Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 9  (Read 90049 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 9
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2011, 10:24 AM »
On that Sandtrooper, the issue for me with that figure was kind of similar to the pegwarming clone... quality control let me down.  Look at the belt on most of those figures... the sculpting on it is very poor.  The plastic looks like it's actually been chewed on.  There was also some yellowing on quite a few of those figures as well... I would have bought 20+ of that figure if it was a pristine white and didn't have the belt issue.  Instead, I only bought 3 of them, and that was by being extremely picky because I was so aggravated by the quality.  I actually bought more of the Target Imperial 3-pk than that because the Stormtrooper in that set (same mold) has a better belt and doesn't suffer from any yellowing. 

So, in my opinion the problem with the ROTS Clone and the Sandtrooper was just as much to do with subpar quality as it was over production.  If the quality of the figures matched the price we're expected to pay, I doubt either of these figures would have caused such a backlog in TVC... while some people might have only bought a handful of the ROTS Clone and Sandtrooper if they were "done right" - there are a lot of people like JACKOFTRADZE and myself who invest heavily in large armies.  I would have bought 30+ of the Clone if it was the VC 45 mold with a good helmet.  But instead - I bought a grand total of ZERO. 

Like I've said before, Hasbro is 100% to blame for their problems.  Retailers didn't cause the problems and collectors sure as hell didn't either.  The banked that their market was full of idiots who will buy ANYTHING on vintage cards, and slacked on some quality.  Well for $10 range, they have to do better.  When they actually do put the effort in to earn that $10 per figure, they get our money.  When they half-ass it like they did with that Clone and Sandtrooper, they damage the hobby and themselves.  In my opinion some people there really should be held accountable for this - at my work, whoever was responsible would be looking for another job.

I hope that SDCC answers how they are resolving this, but at this point, I don't have much faith in them.  They continue to make too many bone-headed decisions to really put much faith in them these days... for every great move, they seem follow it up with something stupid.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I have no problem with having consistent Obi-Wans, he does not peg warm.

I guess it all depends on geo - here in New Jersey, I typically hit two different Targets, three WalMarts and two TRUs. In all of those stores, I can walk in no problem right now and pick up either CW Season 3 Obi-Wan, the Vintage re-release of the AOTC Obi-Wan or the Saga Legends ROTS Obi-Wan.

And it's not like it's just one here or there, it's at all seven of those stores. All of them. And of those seven stores, three of them have all three figures in multiples and the remaining four have a mix of two of them - the most common being the CW Season 3 Obi-Wan and the Saga Legends Obi-Wan.

So from my certain point of view - he most definitely is a peg warmer and the market is definitely saturated with the character at the moment.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2011, 02:06 PM »
It's tough to compare other army builders to the ROTS Clone though...  How many cases has he reshipped in now?  Wave 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...  How many VC figures have shipped like that?  How many previous army builders shipped like that?

I get why Hasbro wanted to include him, but he was A) barely in the movies really (the only ones I can even think of were the gunners on the ship in the beginning, I think), and B) he's got his Legends comrade right beside him for less money and more ****.

I just think he was a poor choice of figure, but Hasbro wanted a plain vanilla clone on the ROTS card.  One wave, maybe 1 reship, but no more.  I don't believe at all that the yellow helmet hurt him, or side-by-side inspections, or whatnot. 

I see the AOTC Clone out of Wave 4, more than any other figure from that wave.  That doesn't mean it's a ****** figure, it just means the rest are just doing a little better and we've had AOTC Clones steady since 2007.  It's a good figure and Hasbro should just moderate his release a little, roll him out again in the future, etc.

The orange decoed ROTS clone is the same figure.  We have seen plenty of him in my area, and he's not stagnated even remotely the same as the plain white one.  That's your difference.  Recognizability from the movies, and a lack of direct competition.  The yellow helmet didn't bog him down, the look of the sculpt...  He's sold very steadily.  Likewise, the 501st and 41st Legion troopers on Legends cards never backed up like the plain white ROTS Clone did.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2011, 02:23 PM »
I actually really like THAT clone, the helmet cleans up nice once its out of the package, I bought four and would gladly build a huge army. Too bad theres no clearence or discount to help me. Even I wont buy anymore at full price and have no idea why they insist on packing it in pretty much every case.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #79 on: July 20, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I agree, and think it's a fine sculpt.  It poses well...  I bought a couple of the orange one to clean up, and have them kneeling with some of the my others, and I think the sculpt looks fine myself.

I like the new sculpt too, and plan on picking up troops that use it, but I'll certainly not be abandoning the armies I already built.  They looked great in 2005 and still do today.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline warinthefloor

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 20, 2011, 03:43 PM »
I REALLY love the 212th version
I bout 9 of that one, every oen I ever saw
It could be though, that I wanted a 1212th army SOOOOO bad for so long
I mean i only ever saw one of the original version
never saw the comic pack
I had more Codys than troopers till the VC version hit

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30 PM »
With all due respect, I can't help but disagree on that clone sculpt and am thrilled that Hasbro seems to be abandoning it moving forward... the sculpt alone makes it one of the sloppiest looking figures I've seen Hasbro make in quite some time.  I guess it could be more or less the huge helmet that I hate?  Why Hasbro can't make decent looking ROTS removable helmets is beyond me.  They seem to be figuring this out moving forward by shrinking the heads a bit, but what they've made to this point is just plain ugly. 

From chatter around the web, it seems like the yellowing has also turned off a lot of potential buyers as well - how could it not?  The rest of the figure is white, while the helmet is discolored.  I've even heard parents mention it... my 4-year old has noticed it too and asked me why it was yellow when he saw one at TRU, and I've never mentioned this to him.  He recognized it on his own.

Regarding the AOTC version, different areas have different pegwarmers at times, but the VC #45 clone sells great around the midwest and now the Legends counterpart is mounting up.   I might be able to find a total of 5-6 of the VC # 45 clone on a massive toy run including over a total of close to 20 Wal-Marts, Targets and TRU stores.

The Utapau clone, using the bulky look with that giant helmet is a pegwarmer though (not as bad as the all white one, but mainly because it hasn't shipped in so many assortments)... I could get close to 40 orange chubby clones on the same round trip.  And they're the same ones that have been hanging there for a while... why?  Because the SAGA2 version is a better figure and most of the people who army build this stuff already have the older,  superior figure.  Use the VC #45 mold though with a good helmet and slap on some orange stripes, and it would sell.  Avoiding these problems is extremely simple so what Hasbro tried to get away with here is insulting to people like me. 

Anyways, just so many factors go against the VC ROTS clone MOLD... but I don't think it being all white without some sort of designated markings is what hurt it.  The past version (ROTS #41/Legends/etc) is all white and sold fine.  But then again, that's a better figure too.  Better sculpt, no yellowing.  Cheaper as well.    The orange one, in similar production quantities, I feel would have done even worse.  Hasbro knows this, the white generic look is more in line with generic army building... that's why it's always in Legends. 

Again, I see every single aspect of this as Hasbro's fault.  Sometimes the truth hurts, but it is what it is.  Poor management by the people in charge of this stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: September 4, 2011, 01:11 PM »
Bastilla Shan has surfaced...

Clicky to check it out!

She looks good...  I'm anxious to get something new, but at the same time there hasn't been nearly enough Wave 7.  Not one figure ever sat from that group, and now the next wave and Revenge **** stuff is shipping with it.  Bah.  Wave 7 hopefully sees a steady reshipment like Waves 4, 5, & 6 have.  :-\

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #83 on: September 4, 2011, 01:36 PM »
Definitely looks good.  I hope I get to buy one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 4, 2011, 02:56 PM »
It appears that Tunghori is also selling Ponda Baba and the Echo base trooper.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 4, 2011, 03:09 PM »
Wow! The sculpt is great! - however, I don't care too much for the headsculpt. It may just be me, but it looks like she must have a giant brain because her forehead is just huge, and that strand of hair across her hair makes it seem worse. Still picking her up though.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Matt R.

• Jedi Padawan
  • I got nothing
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 4, 2011, 05:51 PM »
I don't care for her.  I am looking forward to Walrus Man and Echo Trooper

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 5, 2011, 11:09 AM »
Wait, there's a wave 7?  I thought the vintage stuff stopped after the repaint/retool wave?  :P

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #88 on: September 6, 2011, 09:14 AM »
Wow...that is one ugly headsculpt.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 6, 2011, 11:45 AM »
Hasbro, the only company that can make attractive female characters look like monkey-trolls.  Theys ure haven't made much progress since Monkey Face Leia.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today