Author Topic: Vintage Collection playsets discussion/wishlist  (Read 3138 times)

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
Vintage Collection playsets discussion/wishlist
« on: September 5, 2011, 10:22 AM »
I was thinking about how when Hasbro does a release of a ship in the Vintage style deco that the item usually sells through.  I know I buy them But I'm biased towards that deco. Granted, the Target ships may have hit clearance; I don't really know, but I know they can be quick to clearance anything. That said what are the odds Hasbro could be tempted to release redesigned playsets in Vintage Deco boxes? I think the Jabba Throne set was a missed oppurtunity. I don't think the Lars set was executed properly. With the amount of Cantina Aliens out there now doesn't it make sense to release a new Cantina? Not a rehash of that cardboard thing either. A land of the Jawas set? A freakin' death star? Do you think they plan to re--release any previously released items in that deco? Do you wish they would re-release items in that deco?
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Vintage Collection playsets discussion/wishlist
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2011, 06:09 PM »
Oh dear.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2011, 11:56 PM »
We should ask Hasbro about this in a Q&A sometime.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #3 on: September 7, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Make it modular!!
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 7, 2011, 01:04 PM »
 :D

Chuck, you've opened Pandora's Box.

It feels like the part in Ghost Busters when the containment thing gets shut down.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2011, 01:04 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline darth punkinhed

• Jedi Initiate
  • You did what? With who's cow? For a FF Weequay?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 7, 2011, 03:06 PM »
That's what I got to thinking at first Jesse, but I then I thought about what got me to thinking about this in the first place. I see a toy shelf with the AT-AT, Snowspeeder and Tie Fighter on a shelf all in the vintage deco. Once I add the B wing, Y wing, Landspeeder and Taun Taun the shelf will look like a blast from the past. Somewhere at Hasbro there's a similar shelf in the marketing department or just hanging around somewhere that everytime anyone who grew up with Vintage Star Wars sees it there's a conversation that happens. Based on that I'm betting we'll see the Cloud Car and maybe the slave 1, the X-wing and Vader Tie eventually repacked in the vintage deco. Maybe even the Falcon. It's not too far fetched. But with that much merch in that deco why not go out on a limb and shoot for a playset. The packaging sells product, I know I've passed on various items if I know they exist or are going to exist in the Vintage style deco.

I will appologize and take full responsibility if this discussion does blow up and will promise in the future to not touch upon such delicate subjects.  ;)
The most prized possession of my entire star wars collection is my Sega Trilogy Special Edition Pinball Machine.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: September 7, 2011, 03:43 PM »
Nah, I think a lot of people are feeling the same, the only thing is what takes new tooling and what doesn't...  And then what the new toolings would cost as well, comparatively of course.  I think those are ultimately the keys (weighed against how well it's perceived it'll sell, of course).

Ultimately, like always, a new DS playset is going to have the following against it...

The cost to make it since it's new, the retail space it'll take up, the final price at retail may not be favorable, and so on and so forth.

I think it's more likely to see something we already got, repackaged, than to see something we don't have like a Cantina or Death Star...  The smaller the item the smaller the risk, plus the Taun-Taun is getting double duty even as a new mold.  Snowspeeder will get redecoed...  Cloud Car, I totally can see it appearing in a vinty box since it's "done" already.  Being already set to get boxed up and re-released seems to be a big key on getting a vintage package at this point.  I totally could see Slave-I in a larger box than the original was.