Author Topic: Clone Wars RC Republic Tank  (Read 13005 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Clone Wars RC Republic Tank
« Reply #15 on: May 3, 2011, 12:17 AM »
I'm sure there's a dedicated thread for the new RC Republic Fighter Tank, so feel free to merge this Mods. I looked but couldn't find it - sorry!

Am I crazy or is the scale of this thing suddenly way off? The new packaged photo seems to indicate this, as far as the relative positioning of the figure to the vehicle. The non-RC versions seem a bit more robust.

I wonder what they will actually charge for this thing because it seems smaller than the Hailfire Droid too.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2011, 09:55 AM by Jeff »
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Clone Wars RC Republic Tank
« Reply #16 on: May 3, 2011, 12:35 AM »
The new photos of this are interesting...

Clicky

I'm not as into this as the Hailfire Droid only because I'm not as into the vehicle's design overall...  I didn't buy the basic vehicle for the same reason, mostly because I was annoyed that its outter nacel things weren't "articulated" to move when it lifted and was zipping around.  that's how the vehicle works so I was kind of meh on the toy then.

It's also smaller than it should be, but as an EU item that's arguable too I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 4, 2011, 10:53 PM »
Got mine.  It's pretty great.  Rolls forward, or does the "reverse and turns a bit".  The remote firing thing is pretty cool, it sort of recoils-- the whole tank jumps back a tiny bit each time you fire a rocket.  Plus it has lights on the front of it.  I don't think any collectors will be happy shelling out $50+ for a toy they bought for $20 a few months earlier, but I have to admit I think it's more fun than the Big AT-AT was.  (But it is significantly less impressive.)
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: July 5, 2011, 02:09 AM »
I read your quick review of it Adam, and liked the details you shared...

I collect 1:16 RC tanks, and they (among other features not really appropriate for a kid's toy) have the recoiling feature, lights, etc.  I always liked that, and so it's neat that the new RC Republic Tank has that incorporated into it.

I'm not sure I'll buy the Republic tank...  I wasn't into the static one in the first place, but I may cave and get it.

I loved the Hailfire...  to me, it was a no-brainer based on the vehicle's design and Hasbro got it to function remarkably well.  And the firing feature on it is really flawless.  It was also the only really solid "big" Separatist toy to run over Clones with...  Well, not counting the giant Octuparra.  That thing is still impressive every time I look at it.  The Hailfire is/was a ton of fun though and I think the Republic Tank was a great direction for them to go then for the Clones.  I just wonder if another RC vehicle is up their sleeves, or if this is it then.  Designs are somewhat limited.  The hovering tanks from the Zillo Beast episode could work though, I guess, if another item were to be considered.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 5, 2011, 09:19 AM »
I read that review too and unfortunately I am one of the people mentioned who would buy this and then leave it boxed in its pristine state on display. So yah, does not do much to pump my tires. I would just as soon they retire this RC idea altogether and get back to making non-functional toys that I can never find in stores.  ;D

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 5, 2011, 06:01 PM »
I kinda wish they'd just integrate it in NEW vehicles and not remakes.  The Turbo Tank would've been 23% cooler if it was an RC toy right out of the box-- gut the Speeder Bike launcher and stick the motor in there.

If they're going to stick to short-term remakes, I hope they can find a way to drive down the price point.  If the RC mechanism dies, the $25 Saber Tank seats more figures and can roll on its own, at least.

I guess they'll do one next year... but what?  A Pod Racer?  A Flash Speeder? (Hahahaha.)

...I'd actually like to see an all-new wireless RC Landspeeder.  That might be cool, at or under $40.
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: July 6, 2011, 12:02 AM »
The price is unfortunately pretty good for a GOOD RC mechanism (which it actually is pretty solid...  I took one apart and I'm impressed at the sturdiness of the guts on the Hailfire).  I agree totally that a NEW vehicle would be nice.  The Hailfire kind of constituted new given that the old one hasn't been around much of late, but the Republic Tank's a bit fresh.

As much as it's unlikely, I would've dug seeing Hasbro going with an original design, even a "mini-rig" type design of the Turbo Tank...  maybe just 6 smaller wheels, fore and aft cockpits...  TT shrunk down to a more manageable size basically, and made into an RC vehicle.

The big Turbo Tank would've been awesome and popular I think, but would've upped things a bit on it...  Rubber tires at that point I'd guess, steering would've been a little tricky on it since it's weighty, and one motor wouldn't run it either I don't think, due to the weight also.  Still though, it's probably the coolest vehicle they could've done aside from the boring Sandcrawler (but a crawler with working treads would be quite the eye-popper to collectors I think).

It's funny how quality RC stuff's come down in price though...  the same level of quality when we were younger would've cost a good bit more.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2011, 03:06 PM »
I see this is in stock now over at HTS...weird how they are early with some stuff and so late with other stuff.

Think I can wait til I see it in a store. The K-Mart across the street still has 3 Hailfire Droids gathering dust.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 12:32 AM »
I saw this at a Target today $39.99 (unless I read the wrong shelf tag). Only holds two figures in the drivers area and the commander hatch is non-functioning.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 12:38 AM »
Good to know, I caved and bought one off HTS but of course it arrived in sub-minty packaging so I would like to upgrade.

Bullseye's got it goin' on~

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 1, 2011, 08:17 PM »
Lightning deal in progress at Amazon for the R/C Fighter Tank.  The price is $24.99
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback