Author Topic: Cancelled The Clone Wars Toys :(  (Read 11157 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Cancelled The Clone Wars Toys :(
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys, interesting points all around.

I guess another way to phrase my point would be that some of the figures originally under development for the Clone Wars line are finding their way into the current Legends line.

To wit:

SW CW R5 P8 A0831 
SW CW RAKO HARDEEN A0833 
SW CW3 AHSOKA A0839 
SW CW4 CAPTAIN REX A1597 
SW CW4 CAPTAIN REX A5085 
SW CW4 PONG KRELL A1805 
SW CW5 DARTH MAUL A1807 
SW CW5 JEDI TEMPLE GUARD A1803 
SW CW5 YODA A1806 
SW CW SHADOW MAGNA GUARD A0840
SW CW SHOCK TROOPER A2427
SW CW SUPER TACTICAL DROID KRAKEN A1804

That is straight from Hasbro, so the "CW" flag there seems to at least imply that there were additional figures planned for that line that never got released. I think we can all agree on that.

To what degree those figures were developed we may never know. Maybe there was some 3D imaging, basic dimensions mapped out, etc which they ended up using for the eventual Legends version. Maybe there were actually fully realized sculpts, prototypes, etc. I guess my point about the tweaking is more that they adapted whatever groundwork had already been laid for these figures as the basis for the Legends release.

Like, I doubt they would have designed a Jedi Temple Guard for the Clone Wars line and then thrown all that work out the window and started over from the ground up with a whole new interpretation just for the Legends line. It just seems logical they would piggyback on the work already completed.

I do get that some of these new 5 POA figures are fundamentally put together differently too, as I sadly found out when I went to swap out that atrocious Darth Maul head from the Mission Series 2-pack. But that Shocktrooper is a good old fashioned ball joint pop off head, just like a Phase II Clone Trooper, so who knows. When I hold him next to my other Shock Troopers he just looks a whole lot skinnier to me than the previous versions. Hence my initial suspicions.

At the end of the day, I don't know that it matters much, aside from the fact that I feel more motivated to buy figures that I think were originally intended for the animated line. Maybe I'm just projecting some wishful thinking though.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 09:27 PM »
I like the fact that some late Clone Wars offerings appear to be making their way into the Saga Legends line.  Especially the Jedi Temple Guardian. 

I get the sense that some of these figures may have already been in development before the plug was pulled on the Clone Wars animated series.  I hope that was the case because it might mean a little more articulation for those characters.

I think we're only going to know for certain about these figures when SDCC rolls around and we see some hard copies.  The poster only gave us a rundown of the characters.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 03:41 AM »
I don't think CW in the line means it was necessarily for the CW animated line...  It may, but that list had things from all over the place, different eras, etc. 

I honestly don't see anything animated about them really...  They look very much like attempts for that "straight" pose look Legends is going for...  I dunno.  They seem no more animated looking than TVC Ahsoka or OWK, or Ani to me I guess, but look at the new Clone sculpt for TBS and how people thought his skinnier legs looked more like the TCW line than before...  I think it just looks taller myself.

It's possible those CW figures on that list were intended to be realistic all along, in the realistic line...  Hasbro is totally willing to throw away existing toolings though, but who knows.  I see what you're saying with it being on that list then coming to the line, I just see it as they intended it all along to be what we're seeing, and it's tough to take an animated looking figure prototype and "dumb it down" to the under articulated Legends realistic looking figures ultimately.  I figure it's possible those were just figures they planned immediately once they had Legends 5POA mapped out.

I recall them saying they would look at more TCW figures but they'd be all realistic...  Then when 5 POA came to light that we were definitely getting that line, they said that's where TCW was going to go if it was going to turn up anywhere, thus Maul of course...  And now OWK's (because, well, OWK).  Sounds like they are going to throw us a bone with that Rex they had prototyped for TVC but that was clearly done already and tooled whereas the rest, who knows.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77