Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 7  (Read 118537 times)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 7
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2011, 04:53 PM »
I've been hitting at least two targets a day for the last week or two... I've had no luck at all here in Denver.
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #256 on: July 11, 2011, 02:27 AM »
I found the wave at one Target here...  I can't hit Target every day, but walked in on a very fresh case at one that's out of the way for me.  I haven't seen jack at my nearest 2 stores though, unfortunately.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2011, 08:55 AM »
Managed to pick up an opener Han, very nicely done and one of the better ball jointed hips out there.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #258 on: July 17, 2011, 09:16 AM »
Saw these at a Target in OKC last night, they had four of the six.  Commander Frodo and the RFT were gone.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 17, 2011, 09:19 AM »
Opened up all the OT figures from this wave. Love them all. Despite the price increase, I'm very happy with the quality we're getting as of late.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: July 17, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Oh yeah, the figures are outstanding.  I just wish I could find some more than once every 2.5 months at retail.  Even at the higher prices.  This wave in particular would be nice to get.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2011, 02:32 AM »
I think since 2007 we've been getting pretty outstanding stuff myself...  I don't honestly look at the Vintage Collection being superior to Build-A-Droid, or even 30AC in most cases.  Hell, 30AC was such a collector-whore year that I'll forever favor it more...

Even Legends was aimed at collectors with a laser sight.  A couple figures snuck out with less than stellar articulation (Academy Biggs, the dude with the drum-half), but at the end of that year I didn't think it could get better, and I don't think it really has.  Prices just went up and paint applications got worse...  Articulation is a more standard now, but still, there have been drawbacks I think.  Not to say I'm disappointed with the figures of course...  It's tough to get Hasbro bad marks in a review anymore.  I just think things have been maybe "more fun" to me I guess. 

The cards are the nicest ever though...  but I can't say I care enough about the packaging that I'd mind at all if they went to an ugly card, but the price somehow dropped by a buck or something.  I'll take ugly packaging in that case. ;D  Undecoed cardboard and heat-sealed baggies stapled to it would probably work for me even.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2011, 04:34 AM »
I think since 2007 we've been getting pretty outstanding stuff myself...  I don't honestly look at the Vintage Collection being superior to Build-A-Droid, or even 30AC in most cases.  Hell, 30AC was such a collector-whore year that I'll forever favor it more...

Whenever I look at the realistic Hasbro Star Wars line, I think TVC is the uppermost tier of quality we've gotten thus far. TLC/LC cut it close, but nearly all of the figures we're getting in TVC these days are flawless. I personally think that Fordo is perhaps the best action figure sculpt we've ever gotten! And figures are starting to include tons more of accessories.

Then again, maybe Hasbro realized that with the crazy prices we're paying, it's time they upped the game a little.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2011, 01:20 PM »
I don't know about that...  Paint aps are weak, there's small cutbacks like Han's leg strap, or the Fleet Trooper's holster...  Flawless?

BAD was absolutely the same way.  Same articulation count, sculpting I think 99% would agree was just as good, paiint aps between then and now are pretty spot-on with one another, and in some cases I'd argue the BAD were a tad better.  Plus the pack-in was obviously superior to, well, nothing.

2007 was a year so focused on collectors in every way, it's not even funny...  30AC had some figures that were inferior to Vintage, but I'd say the vast majority were as good or even better because paint aps at that time were better and the sculpting was just as good.

It's a matter of opinion, but I'd like to see something clear that says, "This is way better than what we were getting!" from then.

You may hold up the Gammorrean Guard, but I'll hold up Hermi Odle, or basically any of the McQuarrie figures, and say that 2007 was dishing out stuff as good as, if not better.

Much less getting into the fact the price was significantly better...

I think the nostalgia of the packaging has swayed a lot of folks, more than the toys themselves.  Not saying that the VC stuff is bad at all, as it's been pretty good with only minor flaws, but the line's been that way for a while now.  It started in later 2004/2005, and it's really plateaued.  Ball-jointed hips and wrists are cool, but I don't count them as such a significant upgrade to any figure that the entire line is now grossly superior to what we got in the recent past...  plus, things cost more, cool accessories aren't as plentiful, 2-packs are gone, paint aps are down, running changes are out...  I'm just saying there's a lot of things gone that made past figures truly great, and TVC hasn't countered any of that at all IMO.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 24, 2011, 05:44 AM »
I think the nostalgia of the packaging has swayed a lot of folks, more than the toys themselves. 

That's absolutely true. If this were any other line besides TVC, it probably would have been canceled and rebooted a long time ago because of poor sales due to distribution problems.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 24, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I think the nostalgia of the packaging has swayed a lot of folks, more than the toys themselves. 

That's absolutely true. If this were any other line besides TVC, it probably would have been canceled and rebooted a long time ago because of poor sales due to distribution problems.

Yeah...I was honestly all set to quit collecting packaged figures.  I went down to just loose on Deluxe, CW, most Exclusives, ships, etc.  But those vintage cards are just too pretty, so I'm sitting at 2x or more of each.  Whoever decided to return to vintage packaging needs a big fat bonus, Hasbro.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Wave 7
« Reply #266 on: July 29, 2011, 02:13 PM »
Has anyone seen any Wave 7 at a wal mart yet?

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Vintage Wave 7
« Reply #267 on: July 29, 2011, 05:18 PM »
Has anyone seen any Wave 7 at a wal mart yet?

Nope.  I compiled a set of loose and carded Wave 7 figures with numerous trips to Target and Toys 'R' Us.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2011, 02:14 AM »
WM around me was the haven of Vintage till just about now...  With their Wave 6 shipments, they've filled up on ROTS Clones and are now pretty stagnant on new stuff.  Getting ROTS Clones off the pegs and out of the system would do a lot to get WM back into the game.  Even leaving Sandtrooper figures, Wave 1 dingleberries, and Obi-Wans of all flavors would still be ok.  Just the ROTS Clone is enough of a back-up to keep new from getting to WM now.

They've gotten in 3, 4, 5, and 6 in quantity, and all those ROTS Clone carry-overs in those waves really added up.  It's only stagnated in July though, to where they're really not getting nearly as much in, as steadily.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2011, 08:12 AM »
I stopped off at a WM in Little Rock yesterday after a family trip to a waterpark. No wave 7 even a state away, just alot of wave 5 and 6 hanging there.