Author Topic: Death Star, Sail Barge & Sandcrawler Wishful Updates  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Death Star, Sail Barge & Sandcrawler Wishful Updates
« on: February 10, 2011, 01:02 AM »
And it's not the Death Star...  ;)  

Darryl DePriest said in the Forcecast that three items he'd love to see get the major update are the Sailbarge Death Star and the Sandcrawler.  He said a theatrical re-release are the best hope for anything getting done, and that *drum roll* they have that...  A Death Star then, come the re-release of A New Hope to 3D theaters?

Hmmm...  Interesting.

The Sandcrawler, DD said basically doesn't stand much chance of getting redone.  Sorry to those who were hopeful on that then.  Also said that the Barge wouldn't likely happen till Episode 6 is out in the theaters again, even then he's doubtful it will get done as well.

But, playset fans rejoice.  As with any film release, you have a chance now of getting what you want.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:04 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
Re: Death Star, Sail Barge & Sandcrawler Wishful Updates
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 09:25 AM »
Wait! Oh, my God!

You mean - Stan got something completely wrong? 

...Again?

::)
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Wait! Oh, my God!

You mean - Stan got something completely wrong? 

...Again?

::)

You misunderstand, he is just "reporting" from a certain point of view......
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 02:09 PM »
After so many years of wishful thinking on the playset front, at least this looks like a small light at the end of the tunnel.  However, given Hasbro's track record on playsets and the high expectations that I have on what makes a good playset, I'm not sure they'd make something that I'd be impressed with.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 04:31 PM »
I kind of actually figured if there was any hope, it was the re-releases of the movies...  They've kind of always said this, actually, for years now.  It takes a movie release for the hopes of a playset to rise...

6 movie releases means 6 possible big items people want I figure.  The Death Star was the only playset mentioned.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Keonobi

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 04:56 PM »
What six bigger items/possible playset might those be?  (going with the theme of wishful thinking...)

Ep1: ?
Ep2: ? (Could they shoe-horn the Sandcrawler in here?)
Ep3: ? (Tantive IV?)
Ep4: Death Star
Ep5: ?
Ep6: Sail Barge
I am not the Stig

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 05:15 PM »
Ep1: Bongo Sub
Ep2: Outlanders nightcub
Ep3: Tantive IV
Ep5: Star Destroyer Bridge
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I'd say more realistically, you need to balance new and existing tooling...

Ep1: Naboo Royal Starship
Ep2: AT-TE
Ep3: Turbo Tank
Ep5: AT-AT

My own personal wet dream playset is a larger Carbon Freeze Chamber with working lights...complete with Vader/Luke battle areas

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 08:28 PM »
Derryl really know how to get those wheels spinning, huh?

He and Hasbro appear to be relishing the opportunity to cash in on the theatrical 3d releases of the entire Saga.  Does that mean a movie themed big-ticket item related to EVERY movie?  I'm not so sure.  It's really going to depend on just how much hype the Saga in 3-D is going to generate.

So will Hasbro take the plunge on re-offering the Naboo Royal Starship next year?  Personally, I don't see it happening.  I could see them taking a chance on a deluxe vehicle line re-imagining of the Sith Infiltrator because of the tie-in with Darth Maul.  And taking into consideration recent events on Clone Wars this may be a possibility.  And when you also look at how so many collectors were extremely disappointed with the Sith Infiltrator that came out in the 30AC line, maybe Hasbro will want to make this one good.

Any 3-D release related offerings from Hasbro will probably follow a marketing plan which resembles what we'll see in 2012 for Episode I.  A Death Star would probably be the ULTIMATE offering Hasbro could make.  But that's 4 years off, and who's to say what will happen between now and then.  
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:34 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 08:30 PM »
I was thinking a retooling of the vintage Star Destroyer playset.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 09:52 PM »
I'd say more realistically, you need to balance new and existing tooling...

Ep1: Naboo Royal Starship
Ep2: AT-TE
Ep3: Turbo Tank
Ep5: AT-AT

I like this Scott, except I think I'd replace the Turbo Tank...  It did poor once, it'll do poorly again I think.  I'd like to see something new/different in its place, though what that'd be I don't know.  Perhaps a new Gunship?  I'd be in if it's beefed up.

The rest of the list looks about right, especially if paintjobs are beefed up.  I'd rebuy the AT-TE out of the group, and a Death Star I'd have to see to decide.  The same would go for a Barge though my thoughts are it'd maybe fall short of what I'd hope for.  It'd be neat to see though as a set piece too...  I may do away with my palace set up and instead just do a barge set up to display the goons of ROTJ.

Either way, it's interesting stuff...  And like Phruby, I think a retooling of the Vintage concept would be the way to go on a DS Playset rather than a complete reimagining of it.  You can combine Death Stars to make them look like a bigger playset...  I'd be interested to see Hasbro take the same formula and give it the modern treatment.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:13 AM »
The Turbo Tank did poorly?  According to who?

Regarding the Death Star, if they approach anything like the vintage one, I'd be extremely disappointed.  This is the modern era.  We don't need to see them using a mold that's over 30 years old... I'd say that a modular version with a realistic touch is the way to go.   

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:51 AM »
The Turbo Tank did poorly?  According to who?

Actually it's something Hasbro said themselves at one point, either in the scheduled Q&A's or a private one prior to 2010 Toy Fair.  However if you wanted to gauge, I know I recall a lot of talk about TT clearances, even sort of larger price cuts and clearance before December, but I do recall seeing them for $50 at Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart/Sears, and eventually TRU even clearanced some.

Perhaps they simply got retail to buy more AT-TE's and fewer Turbo Tanks though?  There were a number of AT-TE's around when the TT hit retail even, so that maybe impacted it too.  I just recall somewhere Hasbro mentioned not being as happy with the TT's sales, and I think it was in general included with the line's sales slowing down overall.

By the way I don't think anyone said anything about re-using the vintage Death Star mold, but rather retooling it...  For me that means keeping the same concept of the semi-circle tower.  Reimagining the same basic idea that incorporated a lot of the important features of a Death Star, while still keeping that stacked level feel, and you could piece them side-by-side.

Everyone gets it that you think a modular hyper-detailed thing is the way to go though, I think.  However, assuming Hasbro is probably looking at something like that as lacking "play features" or play patterns that they feel are required for something like this, and that it's basically an expensive (though cool looking) display stand, I think it's maybe not quite as realistic since they're wanting some kind of "play" to go along with the set.  Same as hoping for a scaled Sail Barge isn't realistic on my part, so I don't expect a collector-targeted thing as much as something that's going to have bells and whistles for kids, even though I'd want something more like a set-piece.

The Vintage Death Star was a good format though...  It's probably the most beloved playset from the original line.  Updating that idea I think has some merit to it then.  I'd prefer that over the sphere mock-up we've seen, or some other ideas I've heard of.  Obviously I'd love hyper detailed rooms that all interlock in a variety of ways though, but then again I'm not 7 so I can't say I want a chasm with a string, an exploding cannon port, or whatnot.  I've seen someone put Vinty DS playsets side-by-side and do something pretty cool with them though.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 05:25 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:24 AM »
I like Scott's lineup as well, and hopefully we will see something spiffy for each 3D release.  Like it has been mentioned, they still have to be careful/cautious about it though - as I'm sure they don't want a big item hitting clearance instantly each year either.  Plus, how long are the 3D re-releases actually going to stay in theaters?  I remember when the OT SEs came out, and I did go to each of them, but I'm pretty sure the box office numbers fell with each release (with ANH doing by far the most business), and none of them staying in theaters for a particularly long time.  Since they are aiming for another February release, and with all the 3D movies these days, I'm guessing they'll be making way for the summer movies pretty quickly.  Not that I don't want them hanging around for awhile, I hope they do, but it isn't quite the same "movie year" scenario as it was for something like ROTS, where it was basically "the movie" for the entire year of 2005 (and beyond, as toys go).

Of the list, I'm most excited for some sort of Death Star as well.  Although I think many collectors would like to see the hyper-detailed, modular sort of set that CHEWIE mentions, I think a "play" set is more likely as well.  I wouldn't have any problem with them updating and/or following the vintage model for that either.  That was really sort of the holy grail of the vintage line, and something I always wished I would have had as a kid (or even now).  The chance to get an updated version would be pretty sweet.  If Hasbro could strike the same balance they have with the Falcon, AT-AT, AT-TE, etc. I think it could be a nice looking piece, as well as a "fun" toy as well.

As for some of the other ideas, honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing the Royal Starship or Turbo Tank again, simply because I had to pass on them the first time around due to budget.  But, at the same time, I could see them being pretty risky (the starship in particular) as far as the big items go.  The Turbo Tank did hit clearance pretty quickly here as well, and sat more than the other big vehicles have - and we've never seen it again.  The AT-TE and Falcon have both gotten re-releases at TRU over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either (or the AT-AT) again.  Its tough to judge with the big vehicles, as it seems someone always finds them on clearance - and sometimes at crazy clearance prices, while others seem them disappear quickly.  I'd say, at least locally, the AT-AT has by far been the most successful.  The AT-TE did pretty well too, and the Falcon wasn't bad - although I think the starting $150 price held that one back a bit.  I have a feeling sales would have been a lot brisker if it was priced at $100 like the others have been.

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I really want to see the Sailbarge so I hope that we will get it one day but after listening to the Podcast it's hard to tell if it has a chance long term. Sometimes they are serious but then again look at the Cloud Car. I would hate to wait 6 years to get it for the theatrical realease od Jedi. On that note, will the steam be there to drag these 3D rereleases out for 6 years? The 3D craze is already fading. They should step it up to 2 per year.

While a Sandcrawler would be neat I am not too gung ho for that one. The modular Death Star should be easy, the Gundam chain Bases are a great example of how it could be done. I use them as ship hanger/halls for my displays. I will update my collection pics next week to show them, they rock! I would love to get specific SW walls/floors like that!

My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/