Author Topic: SDCC "Revenge of the Jedi" Death Star Mega-Box Set  (Read 61856 times)

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC "Revenge of the Jedi" Death Star Mega-Box Set
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 01:10 AM »
 I decided there is other stuff out there that I'll spend $130 on.  I like the set myself.  Maybe if I was close to a complete vintage card set I would go for it, but distribution killed any thought of that.  I'll just go for the Indy figures at SDCC instead.  Then pick off these Revenge cardbacks one by one.  Of course I'll likely never have the Crumb and Mouse droid but it's not a big loss anyway. 

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 04:37 PM »
This may be the first year I actually have no interest in waiting in a line to get Hasbro stuff at SDCC.  $130 as a minimum buy seems high... granted, if they did just Crumb and the Mouse for $20/set I wouldn't want that either.  I'll just go buy my Outer Space Men instead.

...a boxed set of vintage ethnic/hair variant Endor Commando figures would've been sweet. Revenge, Return, POTF, trilogo cardbacks with whatever goatees they feel like and differing skin colors, I'd sign up for that.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Seconded on that idea, but I'd take it a step further and demand at least some vests, or the hooded camo coat ala POTF2/Vintage figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2011, 01:17 PM »
According to a report from Rebelscum - sales of this set are now lottery based, so regardless of how long you wait in line or whatnot, in order to purchase one, you have to win the lottery.

Here's hoping that they realize that they grossly under-estimated the production and they decide to produce a second run for sale over on HTS.

If I was actually at SDCC, I'd be pretty pissed.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2011, 01:21 PM »
I mentioned this on the Indy case, but they capped the HTS line last night at around 6 p.m.  :-X
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2011, 01:51 PM »
Hmmm.  A highly sought after convention exclusive, and limited availability?  Sounds like someone might be trying to stir up interest in the line again.

Gentle Giant did this in the past.  They had convention exclusives that were tough to come by.  Limited production runs, etc, etc.  And it was all done in the name of "creating buzz".
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Seems it's true...  curious to see if it expands to other exclusives is all.  :'(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Revenge of the Jedi Set
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2011, 02:32 PM »
that thing can't be cheap to ship (or maybe put online at all). 

I would not hold my breath hoping for the mega-box set to get to HTS.  The mega-box will be strictly limited to the actual show and will even be limited in number (they were still working out the edition size).  Also, klike someone else said, the Salacious Crumb and Mouse Droid mini-carded figures will only be available in the mega-box death star set.

The "Revenge" card figures themselves will be pretty much the same as the usual UGH idea, like the foil cards last year.  The single cards will be mixed into the waves 2-3 at a time - hard to find, but not impossible to find.

So, if you want the cards, you can buy them singly in the Fall.  If you want the mega-deathstar-package-box-set, make sure you get to SDCC early.

Seems like someone used the force to call this one a mile out.  Guess there shouldn't be quite so much shock and surprise.

I just got word from the floor that this is pretty much limited to the SW exclusives right now, for the curious/paniced.

Also Hasbro's giving away Revenge Card proofs this year, for the curious.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 02:34 PM by Jesse James »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2011, 03:07 PM »
That dude working the Hasbro booth looks awfully nonchalant, he ought to be keeping one eye open for flying debris heading his way right about now.

"Pissed" is an understatement, I would be irate to get all the way out there and have them pull some weak crap like this.

Whether unintentional and the result of horrible planning, or intential and just plain manipulative and heartless, this stinks terribly. I really feel for the fans who are going to lose out on this.

They are really banking some love in advance of that Q&A period, should be entertaining.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2011, 03:34 PM »
They are really banking some love in advance of that Q&A period, should be entertaining.

No offense to anyone who runs this site and I'm not implying that it still happens or that the sites are gonna get any of the exclusives, but...

The sites who participate in Q&A are never gonna ask pointed questions of Hasbro. They're never going to ask questions that accurately demonstrate the frustration level of the community. None of the site owners are gonna want to risk pissing off Hasbro and being cut off from Q&A and (if they still do it) getting free samples from Hasbro's PR agency.

Otherwise, there'd be a lot of people looking to video DeRetard taking a kick to crotch and putting it on YouTube right now.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Well, there is really no point to asking about stuff like case assortments or distribution issues in the e-mail Q&As.  A few sites have tried it already this year and ended up with "We appreciate the continued interest in Vintage and new product will continue to ship throughout the year."   No surprise.

The "live" Q&As like the SDCC though, those are harder for them to squirm out since everyone is in the same spot.  I would not be surprised if the Hasbro panel "accidentally" goes the whole 60minutes and does not leave any time for questions this year...  :-X
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 03:58 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Hasbro showed EXACTLY what would happen to sites that got belligerent in the Q&A process:  they got cut off, or they got snarky, non-answer responses.  Treat Hasbro like garbage and they will do the same to your website.  And I can think of one site that tried that kind of hard-nosed approach and got nothing for it.  Other sites adjusted and were able to make something of the Q&A relationship.  And like any relationship there is a lot of give & take. 

-The fan sites need news from Hasbro in order to drive traffic to their sites
-Hasbro uses the fan sites as a free PR outlet
-Hasbro uses the fan sites (forums, in particular) to conduct market research within the collector community and get a general sense of what collectors are interested in
-The fan sites that are part of the Q&A process get credentials for events like Toy Fair, etc

Biting the hand that feeds you may serve your own conscience well in the short term, but in the long term it can be far more damaging.  Long story short, some sites handle the process better than others.  Some avoid the blatantly obvious questions that will be asked by 6 other sites.  Some provide historical context in order to elicit a better response.  And some simply know to avoid certain topics because they're simply non-starters.

And say what you will about Derryl DePriest, but he took the line from the dregs of the 2004 Saga line and built up something VERY GOOD over the past 7 years.  The previous Star Wars brand manager barely had a clue about Star Wars.  Has there been a decline in the brand in recent years?  Absolutely.  People who have been with the modern Star Wars line knew very well that once REVENGE OF THE SITH had it's run that sales of the movie lines were going to decline.  Combine that with how the past couple of years have been rocky due to the economic downturn, and I think those are the overriding factors.  You want to look at distribution issues?  Look more at the way the retailers are ordering.  They're the ones with the highest level of uncertainty right now in the entire chain.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 04:02 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2011, 04:10 PM »
Colman was annoying in a wonderful way at the CIII panel.  You guys should bring him back.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2011, 04:16 PM »
Colman was annoying in a wonderful way at the CIII panel.  You guys should bring him back.   :P

I was surprised to find that I could actually cringe AND laugh at the same time thanks to the aforementioned Mr. Colman at that session.  ;D

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2011, 04:28 PM »
I think getting snarky with Hasbro in the Q&A isn't going to get you cut off...  I don't know of any site that asked pretty beligerent questions to Hasbro that got a pink slip from the Q&A, not off the top of my head anyway, but sites did get non-answers back or short replies that didn't ultimately address what they asked.

They're still getting free stuff to promote, they're still part of the Q&A...

Jeff put it best.  You can bitch at Hasbro about anything you want, but what you get in reply can either be taken for what it is, or you can assume you're getting a non-answer to what you asked, or whatever.  We ask what we think we'll get responses on, generally.  I could bitch to them about playsets, to-scale vehicles, more articulation, lower prices, better distribution, etc., and like Jeff said, you can pretty much write the answer to your own question you just asked and you've gotten nowhere and gained nothing.

It is what it is.  I too won't be shocked if there's no Q&A time at the end of this session either.  They don't really want to hear it and they're not going to say, "Yes, you're all right, we are screw-ups and should let collectors run the line", which is unfortunately what I think a lot of people are looking for at this point.  No fingers pointed anywhere here with that, but I think it's sometimes the truth.

I've been privy to some info recently that puts a lot of the line's items and decisions into perspective...  It answers a lot of the, "Why don't they just make _____" type of questions, from an insider's perspective, and it's not a simple black and white issue unfortunately, on most any subject that's being brought up these days (from specific toys getting the shaft to distribution).  The Q&A's aren't where the answers will come from, as to the things that really anger the collecting community, ultimately.  Most of the sites are pretty frustrated too, and even coordinated the Q&A's to get the most of out the sessions, and it still didn't produce much in terms of the results that collectors were wanting to see in the answers given back.

I think the line at large is in a state of flux too.  I think that's going to hurt the Q&A till it's back to stable.  Just some speculation there, but I think it's possibly true.