Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Lobot
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 12:34 PM »
The POTF2 dancing Lobot is the definitive take on the character.  ;)

The Kenner one always reminded me of Don Rickles.

I found the OTC version for cheap at a Kay-Bee, the only Star Wars figure they had. And hte only OTC packaged figure I ever bought.

I don't think he needs an update, at least, not any time soon.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2011, 01:32 PM »
All I want is a Lobot that's articulated-enough to be able to recreate this pose:

Is that too much to ask, Hasbro?

The Duplex demands it.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 06:35 PM »
I really loved Lobot as a kid for some reason...I always thought he was bad ass even though he really didn't do anything in the movie.  He always was hacking into Imperial Computers and was Super Brainy on top of that.  Fast forward to 2002 and a young Virex rekindled my love for all things Lobot.

I like the OTC version enough that a resculpt is low on my own radar...obviously he can use a SA update.  But there are better POTF2 candidates out there

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 08:45 PM »
All 3 Lobot versions deserve merit, they conserve the enigmatic expression of the character, even in the naif vintage one.
I think a tvc version would represent a challenge in depiction, starting with a removable belt (buckel detailed of course), and if he comes with a removable headgear, sculptors must prevent doing a hollow head, it would be desirable a complete head under that headset.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 10:54 PM »
I got my vintage Lobot as one of the figures in the Cloud City palyset from Sears as a kid.

I'd like an SA version just to recreate the dancing Lobot from Robot Chicken.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 11:01 PM »
I really loved Lobot as a kid for some reason...I always thought he was bad ass even though he really didn't do anything in the movie.

Just like Boba Fett. He played a pivotal role but otherwise was a man of mystery.

If Star Trek's communicators inspired the cell phone, I can't wait to see what Lobot's head tech brings us. The Apple iNoggin™?
Post sober.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:04 AM »
An outstanding update because this guy was a freak.

I didn't really care for the figure as a kid...  I don't know why though.  Something about him being bald made him just look like an old dude to me I guess.  I really don't what I even used the original figure for come to think of it.  I had a Lobot, but I can't recall ever playing with him much.

Anyway, his modern updates haven't been great, but the last one was acceptable.

First, the arms can do a couple good poses...  Very lobot-like poses, but ok ones regardless.  At the time, I was kind of impressed.  But the big update was that he wasn't lunging out of the way of bullets, Woo-style, or doing the hustle on a lighted dance floor.

Would I rebuy Lobot?  Sure...  I'd take him with enough articulation like Matt said, to bust a move, and to lounge on the fold-out at the duplex. 

What I dug about the otc figure though, was the gear...  He came with some arguably weird items, but they seemed applicable and useful.  And that laptop he has really was outstanding.  I liked the grainy-sculpt to make it look like a flickering holographic image of the Cloud City-scape.  The communicator was appreciate, and seemed to plug into the laptop for some reason or other.  I thought those were cool touches.

Lacking a pistol though, what kid gave a **** about this guy then?  One way the vintage figure was superior then, was that the guy could jump into the action once he took his meds and defragged.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 06:29 PM »
I would definitely welcome an better articulated version of the OTC Lobot as part of the Vintage Collection line. But I'm one of those idiots who's hoping that they cover all 96 original figures in the Vintage style packaging.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:38 PM »
The Duplex demands it.

The Dup is long overdue for an update.

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37 PM »
Something I think about hollow spaces in action figures is the work Hasbro did with potf2 jawas, they put that yellow phosphorecent piece to recreate the glow of their eyes. Otc could have hold a similar red piece to simulate the glow of the lights of the headset (which is a wedge that enters a cavity).

The way the legs of otc Lobot are disposed is similar to tvc Ackbar (except for the knee joints of course), this could be one recomendable way to mold the new Lobot, and with the struggle for the ultimate paintjob, giving the soles a different gray shade from the shoes.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 02:39 PM »
The Dup is long overdue for an update.

Look for an update probably around the same time that Chinese Democracy is released.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Oh, ok! Or... ok....

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 02:50 PM »
Lobot, oh my... another favourite of mine back then. And the OTC version is equally great. I agree with Jesse, weirdest yet most awesome set of accessories! Oh, and I just love OTC's pants, man. I'll bet their velvet too!

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 04:05 PM »
I liked Lobot as a kid to.  I got the OTC one as well.  I hope they don't release again though because he is the definition of pegwarmer.  He rotted on the pegs everywhere I went.  People whined about Yarna well this guy had her beat.  Again though I'm a sucker for the vinty cardbacks.  So, if they make him I'll buy him but I'm hoping they don't.  I'd rather see a lot of other figures on those cardbacks before good ol Lobot.