Author Topic: Lord of the Rings: Armies of Middle Earth  (Read 17446 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Lord of the Rings: Armies of Middle Earth
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2003, 05:55 PM »
Haha I'm a toycollector, minda tricks dont work on me, only toys....
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2003, 11:59 PM »
Today I received my exclusive Gollum (KBToys), Moria Orc set, Kazad Dum playset and Chamber at Orthanc set.

Dont feel like going into a big long review, but Ill make a few quick comments:

Gollum:
Great figure, very tiny. Stands pretty well on his base and has a very cool paint job, although he's just a bit too dirty for my liking. A very neat figure. Packaged collectors beware, KB stuck a nice big sticker right on the package, it pretty much covered the entire bubble.

Moria Orc Set:
The best standard figure set of the collection. Three fantastic army builders, all in good solid poses, good articulation, and superb paint jobs. One of them done so well I could remember where it was exactly in the movie. A really awesome set, by far my favorite.

Kazad-Dum:
Very cool, but very small. If you want proper scale, wait for the full Balrog figure to come out, and make your own. The Balrog is not a complete figure, and is built into the background wall (although a very convincing effect).  Other than scale, this is a truly phenomenal set though. The paint on the Balrog is truly exceptional, and the Moria Orc and Gandalf figures (both unique and exclusive to this set) are very cool. Its a great set if you can get past the scale issues.

Chambers at Orthanc:
An awesome set! Looks to be very well scaled, and features Saruman's throne and the Palantir. Comes with a great Saruman figure, Gandalf and Grima Wormtongue, so you can recreate scenes from FOTR and TTT. Saruman can hold both staffs and Gandalf can be balanced on his arm to make the duel scene from Fellowship.

Very awesome sets! A few more days and the two siege weapons will arrive, then it's a short wait for Series 2! :)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2003, 10:19 AM »
Okay, I found Armies of Middle Earth sets at TRU last night. I can see this line snowballing and I know how I am. I'm totally resisting.

However, had this been a 3 3/4" line ala Star Wars, my Toy Biz figures would be on eBay so fast, you'd all feel the gust through your keyboards.

These look pretty good. I like that they're offered in army-building sets as well as scene specific ones. This is how Star Wars should have been since POTJ. Unfortunately the feet have pegs that fit into the bases, not vice versa. Even though these remind me more of game pieces than action figures, I noticed them creating an undeniable stir in the Boys' Toys aisle.

Now get away from me, vile temptress. I got no room for you!
Post sober.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2003, 11:59 AM »
Well my collection is now up to date :) Got the siege weaponry today!

Orc Battering Ram:

Includes 4 Uruk Hai, battering ram, pike, shield, sword and crossbow. The figures have arm articulation, and hold the battering ram pretty well. The detail is fantastic, complete with little arrows stuck into the battering ram. Great paint jobs, and four Uruks is a great deal!

Siege Ballista:

My favorite piece so far. The ballista itself has all kinds of cool features, from heigh adjustment to turning wheels. It does not actually launch the spear, but makes a great display piece. It includes two Uruks, one is really cool looking, but the other is absolutely astonishing. His armor detail is beyond comparison, his helmet features the white hand of Saruman. It is an incredibly menacing looking figure, and probably the best of the entire line. This set also includes extra weapons: a shield, sword, pike, crossbow and interchangeable tip for the ballista spear.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2003, 11:24 PM »
TRU rolled these out in force today.  Wow. :o  Everything that could be there, was there.  The only problem is if I spent $15 I might as well have spent $600 :-\  Nice stuff, the scale could be a lot of fun, but with horse packs at $9.99 and 3-packs at $14.99 and the playsets unmarked (you can't afford it if you have to ask) this just won't be happening for me.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2003, 01:28 PM »
Got the Toys R Us exclusive Helm's Deep 10 pack today! VERY cool set! You get Theoden or horseback (he's also removable, but cant be posed any other way), 4 elves (two bowmen, two swordsmen) 3 orcs (crossbowman, captain, swordsman) and 2 Rohan soldiers (same as the Eomer three pack). This is my favorite set so far, the elves are especially cool! Its also a fantastic way to build an army! The set retails for $25

And for our friends in the north, Canadian WalMarts are going to get an exclusive package, so I may have to nag some of you guys to pick one up for me ;)

My ActionFigureExpress.com exclusive Weathertop set should ship soon.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2003, 01:56 PM »
BigDumbWookie, are the Uruks in the TRU set the same as in the two big accessory sets (ballista and battering ram)?  The one I want most is the captain, I guess, with the white hand on his helm.  Thanks.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2003, 02:25 PM »
Adam,
I should be able to pick it up for you with no problem.  But you should probably give me an idea of what to look for.  These things just fly out of Wally world and to a lesser extent TRU.  

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2003, 03:39 PM »
Morbug - Ill get in touch when it's released, as of right now, not sure when that will be. You guys are lucky though, the figures from the three packs are going to be (or are currently) released in single packs.

Spuffy - The Uruk captain (pointing, like he is commanding his troops), is the same one from the ballista set, with the hand of Saruman on his helmet. The crossbowman Uruk is also from the ballista set. The swordsman Uruk will be available in a Series 2 3 pack with Ugluk and Mauhur

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2003, 03:47 PM »
Yes, that's correct Adam.  I've already seen the singles and they sell for $4.99 + tax.  Anything there you need?

BTW, our three packs sell for $14.99, so the price is reasonable for the singles, relative to our sets.  

Mighty, mighty tempting this is.

Anyone needing the convention three pack with Frodo and two wraiths can pick it up at Legendsactionfigures.com, a Canadian store.  $29.99 or so in Canuck bucks and shipping is pretty reasonable.  So around $20 US plus ship.  

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2003, 03:57 PM »
Ouch, that's a pretty high price. If you decide you want to collect them, I'd be glad to help out, if it would be cheaper for me to buy them and ship them to you. I think Play Along Toys has mentioned reworking the Canadian prices as well.

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2003, 03:18 PM »
Picked up the Battle at Helms Deep set today! This thing is enormous! :) Im still unloading it from the box, but it looks so cool!

It comes with exclusiver versions of Helm's Deep Armor Aragorn and Legolas (where's Gimli? :() and also a torch bearing berserker :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 2, 2003, 11:31 PM »
Adam, have you figured out what the Canadian Walmart exclusive is?  They have restocked and I have no clue what I'm looking for. ???  Little help :)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 3, 2003, 04:01 PM »
As far as I know, its not out yet.

From what I hear, its a huge set, like 18 figures and a battering ram and other accessories

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 4, 2003, 12:17 AM »
 :o

LOL, ok, that shouldn't be too hard to miss. :D