobah Luke today and it's a 9/10 for me,well articulated,the sculpt is spot on,face is the only area where the likeness to ESB Mark Hamill is off.

Holster,blaster,lightsaber and helmet all are well done.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2011, 04:53 PM »
I will not argue/debate personal preference of which clones ones prefer but the new Clone is more screen accurate in every regard, even his weapons are. Just look at the sculpts below with the movie shot, there is no denying it, event he proportions are more realistic: (DISCLAIMER TO ALL JD MEMBERS - IN THE STUPID AGE OF OVER SENSITIVITY MY POST IS NOT MEANT TO BE A FIGHT, TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN PERSONALLY. I AM JUST STATING STRONG OPINION BACKED UP BY COMPARISON EVIDENCE

In regards to this figures height he is a smidge taller than the old one. The stance of the legs is wider on the old clone so the height difference is so minor it could actually be the same. I was blown away by this figure and the AT-RT driver, they looked like they walked off the screen. The articulation is so well hidden to boot. Again, I am not trying to rub anyone the wrong way but when you actually get this in hand you will see the details are spot on when you compare with old one. The old one is still a nice figure (I still love the 442nd clones!) but if you are like me and want the most screen accurate figure the old clone does not cut it anymore.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 04:55 PM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2011, 05:32 PM »
I don't know.  I really don't agree that they're that different...  Different yes, but I wouldn't say that they make older figures look obsolete, especially the AT-RT Driver.  To me that's the one that is the most similar to its predecessor.

The Clone there's a significant difference but I agree with Dressel that it's debatable as to which you like better.

The armor sits higher on the new Clone but in the picture of the Clone from Geonosis you can see the armor looking more "fitted".  I kind of like the new one's helmet better though, and for me I prefer the improved articulation and removable helmet for sure.  So I won't rebuild any army, I'll simply add to it, as I see them mixing well.

For me, I actually prefer the ROTS AT-RT Driver in one big way...  He can actually hold a gun with two hands. :)

The new figure's chest armor is restrictive to the arm articulation when you're trying to pose him holding a rifle at all.  It's very weird.  What's neat on both of the new Clones though, is that you can pose the arms straight outward from the body.  The armor actually is designed to move up into a concave sculpting around the armpit and over the shoulder.  It takes some effort, but it's designed to do this.  I thought I read somewhere (Yak maybe?) that the arm couldn't move this way, but it can.  It's just really well hidden.  (Having his arms straight out at his sides like he's taking a DUI test for balance or something).
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Yeah, this is more screen accurate... now only if Hasbro had given us something this nice for the Phase 2 clones, rather than this mess, which by comparison is a disaster from head to toe...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36 PM »
Well, hrmmm.  Okay, look at Jackoftradze's middle picture of the new clone, then look at these photos of what a phase I clone should look like:

It's pretty clear to me that the new clone looks more like the animated version than the movie version, and that the 2003+ SA release is more in line with the movie clones.

But you know what, we all see different things!  That's fine.  I remember when people thought Monkey Leia was the best thing since sliced bread.  I won't be army building the new clone but that's me.  Especially at these prices.  Nobody needs to get offended over anyone's opinion of the new clone trooper.  We're supposed to all be chiming in our thoughts in these threads, that's what they're for.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:42 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2011, 07:19 PM »
I just got this in wave from HTS - and man, they are all great - I really cant choose a favorite.  Early on I thought it would be Fi Ek, but now I really just dont know.  Awesome wave.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2011, 08:11 PM »
It's pretty clear to me that the new clone looks more like the animated version than the movie version, and that the 2003+ SA release is more in line with the movie clones.

But you know what, we all see different things!  That's fine.  I remember when people thought Monkey Leia was the best thing since sliced bread.  I won't be army building the new clone but that's me.  Especially at these prices.  Nobody needs to get offended over anyone's opinion of the new clone trooper.  We're supposed to all be chiming in our thoughts in these threads, that's what they're for.

I'll be the voice of indecision here. Each figure appears to have its own merits. The most notable "flaws" with the TVC Clone are the legs. They appear to be too long and too thin. However, the sculpt captures the angles and the lines in the armor better than the 2003 sculpt. The 2003 Clone has a certain bulkiness to it, that is more appealing than the thin nature of the TVC clone. The TVC helmet looks far more accurate from the front, while the 2003 helmet sculpt seems to more accurately portray the the helmet when seen from the side. The shoulder pads on the TVC Clone look to be too high up, but I like how they partially hide the shoulder joint.

TVC Clone wins hands-down for weapons. It's awesome to get a new blaster and a larger, more accurate rifle.

If something truly angers me about the new clone, it's how it stands out from the old mold. Both are solid figures, but they might as well be based on totally different characters. I'm still unsure if I'm going to mix the two sculpts together, replace the old clones, or just army build the new clone a little bit and display two separate Clone armies. I don't think I'll be totally replacing the 2003 SA Clone since I'm so used to seeing it in my collection, and I still absolutely love the figure. It's very cool that Hasbro decided to revisit the Episode II clone, but hopefully they don't update OT Troopers such as Biker Scouts or Snow Troopers.

Chewie, the upcoming 501st Clone Trooper appears to be the new clone sculpt with a different helmet. It's a damn shame that the ROTS white and Utapau clones were released with the Gelagrub body, especially now that this new sculpt incorporates the hips articulation and removable helmet while improving aesthetics and adding wrist articulation.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2011, 08:29 PM »
Other than the helmet issues (The new AOTC helmet shows how much better a new phase 2 helmet would look), I actually like the Gelagrub rider's sculpt for the ROTS style Clones...  I have my cleaned up 212th in an awesome crouching pose firing his rifle...  The helmet's fit is the only flaw I see with that figure personally.

I really think the new AOTC Trooper mixes better than people are giving it credit though...  I certainly will be making room for both.  And at $8.99 a figure, I won't be going batshit rebuying Clones anyway.  I'll nab a couple and call that a day then, till it hits a lower price.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2011, 09:44 PM »
I will not argue/debate personal preference of which clones ones prefer but the new Clone is more screen accurate in every regard, even his weapons are. Just look at the sculpts below with the movie shot, there is no denying it, event he proportions are more realistic: (DISCLAIMER TO ALL JD MEMBERS - IN THE STUPID AGE OF OVER SENSITIVITY MY POST IS NOT MEANT TO BE A FIGHT, TO BE RUDE OR ANYTHING OF THE SORT THAT SHOULD BE TAKEN PERSONALLY. I AM JUST STATING STRONG OPINION BACKED UP BY COMPARISON EVIDENCE

Careful,you may be actually able to have an opinion without having a barrage of rubbish levelled at you.

The old one is still a nice figure (I still love the 442nd clones!) but if you are like me and want the most screen accurate figure the old clone does not cut it anymore.

Agreed.

The Clone there's a significant difference but I agree with Dressel that it's debatable as to which you like better.

Of course it's debatable - the entire thing is subjective.
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18 PM »
I should've worded that better I guess, as I was more directly replying to WHY people like one over the other in regards to accuracy...  What people see seems to vary a good bit.  To me, the new one doesn't look screen accurate compared to the old one...  I was agreeing with Dressel's point of view that what we see on screen seems to be as open to debate, despite it being right there in front of us.

Personally I agree with Dressel though.  Some guys are seeing one thing...  some seem to see something else.  To me, the old sculpt looks like it has the "bulk" (literally) of what I see on screen.  The new figure looks thinner and taller...  I like his helmet more, and articulation, so I've got equal enjoyment from both figures I guess but for different reasons.  To me though, the old sculpt looks a lot more movie accurate, if that's your main driving force (though the new one's helmet looks more accurate itself).

In theory, what we see on screen shouldn't be this debatable, yet somehow here we are.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 15, 2011, 01:39 AM »
I got two of these today in the mail, and for me, there's just no contest.  The old one is a great figure, but this new one is simply astonishing to me.  If this figure is not too hard to find, I'd like to get at least a dozen. 

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #223 on: March 15, 2011, 02:12 AM »
I took some quick pics before I head to bed, I will read through the previous conversations and reply tomorrow. In the mean time here is some more fuel for the fun debate fire:

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:13 AM by JACKOFTRADZE »

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 15, 2011, 03:57 AM »
*Snip*

Yeah,can see your meaning now.

JACKOFTRADZE - excellent images to show the difference.

Bob Hope