Author Topic: Vintage Collection Wave 13 (2012 Wave 4.1)  (Read 70788 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2012 "Vintage" Collection Wave 13
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 04:39 PM »
Other than the obvious cash grab, Hasbro needs to relook at the clone in every wave deal they have going, especially with most of them hanging on the pegs right next to the Vintage figs.  Who in their right mind is going to pay $2-$3 more for the same figure...I get the cost savings, but I'd rather them rerelease 2003-2007 stuff (Han, Chewbacca, Snowtrooper, IG-88 etc) than Prequel Clones and Commanders.  Same concept only more towards the true spirit of "vintage" and $2-$3 cheaper than what we paid back then :P.  Heck, extend that to good POTJ-Legacy figures that haven't been on vintage cards before recarding more clones:

Amanaman
FX-7
Paploo/Romba/Warok/Chief Chirpa
AT-ST Driver
Luke Skywalker (Stormtrooper)
Zuckuss
Bespin Guard
B-Wing Pilot
A-Wing Pilot
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 04:43 PM by Scott »

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2011, 04:52 PM »
^^^^^WORD!!!^^^^^^
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Who is Nom Anor ???

An excellent EU character. If you hate EU then you won't care, but I don't hate EU and loved his character.

I don't hate EU, I just don't bother following it much at all.  I do think it can be a pretty dicey proposition for a Hasbro toy release though (yes, even moreso than a Willrow Hood type of release) simply because I think a lot of fans are out there like me that don't have a clue or follow EU at all.  I readily acknowledge there are a lot of hardcore and dedicated EU fans but I think they'd be a subset of what Hasbro views as collectors and we all know how much they aim their stuff at collectors.  So I see it as a subset of a subset and that second subset gets some love, but not as much as the kiddos. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2011, 05:23 PM »
Who is Nom Anor ???

Goddamnit Brent.   ::)

Nom Anor was a male Yuuzhan Vong who played a crucial role in the Yuuzhan Vong War and was marked by his ambition, sense of self-preservation, doubt in the Yuuzhan Vong's gods, and skill in many fields. A member of the intendant caste, Anor was one of the leaders among the Yuuzhan Vong in the galaxy prior to the species' invasion. Anor helped prolong the Galactic Civil War, and weakened potential foes to the Yuuzhan Vong. In 25 ABY, the Yuuzhan Vong War began as the Yuuzhan Vong invaded the galaxy, with the Praetorite Vong leading the way. Anor assisted the Praetorite Vong, though the organization was defeated.

The main fleet then entered the galaxy, cutting a bloody swathe towards the Core. Anor helped in many operations, such as plotting with the Priest Harrar to eliminate Jedi, and sabotaging New Republic efforts to restore the planet Duro. Anor dealt frequently with Warmaster Tsavong Lah, a rival of his. A skilled spy, diplomat, and firebrand, Anor stirred up unrest throughout the galaxy, weakening the New Republic. Two years into the war, the Yuuzhan Vong captured the capital of Coruscant. Anor began dealing directly with Supreme Overlord Shimrra, providing intelligence that allowed the Yuuzhan Vong to attack the New Republic at Ebaq 9. However, it was a trap, and the Yuuzhan Vong forces were defeated, causing Shimrra to call for Anor's head.

Anor fled into the underbelly of Coruscant, where he became involved with the Jeedai heresy, a dissident sect of Yuuzhan Vong who cursed Shimrra and saw the Jedi as their saviors. Seeking a way to gain power, the ambitious Anor unified the heretics. Taking the identity of Yu'shaa, a self-proclaimed prophet, he became the leader of a powerful, rapidly-growing movement. However, when given the chance, he turned his back on the heresy to rejoin Shimrra's court in a higher rank. He began to rue the movement he had strengthened, as the heresy had gained a life of its own. In the final days of the war, Anor began to doubt Shimrra, seeing him as insane. The war came to a close in the Second Battle of Coruscant. Taking up the mantle of Yu'shaa once more, Anor attempted to lead the heretics to victory. Ultimately, he was captured by the Jedi, while the Yuuzhan Vong surrendered after the death of Shimrra. Realizing that the future held nothing but uncertainty for him, Anor chose to remain on a disintegrating ship as it crashed into Coruscant's surface.

Every person who calls themselves a Star Wars fan should know this.  Jesus.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2011, 06:33 PM »
Nom Anor, broke my heart, now I'm aching for you!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Keep bringing on those OT characters. Hoping that "Barada" character stays true.

I keep forgetting that the figures so far have been solid rumors, so I'm still waiting for a real surprise of too.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2011, 01:07 AM »
Vinty carded Luke AND Han Stormtroopers side-by-side would be pretty slick I think. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2011, 08:38 AM »
Who is Nom Anor ???

An excellent EU character. If you hate EU then you won't care, but I don't hate EU and loved his character.

I don't hate EU, I just don't bother following it much at all.  I do think it can be a pretty dicey proposition for a Hasbro toy release though (yes, even moreso than a Willrow Hood type of release) simply because I think a lot of fans are out there like me that don't have a clue or follow EU at all.  I readily acknowledge there are a lot of hardcore and dedicated EU fans but I think they'd be a subset of what Hasbro views as collectors and we all know how much they aim their stuff at collectors.  So I see it as a subset of a subset and that second subset gets some love, but not as much as the kiddos.  

I agree that Hasbro would lose big if they did this a lot. But how often do we get an acutal EU fig? Using the definition that CW isn't EU and especially OT isn't EU. So every once in a while isn't gonna kill anyone. I just think some of the outrage that people have is humerous. I have to poke a little jab in at them. Let me have my figure and then I'll wait a while for the next one to come.

I love a great upgrade to Han or Luke, but I also like to add a new character to the collection here and there
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 08:42 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2011, 12:02 PM »
I'll be real curious to see how popular Nom Anor is.  I have no idea who he is either, and no interest in him as a result.  I think Hasbro should use the opportunity they have here and really fill in some of those blanks lifers are looking for - Luke/Han Troopers, Tarkin, Slave Leia, etc. - before the line goes away.  That too me is more exciting that Clone #1000 or General Lando really. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2011, 01:54 PM »
General lack of broad interest in Nom Anor = Excellent argument in support of shortpacking figures.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2011, 05:11 PM »
I would not be surprised if a Nom Anor figure is more popular than the following vintage offerings:

4-LOM
Dengar
ROTS White Clone
Utapau Clone
Super Battle Droid
Stormtrooper
General Lando
Commander Gree

The clones and Stormies would probably be fine if not for the ridiculous helmets, so that's not so much a character selection issue as it is terrible quality by Hasbro.  I'd add the Yavin Han to the list, but something tells me he might sell okay despite the horrible head.

And I have no problem with wanting characters like Tarkin, Death Star Trooper, etc. made first, but I'd rather see a new figure like Nom Anor in the line than repacks like 4-LOM and Gree, or even bad attempts at upgrades like those Phase 2 clones... that's the problem with vintage, not a character selection like Nom Anor.  I wouldn't be surprised at all in a few years if he has high secondary market value like some of the other notable EU figures.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2011, 06:45 PM »
I'm not into the EU stuff at all, but I did read a bunch of those books back in high school and college.  The NJO series was the last thing I read, so I suppose for that reason, I wouldn't mind Nom Anor too much.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2011, 10:26 PM »
I'm not into the EU stuff at all, but I did read a bunch of those books back in high school and college.  The NJO series was the last thing I read, so I suppose for that reason, I wouldn't mind Nom Anor too much.

High school and college?  I was living in Alaska when these came out and been in the Air Force for 7 years already!  Damn I feel old.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 12:06 AM »

High school and college?  I was living in Alaska when these came out and been in the Air Force for 7 years already!  Damn I feel old.   :D

I started wondering if that might be wrong so I looked it up.  Looks like the series started in 1999, which was the year I graduated high-school.  So yeah, basically I read that series while I was in college. 

You're not alone though, thinking about how long ago that was has me feeling old too.   :P

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2011, 12:14 AM »
Feel better now?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.