Author Topic: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 9  (Read 90046 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: 2011 "Vintage" Collection Wave 9
« Reply #210 on: November 7, 2011, 07:22 PM »
I can sort of get the 2-handed pose going BUtP, but it's not perfect...  It can work though.  Also kneeling... again not absolutely perfect but I can get it in a very believable kneeling pose.  I think I snapped a couple pics like that in the review I did of him.

I've not seen Wave 9 since I found it at K-Mart once.  Kind of bummed at that since others are reporting lots of finds at WM.  Not here... yet anyway.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 8, 2011, 04:26 AM »
Nice review on the trooper Jesse, I didn't know you still did them. I was a lurker on JD for  over a  year before I joined, and I used to check in to read your reviews. I was new to collecting the modern stuff and it was a great way to find out what was worth tracking down. Good effort on the two handed pose but not quite what I was after... that pose of the dead trooper is classic though.

I've only managed to get two so far, but I'd like to get quite a few more. I love the colors of his uniform, they seem a dead match for the film.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #212 on: November 8, 2011, 10:45 AM »
I'm really hoping we get a new headsculpt for the RFT at some point (soon). Even the two Hoth rebel headsculpts would be fine. I actually swapped the heads of one of my bearded Hoth rebels with the RFT, and it looks pretty good.

Having the new RFT really makes me want a resculpt of Captain Antilles though. The one we have just doesn't cut it anymore. I'd even like Hasbro to go a step further and give us some more "officer-style" RFTs using the Captain Antilles uniform.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #213 on: November 8, 2011, 12:47 PM »
Antilles resculpt is now high on my ANH list...  It's become probably in my top 10 figure resculpts since a lot of what I've wanted more has happened.  The 2003 Antilles is ok, and at least it's neutral.  It'll never leave my shelf now.

However, a new better articulated one would be ideal, and one with a headsculpt that actually resembles the more mature actor who played Antilles would be nice too, as opposed to some smarmy looking punk! :P

I'd say it also would be nice to see the Rebel Honor Guard put to some use with a new head, and a more "brown" than green deco...  slap the hat on him from the RFT, and it's a nice lower ranked officer...

There's another Rebel Officer uniform on Yavin I'd love to have.  They wear a uni similar to the Honor Guard, but it's more fitted, has less of a utility look to it, and they wear scarfs that match their hat.  There's one standing quite prominently behind Leia at the ceremony.  They seem to be higher ranking, but still under the "Antilles" uniform in rank.  I believe they're the guys holding the medals for Leia to hand out IIRC.

Also there's a "Tech Officer".  He's the guy who does the communication with the fighters attacking the Death Star, and he's actually wearing a uniform similar to the tech, at least in color, but his top is a shirt with collar similar to a Fleet Trooper (except the color, which is the light grey/white-ish).  His pants I can't recall now if they're ever visible.  He seems like he's some kind of higher ranking tech guy though which is kind of neat.

IIRC, the Yavin Honor Guard type guys in the less fitted/baggy suits have some changes though too, to their uniforms.  They've got pockets on their pants and their uniform is just simply a more "function over form" look to it.  The Honor Guard may be a pretty distinct uniform ultimately.  The guys in the baggier uniforms also have an emblem on the hat, I believe.  Something that's never been explained.  Like a black/red/yellow diamond looking emblem I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 8, 2011, 02:47 PM »
I'm always ready to bolster my Rebel ranks a bit more. I did some headswaps a while ago, to have a Reikkan in the Madine-style uniform, and Madine in a Hoth Riekkan style uniform. That definitely made for some cool figures.

One of my biggest wants for the rebellion at this point is an updated Mon Calamari crewman. While they were excellent for their day, they look like burnt **** next to that sweet new Admiral Ackbar. And while we're on the topic of rebel leadership, the rebellion salt shaker Mon Mothma needs a serious upgrade.

We also really need the other varieties of Endor troopers resculpted. The vest version and the full camo fatigues version. I can't even display the POTF2 Endor rebels with a straight face, and I hate the über-preposed SAGA troopers. Even the retool with normal legs leave a lot to be desired. I want full-on accessory crazy Endor troopers...and of course, Pruneface.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #215 on: November 8, 2011, 06:27 PM »
I'd want Riekean in an Antilles/Dodonna type uniform...  I've always grappled with the uniform differences, and felt Madine was a Special forces/Army type guy, but Riekean is a "regular army" type instead, and is wearing the cold weather gear of essentially the officers on Yavin IV.

Not that I'm critiquing your head swaps Lando, just something I was pondering doing myself and that's what I'll probably go with when i eventually get to it.

I'd dig seeing a Dodonna in cold weather too...

Also I REALLY need to do a couple Madine as Imperial swaps too.  Kyle Katarn busts him out of jail in Dark Forces, and I want to do a beaten/prisoner Madine in his IMpy uniform.  Also want to do a clean Madine prior to his exposure as a turncoat.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 8, 2011, 10:19 PM »
Ah! Cold weather Dodonna...yeah, I need to make one of those.

I've always wondered about the differences in rebel uniforms from ANH to ROTJ. I would almost think of the Madine unform as the ground forces, while Dodonna's would be the fleet uniforms. This is really only based on Dodonna being in command of the "fleet" that attacked the Death Star. I always saw General Riekkan as a ground forces commander, so I liked having him in the Madine uniform.

Mainly it's just the whole problem with Lucasfilm not having a military consultant on ROTJ...as we know, there's lots of inconsistencies.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #217 on: November 8, 2011, 11:00 PM »
I would almost think of the Madine unform as the ground forces, while Dodonna's would be the fleet uniforms.

This was a thought I had as well.  Could Madine/Endor Rebels represent what ammounts to the Alliance Army/Army Regulars, and Spec. Forces?  Sort of akin to the NVA in Vietnam, or the Colonial Army the U.S. formed against Great Britain?  They maybe get the better planet-specific gear as well, but require the support of other branches of the military to function.

And then there is the "Marines" or "Fleet"...  They could be in charge of fixed bases/installations, and have groups on ships as crews as well as a protective force.  This would be Fleet Trooper uniforms, Antilles/Dodonna, as well as possibly Luke's uniforms we see...  And they'd work together of course, but the Army would maybe handle large and prolonged engagements, or pushes after landings are handled by Marines (or Fleet Troopers), if possible.

There's a lot of militias too, or at least it seems like that's the case, that the Alliance is having to fold into their overal military.

I've always envisioned the Alliance as not as "rag tag" as people think though,a nd more only in comparison to the size, structure, and seemingly infinite resources of the Empire...  and of course the Alliance having all the various militias involved (heavily) that the Empire would not have involved at all, or sparingly.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 9, 2011, 08:25 AM »
Aren't Rebel Fleet Troopers really Alderaan marines? Just something I have been thinking about.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 9, 2011, 10:18 AM »
I've had that thought about the RFTs as well, but they seem to be considered the overall rebel troops...at least when you get to Yavin, and they're pretty much the standard trooper. Are they Alderaan refugees at that point? Who knows.

There also seems to be culture-specific uniforms, if you look at the Mon Calamari. One thing to consider is that the rebellion had just won it's first victory against the Empire at the beginning of ANH, so they may have had plenty of wrinkles to iron out in their organization as far as a uniform look goes. But we really only see a small part of the rebellion on Yavin (I would assume), so it's hard to determine how well thought out they were.

In the end, I just kind of go with what the various groups were doing. Of course, the command structure may be a bit more versatile than we're thinking. I would assume any General in the Star Wars universe would have to be versed in all aspects of warfare, from space to planetside. I'm just trying to rectify the differences in uniforms, which is actually part of the fun (albeit very nerdy).

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #220 on: November 9, 2011, 11:02 AM »
Found a couple more cases of wave 9 this morning. I think I've bought every RFT I've seen thus far (6-8) and I have about a 6 Walrus Man because he is such a great figure. I hope to be able to do a pretty simple arm swap with him to get a decent  Teak Sidbam from the Holiday Special out of him. The trick will be finding the right arms to use. Anyone have any ideas?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #221 on: November 9, 2011, 03:15 PM »
I've still yet to see Wave 9 outside of K-Mart, haha.  It has hit, but not in great numbers, at a local WM.  I keep checking about once or twice a week at various stores, but at this point I'm not going above/beyond either with massive toy runs with toys as my primary goal of the trip.

On the "Alderaan Troopers" thing, I've never liked that...

Partially because they've always been called "Rebel Troopers" in every source, which implied to me they're part of something greater.  That leaves the door open that they're just another militia, but it seems teh yavin Tech look is right there on board the Mon Cal ships working so it seems odd that they'd have just technicians from Alderaan ya know?

The uniforms are also pretty weak...  Especially compared to the Empire.  I'd think Alderaan would have something a bit more proper, more fitted.  Something like we see in the prequals.  Why from the Prequals to now would Alderaan suddenly have a much cheaper looking uniform ya know?  Of course that's always explained away by the times the two films were made, but to me that's a cop-out and so the differences in the two films lends "fictional credence" to the troopers on Leia's ship and at Yavin being a Rebel uniform...  Cheap, functional, distinct.

And of course all outside sources (EU) have the Fleet Trooper uniform as kind of a standard Rebel one...  to me then the discrepency comes into play in the ROTJ/ANH uniforms, and separting them or merging them.  I find it unlikely the Alliance would want to upgrade uniforms...  Seems an unnecessary expense, but I can see distinct uniforms between branches for sure.  Especially in Star Wars lore where a "Marine" in that world has a pretty different role than a Marine in our world ya know?  Not to say the Alliance "Fleet Trooper"/Marine wouldn't see time on planets doing battle, maybe needing some uniform variety or help.  I've often thought perhaps that they wear the camo ponchos like Leia/Luke do, or trench coats like Han, or a mix...  Those seemed like "cheap outer camo" options to me.

The Alliance Army get the majority of the budget for environmentally specific gear though, in terms of camo at least.  That's a reason i've always sort of viewed the Spec Forces guys/Madine from Endor as quite possibly a separate military branch compared to the "Fleet"/Marines.

Another thing you mentioned Lando...

One thing to consider is that the rebellion had just won it's first victory against the Empire at the beginning of ANH

It won its "first major victory", but not the first victory. ;)  The EU has fleshed out that the Alliance had taken down a Destroyer prior to this, a major coup for them, and a Destroyer that had been causing quite a ruckuss.  Akin to taking down the Bismark at the earlier days of WW2, it's a major victory, and raised the eyebrows of the Emperor, Tarkin, Vader, etc.  They'd been doing other things from other areas for some years though, and one could assume other individual cells or militias had been a thorn in the Empire's side since possibly the very end of the Clone Wars.

Now of course this is EU too, and so "grain of salt" applies.  It's something I've always followed though in my little SW world, that the Alliance had been fighting the good fight.  They just hadn't taken the fight to the Empire as much as they'd been defending themselves against them, doing hit/run attacks, stealing from them, maybe taking some ships via crew mutinees like aboard the Rand Ecliptic.

This veered way off topic, so apologies to everyone who doesn't give a poop. :P  I used to have great chats like this with darthschroeder and CorranHorn on FFURG's chat program...  I miss these talks.  They were a blast.  You'd have had fun with it Lando.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04 AM »
I have yet to come across this wave and I've been looking almost every day since it broke. Did a slightly extended run over the last two days and was disappointed to observe the low quantities of vintage available, period. Most stores have room to put a case or two out, yet everything but vintage is getting replenished.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Stumbled on this wave this morning. Walrusman was already gone when I got there, but the Hoth Rebel and Bastilla were both there, grabbed both - this brings my Echo Base Hoth Rebel count up to six, so I'm definitely good with that figure now. The Bastilla is coming to work with me so I can add her to my little desk display of KotOR figures.  :-\
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Yeah, sorry for derailing the thread with geek(ier) talk, everyone.

I think we'll have to move the military of the rebellion conversation to the OT thread.  ;)