Author Topic: 2012 - "One EU Figure In Every Wave"  (Read 14484 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2012 - "One EU Figure In Every Wave"
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2011, 03:06 AM »
I'm ok with the photos if it makes sense.  Is Nom Anor anywhere but an artists representation of him?  And as video games age, some of the images would look pretty bad I think.  Knights of the Old Republic is neat, but graphically it looks a little dated (by today's standards).  I mean, imagine if we got a Dark Forces Kyle Katarn and pixelated Kyle from his cutscene was there ya know?  Some pretty lame images could creep in, haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2011, 08:33 AM »
The Force Unleashed 2 will probably fill up some slots. I had forgotten they'd said those were coming in 2012.

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2011, 10:24 PM »
there is only one EU I would want on vintage card that is Mara Jade.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Give me some purple rain with Dash Rendar and Guri! (I would love Snoova too!)
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline Corman

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gimmie that New Figure Mojo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I would weep openly for a Kiro and a Dani on Vintage cards.

Corman
There is nothing to read all the way down here.  If I had something else to say, I'd a said it in my post.  You may proceed to the next post.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Leebo, Guri, and Nomi Sunrider would be nice.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 2, 2011, 10:21 PM »
Hmm. We have not had a good ANH Leia since 2004 and now they want to limit slots for her and others to get back on the shelf?

Offline 501ST

• Jedi Initiate
  • Deus Ex Machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 4, 2011, 01:11 AM »
Don't hate the EU being in figure lines,even TVC if it keeps the line going.

But either way I won't be seeing them around. ;)
« Last Edit: March 4, 2011, 09:46 PM by 501ST »
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it.

Bob Hope

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 4, 2011, 08:19 AM »
Though, I'm not into the era its set in, The Old Republic cinematic trailers have potential for great figures, like the Sith guys, the female mandalorian, Alderaan troopers.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 4, 2011, 02:38 PM »
I'm with Nick - this is fantastic news for those of us that follow the EU.  I read almost all of it, so would be happy with core figures from across pretty much any of the storylines.  I like the approach as well, rather than launching a seperate EU wave of figures all at once.  Just having one per wave isn't that much give for non-EU fans, but a nice way to treat those of us that are with each wave.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: March 4, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I like the approach as well, rather than launching a seperate EU wave of figures all at once.  

I get why they are going the 1-per-wave route, but I guess I prefer box sets or a whole wave for things like EU figures.  It really bugs me when they hit EU sources with a couple figures and then that's it.  

Like the Thrawn stuff for example.  We got Kardde, Mara, and Thrawn, but where's Pellaeon, C'Baoth, Nohgri, etc?  Or like the KOTOR game stuff - we got a couple in 2007, had to assemble a couple in 2008/9, and are getting 1 more in 2011.  Who knows how long it will take to get Carth, Mission, or the rest?  Or SotE - we get a great new Xizor and cankles Leia and then nothing on Dash, Guri, Leebo, etc.  Lame.

The same thing bugs me about comic book figure lines - I hate it when you get 1-2 figures at a time per wave and then the line dies and you're stuck with 75% of a team with glaring omissions because they were saving "big guns" in case the line was going to keep rolling.   ::)

The TFU line in 2008 was great.  We got a whole bunch of stuff at once and they left a little room for more (like the extra TRU box sets that came later).  Imagine if we just got Starkiller and Maris and had to wait a year for Juno, and then another two years for Kota, and another year for Proxy, etc.  By the time we got to Proxy, the style/look of the figures might not even the the same anymore.  Blah.

I'm all for instant team gratification!  I want one big box with 5-7 figures at once - like a Star by Star box set with Jacen, Jaina, Anakin, Tenel, Lowbacca, Tahiri, and Ganner!  I hate having just Jacen and Jaina and none of the other young Jedi from NJO (especially not having Solo kid #3). :(
« Last Edit: March 4, 2011, 03:24 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 4, 2011, 06:23 PM »
I see your point, except you still probably wouldn't get ALL the figures from a storyline.   A five figure set wouldn't really cover it.  You could argue the same thing with current releases - the ROTJ wave hardly covers all the core figs you would want from the movie or even a particular scene.  Yes, those of us that have been around long enough have those characters in an older form, but some of those key figures are several years old now. 

The other thing about EU is that the fans are loyal to many different storylines.  Some people like the NJO, while others want Marvel or KOTOR or Legacy.  Just targeting one of these might appeal to too small of a fan base, whereas a single figure here or there might be more appealing.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: March 5, 2011, 02:15 AM »
I agree with Jeff and think I even talked with him about this at one point...  I'd rather have more than a couple.

At the same time, I'd rather have a couple rather than none though. 

But I liked the boxed set idea to get EU out in a wider swath, getting more of the core figures from a specific story or source.  You may not get all, but you'd get a lot more than what we generally do see from any given storyline...  the Solo twins are a prime example, as is KOTOR to a fair degree.

I'm not a massive EU fanatic, but I do like getting sets of stuff as opposed to a trickle that may never see another figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 5, 2011, 01:28 PM »
History of EU waves is one of peg warmers (Shadows of the Empire 1996) and often hard-to-find short runs (POTF's EU wave, Darth Revan and Malek, the final Legacy wave).

In terms of not making all the key characters of a story. That definately was a flaw in the comic packs. That's why remaking Xizor was not a great choice. He got a figure, two...technically, though by current standard, the asthetics might be lacking. But wouldn't it have been better to make a previously unmade character from Shadows of the Empire? (And were many requesting that Leia, the comic packs were Leia heavy at times...)

It bugged me  (back in 1996) that Xizor had no henchmen made. Big shot crime lord, apparently, no one to do his bidding. One reason I never warmed up to his character. Heck, Jabba is just a slug without his goons.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 5, 2011, 11:22 PM »
This is a new hobby for me, that I started back in the fall. I first had collected back in the 70 and 80's. I am amazed how good the figures are now compared to then. My experience with EU goes as far as reading Shadows back in the 90's. Just wish I didn't have to go second market or wait to get the good OT stuff, like Leiain ANH etc. But hey what can I do but complain.