Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 9  (Read 90041 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 9 (or is it 10 now?)
« Reply #30 on: July 6, 2011, 05:14 PM »
They went the extra mile on Ponda's accessories. But skimped a bit on the Rebel's gear. No biggie, though.

Never knew or realized Ponda's hooved hands had fingers. He'll be a good figure to buy for his extra hands, if you have some figures missing hands...ha...

Ponda's shoulders are uneven looking due to the swappable feature. Not horribly so to me, though.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2011, 12:05 AM by scockery »

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #31 on: July 6, 2011, 06:04 PM »
Anybody ever see what Adywan did with the dismemberment scene?  Kind of interesting. 

That it was Walrusman's arm never made sense to me when it was the doc who pulled out the blaster.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 6, 2011, 06:58 PM »
I hope those boba fett stickers are easy to remove

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 6, 2011, 08:18 PM »
I hope those boba fett stickers are easy to remove

Yeah really.  I hate the damn stickers. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 6, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Those both look really nice, looking forward to the rest of the year.  Hopefully we'll get a preview at SDCC how this will continue in 2012.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: July 6, 2011, 11:36 PM »
These are the kind of figures that make me do some mental toy wanking.

The Echo Base Trooper is so long overdue and wraps up (neatly) the Vintage figure...  I love it.  I'm bummed the hat isn't removable given how many sculpts of the hat they have not, but I'll live on that.  I'll do some head swaps and remvoable hats on my own at some point.

Ponda...  What can you say?  He falls in the "above and beyond".  At $9 a pop I kind of expect that level of quality but not every figure gets it.  The Fleet Trooper did (more or less), Gammie Guard, Capt. Fordo...  But Ponda is right there with them in that category.

I don't look at the line as really feeling like it's been a value since it went up to $9, and certainly not a value at all at $10...  But these figures at least come really close to making the sting of the price a little less.  I'd still take a decrease in a heartbeat, but Ponda Baba is all kinds of awesomeness.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 7, 2011, 08:44 AM »
These are the kind of figures that make me do some mental toy wanking.

You've just ruined the hobby for me forever.  :-X

Seriously though, I hope to see these one day. The way things are going, I'm not sure the line will be around.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 7, 2011, 12:21 PM »
I guess I am getting my waves confused. Wasn't Evazan to come out before Walrusman?

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 7, 2011, 01:26 PM »
This evolution of the Rebel Soldier Deck Officer must anticipate a new depiction of the vests, a more detailed job on them as they include squares, badges, the collar of the cloth coiled. Indeed Luke from Hoth would need another depiction of his beige vest, but this indicate Hasbro has marked a new concept on their tendency for clothes depiction. The gloves and their bracelets are more marked, another layer in relief that rises over the shirt layer (at arms level)

Offline jono

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 8, 2011, 05:02 AM »
I wonder what the reason for bumping this wave forward is -could be production of course -but could also be because they are going to be offering Walrus man on his true vintage card as a con exclusive.

Also two new figures in the wave highly unlikely! -i expect con reveals of Maul and Binks to bulk out this wave, along with Bastilla.

One more thing- i remember a podcast with De Priest were he refered to Ponda and Evazan and said something like "Y'know those two should really be together in the same wave"  -given that we had changes and delays to wave 9 i'm thinking Ponda's partener in crime could be joining him at the bar sooner than expected.

Also i knowi don't post very much but i live in england... we don't see many vintage figures. :)
« Last Edit: July 8, 2011, 05:04 AM by jono »

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 04:01 AM »
Dang, I wasn't even planning to pick up Walrus Face, but after seeing the whole deal I just might skimp on this figure... I couldn't help but notice, though, that the 2-piece right arm looks slightly long... no doubt a result from the removable arm feature.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 02:31 AM »
Anybody ever see what Adywan did with the dismemberment scene?  Kind of interesting. 

That it was Walrusman's arm never made sense to me when it was the doc who pulled out the blaster.

In all the hooplah I missed your post, but that's pretty cool Matt.  I'm kind of in the mindset that the confusion with the scene implied that they both at least could have pulled a gun, but Evazan's is just more clear.

I like the flipper hand replacement myself...  I'd dig seeing that, but now that Walrusman is Spiderman (In Lucas' f'd up thought-process that I guess Ponda Baba didn't look good in the original movie) I guess the flipper hand isn't likely.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 10:14 PM »
Going by the Po Nudo figure, prequel Aqualish have completely different hands than either set Ponda has, two big fingers and a thumb.

Offline snakeeyes0217

• Youngling
  • Jedi Ninja
    • View Profile
    • Insidious Customs - Action Figure Art
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2011, 10:21 AM »

I always thought the furry hand was okay as it mimicked the fur below his tusks on his face. But isn't the other version of his hand supposed to be some kind of aquatic flipper? I'm actually kind of torn how to display him now.
Check out my custom action figures! http://www.insidiouscustoms.blogspot.com

Offline JACKOFTRADZE

• Jedi Knight
  • The Battle Rages On!!!
    • View Profile
    • JCKOFTRADZE Customs
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28 PM »
Time to lay down some nerdiness to clear the confuson. There are three different species of Aqualish the Quara, Ualaq and Aquala. Ponda is a Quara, Aquala's have the flipper hands. The prequel more spider thingy "Ualaqs" are genetic mutations and the Quara are as well. Both of those offshoots make only 10% of the Aqualish population. The flipper hand Aqualish are the most prominent of the species.

Duh!
My Customs & Collection Blog:
http://jackoftradze.blogspot.com/