Author Topic: SDCC "Revenge of the Jedi" Death Star Mega-Box Set  (Read 62423 times)

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
Re: SDCC "Revenge of the Jedi" Death Star Mega-Box Set
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39 PM »
Hey guys, I have one of these sets to give away here on the site.  Don't pay ebay prices until you get a chance to get one FREE.

How will that work? Definitely interested being that I was broiling on skatepark blacktop teaching kids when these came and went.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:42 PM by Captain Piet »
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45 PM »
Details will emerge in the coming days.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 27, 2011, 12:04 AM »
Hey guys, I have one of these sets to give away here on the site.  Don't pay ebay prices until you get a chance to get one FREE.

Wow, so there is hope!  I looked at Ebay after these sold out and they're going for crazy prices.   :P
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2011, 12:47 AM »
I'm definitely in the camp of folks (with all due respect to Nick) who fail to see how having situations like this do anything to the line except frustrate the ever dwindling community of collectors you have.

I understand YOUR stance, Pete.  Those of us who are in this are the ones who bear the brunt in this particular situation. 

What I'm getting at is this:  there has been a steady loss of the collector base from the Hasbro Star Wars line since 2006.  Some of us have stuck with it, obviously.  But there are others who have moved on for a variety of reasons.  And there are some in the general realm of sci-fi/comic/movie fandom that haven't gotten into Star Wars to the point of collecting Star Wars Hasbro product on a regular basis.  And truth be told, San Diego Comic Con is the single biggest gathering of that potential fanbase IN THE WORLD.  Not everyone at SDCC is a Star Wars fan or collector, but they are part of that population that might get drawn into the fold.  The news of a hot new Star Wars exclusive is meant to draw THEM in too!  And yes, Hasbro runs the risk of alienating some of the existing collector base.  But what if this kind of offering draws in at least an equal number of past collectors, or some of that other segment of the sci-fi/comic/movie fanbase that attends Comic Con?  That potential growth in the customer base that a hot exclusive can generate might be worth testing the loyalty of some of the existing fanbase.  And when you consider that there are some 200,000 people in attendance at SDCC, that potential audience that you might get some traction with is very tempting.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:49 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2011, 01:30 AM »
Does anybody have that old "Hasbrooooooo!" picture some people used to post around here... it had smilin' Mark Hamill and I think a dude from Hogan's Heroes. I feel it would fit in well in this discussion.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Nick - I think we can both agree that what Hasbro has done is a calculated risk.

I tend to look at it pessimistically while you choose the more optimistic view.

Optimistically, sure, there is definitely a chance that they may have piqued the interest of more folks than the number of collectors who have now soured on the line. Back in 2005, I would have told you that was impossible and that surely the number of folks who had soured would far out-pace the number of folks who were not Star Wars collectors and interested in buying a $130 exclusive. But in 2011, you may indeed be correct. For every collector they pissed off, there is someone who may have grabbed the set who might think about getting into the Vintage Collection, which is something that really isn't hard to do at this point, since we're only talking about 50 additional figures beyond what's in the set they just bought.

Like Jman pointed out, the SW collector who buys 2 of everything, one to keep MIB/MOC and one to open is a dying breed, and as I myself sit in my home office looking at SEVEN display cabinets crammed full of opened figures, vehicles, playsets, etc... from the 3.75" SW line, I have to wonder, when will enough be enough and when will I finally succumb to the extinction of my collecting species?

The pessimist in me says that sure there may have been a one-for-one trade off between someone new and a pissed off collector, but the "someone new" is not someone who is going to jump into collecting the line. They are the "Hot Wheels guy", eBay scalper or employee of Brians Toys who is going to turn around and sell the set for $260+ because gosh darnit - they DESERVE to make 100% profit overnight on this item. And since I believe (and from the number of eBay auctions can see) that to be the case, I have to wonder, what satisfaction/sense of accomplishment Darry DePriest gets from this situation. He got eBay scalpers excited about this one-time item and now it's going for double the price on eBay - big deal! It's not like Hasbro gets a cut of that. The only thing he accomplished is that for a week or two following the show, HTS didn't have to deal with having them in stock. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. If you doubled or even tripled the quantity that HTS had to sell yesterday, I can guarantee that it would still have been sold out before the end of the week. And let's say instead of 1000 sets, it was 3000 sets, 2000 more sets that sell means $260,000 more in sales. To me, to walk away from a sales opportunity like that is just insanity.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2011, 09:38 AM »
Yeah, I see where you are trying to go with this Nick, but the numbers just don't support it.  I heard SDCC ws more like 130,000, not 200,000.  They sold out the stock they had there, so hopefully they did bring in some new SW collectors.  More likely, they had enough for the SW collectors and a few Ebay sellers picked up whatever was left. 

If you look at the thread on just this site, it seems to me that at best 25% of the people were able to nab one of these, and many of the ones that did would have bought more than one.  So let's say overall, they sold 20% of what they could have.  That means they could have sold more like 5,000 sets yesterday.  An additional 4,000 sets is half a million and revenue AND good PR with their fans. 

I really can't see how possibly drawing in a few additional people at SDCC can equate to this.  And personally, I would rather satisfy a 15-year collector who is buying across my line than bring in someone new who might not ever buy another SW product.  If this was their plan, then it was ill conceived.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Official response from Hasbro on yesterday's fiasco:

Thank you for your e-mail and for your interest in HasbroToyShop.com.  We do apologize for your troubles in ordering this year’s exclusive San Diego Comic Con items from HasbroToyShop.com.  Due to high volumes of activity on the website today, both the HasbroToyShop.com website and our internal system were moving very slowly and in some cases not loading at all.  Due to the website being consistently non-responsive for several hours, many people were unable to secure the exclusive item(s) that they were trying to order. 

Unfortunately, when an item is placed in a customer’s cart, the item is not reserved for that customer until the order has been completely placed and the customer receives the order number.  Therefore, if a customer added an item to their cart and by the time the customer was able to check out with their order the item was no longer available, this means the item was unfortunately sold out in the meantime.
  HERE'S AN IDEA FOR YOU - CHANGE THIS SO THAT ONCE IT IS IN YOUR CART, IT IS RESERVED FOR YOU TO CHECKOUT!!!

Unfortunately, there is no reserved stock of the exclusive Comic Con items and once they are sold out on HasbroToyShop.com, there will be no more available as these items were made in limited quantities and will not be restocked at any time.

We would like to apologize for the long hold time that customers experienced during the afternoon on July 26th as there was an inundation of phone calls of customers with questions and concerns in regards to the Comic Con exclusives.  Customer satisfaction is very important to us and we always strive to answer phone calls from every customer as soon as we are able.

Again, we apologize that many customers were unable to place orders for the exclusive items they wanted to purchase.  These items are made in limited quantities as they are exclusive to the Comic Con convention and a small amount are reserved to be sold from HasbroToyShop.com after the convention for customers who were unable to attend.

We are working with our corporate offices and technical support teams to be better prepared for the release of the Comic Con exclusive items on HasbroToyShop.com after next year’s convention.  We apologize again for any inconveniences the website issues and long hold times caused on July 26th.  If there is anything else we can assist you with, please let us know.

We greatly appreciate your business.  If you have additional questions, please visit our website, www.HasbroToyShop.com, or contact our Customer Service Center via e-mail at CustomerService@HasbroToyShop.com or phone at 1-800-408-0052. 

Thank You,

HasbroToyShop.com Customer Service

Confirmation that they will not be making more, though I guess it is possible to see the cards in a different format.  Great to hear that they will be working on this over the next year to handle it better in 2012.  Hopefully you still have some interested consumers left by then.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2011, 11:39 AM »
Wow...They actually acknowledged they f'up ?  I honestly don't have high hopes the situation will be any better next year.  Perhaps they should just keep these truly con exclusives only...I know that sounds bad, but it's utterly painful to have items in your cart for a couple hours only to see them slip through your fingers.

Ya where is that HASBROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! pic?  Haven't seen that in awhile.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Wow...They actually acknowledged they f'up ?  I honestly don't have high hopes the situation will be any better next year.  Perhaps they should just keep these truly con exclusives only...I know that sounds bad, but it's utterly painful to have items in your cart for a couple hours only to see them slip through your fingers.

Ya where is that HASBROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! pic?  Haven't seen that in awhile.

Or, they could simply fix it so that once it is in your cart, you can click through and buy it.  I would have been more understanding if I just didn't get to the site in time to get it in my cart, but I got the set in my cart on two different PCs, was already logged in and just couldn't get past the checkout screen.  Or here's an idea, stop making exclusives that require people to fly out to California to purchase.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2011, 01:26 PM »
Is that from Hasbro, or Hasbro Toy Shop?

If it's Hasbro Toy Shop, I'd say they're not really aware one way or the other whether new product will get made and sent as they're pretty separate of like the main Star Wars team or whatnot.  They're the ones who will make the call if more are going to happen, so don't lose hope yet.

I don't honestly think THIS set will get anything more though.  I'm thinking more along the lines of the other items.  This one I think is a done deal unless they really cave under the pressure of the overall fiasco.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2011, 01:32 PM »
If HasbroToyShop isn't going to get anymore of these why is the page still up on their site?
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2011, 01:44 PM »
If HasbroToyShop isn't going to get anymore of these why is the page still up on their site?

Sargeant Slaughter sold out in minutes last year, but his page was still up several weeks after the fact.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04 PM »
Like I said, I think a CSR at Hasbro Toy Shop has little to no clue on whether they're getting anything more in or not.  They just are there to put out there fire, and as far as he/she is aware there's an out-of-stock notice and none on order.

Doesn't mean Hasbro WON'T make more and send them, just means it's not showing anything to the CSR so they tell you "no more, sorry!", and move on then to the next letter.

The only real answer would come from asking Hasbro directly either through the Q&A or some other channel.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Pete & Jman - Having been to SDCC a couple of times, I can offer this:  people can become generally interested in exclusive more easily than you think.  I've stood on those lines for Hasbro, Gentle Giant and others.  People will literally come up to you while you're on line and ask what you're on line for.  It can happen several times while you're making your way through that line.  And once I let them know what I'm on line for they may wind up on that line, too.  I've seen that happen.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback