Author Topic: Clone Wave Wave 21 (Spring 2011 Wave 2)  (Read 14745 times)

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Clone Wave Wave 21 (Spring 2011 Wave 2)
« Reply #15 on: March 8, 2011, 11:01 AM »
they are starting to give SW figures that MU style neck joint?  I am guessing that is what you mean by the "Thor" syndrome - unpainted neck joints

Yep, exactly. Apparently there are some "variants" floating around out there that have white, unpainted necks. (was it Loki that had this too? I seem to recall as much)

That sounds ugly as hell to me, I'll definitely be checking this carefully before I make any purchases.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 8, 2011, 11:12 AM »
yeah, Loki's neck joint is green and it sticks out.  I think Odin also has a white neck joint, but due to his larger head it isn't as noticeable. 

Offline ysalamir

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 9, 2011, 07:48 PM »
This wave is showing up at Walmart now here in ABQ.
Picked up:

El-Les
Commander Wolffe
Ashoka (season 3 outfit)
Aqua Droid

I figure I'll pick up the improved Anakin Later. The Crowd Control Trooper doesn't appear to be in this wave and he's not on the card back.

While I was at it I went over to K-Mart to get a CW Captain Lock before they're all gone.

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:53 AM »
Picked these all up last night at Walmart, but I believe the case assortment only had 1 El-Les, so I am still on the hunt for another opener of him. I did get multiples of Wolffe, Ahsoka, and the Aqua Droid.

This is a great wave, I think these offerings are even more appealing than the batch coming up in Wave 3. The execution on most of these figures is just marvelous.

Quick hit thoughts:

Ahsoka - Wasn't planning to buy an opener for her, but it was too hard to pass up. The paint apps are fantastic on this version, very crisp and bright. Great level of detail especially on the head sculpt. I never liked the original likeness of her figure, so this one is a vast improvement to me. She's very frail though.

Aqua Droid - Out of the park grand slam, an absolute masterpiece. This thing is just twenty different kinds of awesome, from the hulking scale to the terrific poseability. If they had 10 on the pegs I might have bought them all. I just have to test if it actually plays well in water. One of my top 10 TCW figures ever, easily.

El-Les - Only 1 of these in this case assortment apparently, so I could not open him for a closer look. I'm definitely looking to pick up another though, he turned out terrific. As others have noted, his rifle is pretty damn sweet too.

Wolffe - I'm not big on clones, so I may end up returning my extra, but he's a work of art, no doubt. Might be the best face sculpt for a clone yet in terms of attention to detail. I want to see more of him on the show now.

Anakin - Ugh, WTF? This thing is just atrocious, every bit as bad as the Aqua Droid is good. First off, it's a horrible likeness, and way too gaunt, like a Jedi Chris Collinsworth. To make matters worse, the paint apps are completely horrible. The neck in particular is a huge problem area. It's not even a question of white vs flesh colored - I looked over at least 6-9 different ones and had a hard time finding one I could live with, even to keep carded. It's hard to describe without seeing it, but it's like they skimped badly on the paint, and then had some kind of smearing, leakage from other parts of the torso or something. This might be my #1 WORST TCW figure ever seen.

Despite the Anakin abomination, 4/5 of the wave are just outstanding, so I recommend it highly for those interested. Good luck on your hunts!

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 10:28 AM »
Aqua Droid - ... I just have to test if it actually plays well in water.

gotta admit that made me chuckle a lil...   ;D

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:39 AM »
Picked this wave up this morning - was able to score 3x of each figure in the wave.

Still on the hunt for more Aqua Battledroids to open.

Edit: I agree with McMetal - I just opened up one of the Aqua Battledroids - what an awesome figure!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 12:01 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 06:14 PM »
Got El-Les and Aqua Droid at Wal-Mart (managed to miss most of the last two vintage waves that store got...one case of each, probably  ::) )

El-Les's lack of ankles is still a bummer, but they way they did his shoulders is great, making the vest shoulders seperate so they moves with the arms rather than restricting movement. He can almost do his thinking pose from the card picture.

My aqua droid's head seems wobbly, but it's a fun  figure and substantial (big) for a single carded figure...makes the $8 easier to part with.

Wolfe looks cool and I almost got Ahsoka, though her painted face skin looks odd compared to the rest of her skin, mostly molded. It's funny her card art is sooo angry, but the figure is neutral expressioned.

I don't care about Anakin...haven't gotten a new Anakin figure in years. Maybe if they'd given him ankles and a normal left hand and he was on sale.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 02:04 AM »
Found a lone El Les wandering a local store so I grabbed him.  He flies in the face of all established EU for Arcona pretty much, but that's ok.  I liked him in the toon.  He's a little realistic.  Some better paint and I think he'd be moreso, but he's pretty cool as-is.  Love that he has a sniper rifle.

I wonder if he and Bric survive the assault on Kamino, assuming they're still there helping crank out Clones.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I found the new Anakin from this wave, but no others, at our local WM.  I picked him up, but was hoping to find the new Ahsoka and/or El Les as well.

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 12:49 PM »
I have to say, I really love how they have rolled this wave out with multiple cases on the pegs/shippers. I have never understood the point of stocking one measly case of new figures, stick 3-4 cases out at once and they will sell. Way more consumer friendly to snag everything you need at one convenient location.

I hope they do the same with Wave 3.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15 PM »
All of this wave except for Ahsoka are up for pre-order on HTS right now.

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 07:12 PM »
Wow, Wolffe sold out already!

Online McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:06 AM »
I'm seeing a lot of whining online about the Aqua Droid not being able to stand up. For the record, I have not had this problem at all. I don't think it's a question of inferior material, the thing is just top heavy, so you have to pose accordingly. It has so much articulation it's really not that hard to find a spot that works. (IMHO)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 03:05 PM »
I'm seeing a lot of whining online about the Aqua Droid not being able to stand up. For the record, I have not had this problem at all. I don't think it's a question of inferior material, the thing is just top heavy, so you have to pose accordingly. It has so much articulation it's really not that hard to find a spot that works. (IMHO)

I have three open - one standing on top of my monitor and two more in my Clone Wars display case - none of them have fallen over. Maybe I'm "lucky" on these, but I have had problems with the CW Superbattledroid warping at the ankles and then toppling over - which kinda stinks.

I'll definitely echo what McMetal said - just experiment with a pose that is balanced and the figure should stay well.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I found all these today - wow - and I have a little trouble with the Aqua droid, but I'm still experimenting.  Amazing figure.