Author Topic: SDCC Starscream/Cobra Commander  (Read 15595 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
Re: SDCC Starscream/Cobra Commander
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2011, 02:27 PM »
I think the DPCI surfaced awhile back for the Skystryker at $34.99 so $15 more isn't too much of a set back - that is if HTS will let me buy one...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 12:58 AM »
Yeah, there was an early report of $80 from the Con.  Not sure if the reporting sites just got it wrong and ran with it or if something changed, but $50 is a much more reasonable price, IMO, for a limited exclusive.  ****, I'm surprised the Skystriker isn't $50 retail.  If it were a SW ship that size it probably would be...and it would be exclusive as well.

I think the $34.99 price may have been an error also, but I got tired of following the Hiss Tank thread about it so maybe it was backed up.  Either way, $30-$35 is fine, I'm not going to lose my mind over $5.

I think if you read the Joe boards, or at least the Tank, there's a panic over this year's SDCC exclusives based on last year's Slaughter issue.  Even though the PDD and Cobra Commanders went fast, Slaughter was a special issue, one which I don't think Hasbro is going to have this time around since they own 100% of the characters that they're making.  And I even saw someone try to compare the Dial-Tone issue to SDCC but they're entirely different situations.  I'm not worried.  Be at the computer Monday after SDCC and it shouldn't be too hard.  Zarana should be relatively easy to get but I do think the Starscream repaint will be tougher since there are two markets for it. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 02:34 AM »
Hell, the same thing is happening with Star Wars, E...  There seems to be some carry-over from that line to the SW one where people feel because the exclusives went fairly decently last year, that now those Indiana Jones sets could be tough finds, and so on.  I think it's always a possibility, but history seems to indicate that Slaughter was the exception more than the rule.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 03:22 AM »
The SDCC SW comic pack from last year actually hung around on HTS for a while.  I bought one when they first went up but they were on for quite a while.  I actually was surprised when I noticed they were finally gone from the site.

The Zarana figure should be popular with Joe fans, but other than some speculators, that's about it.  The Starscream variant is a different story, it's going to be popular with both Joe and TF collectors and I wouldn't be surprised to see a sellout at SDCC, but I also think Hasbro will make enough that there will be some online.  They own this one so they’re going to make as much scratch on it as possible.

The Indiana Jones set is a big question mark IMO.  It's a set of figures that are arguably more popular than 2 of the 4 waves we did get.  That alone could make it hard to get.  But the thing that hinders that set is probably going to be the price.  It’s not going to be cheap, and that should turn away the amateur speculators.  I haven’t been able to make a call on this one.  Could go either way, but again, I think Hasbro will try to get as many of this set out as they can and we should have a chance at it on HTS and SSW.  I just dread what the shipping is going to be on it.

The IJ set speculation reminds me of an article Joe K had me read about SDCC.  It was sort of a recap/commentary on the show (I think it was the 2009 show) by a guy that writes for one of the comic book publications.  Anyway, one of the things he talked about as part of his commentary was about the attendees that were walking around on day 1, already broke, and their only goal was trying to be the first to Tweet or Facebook some scoop about a movie or toy line or whatnot.  I think his basic comment was that while a lot of people attend that show to buy stuff, a lot more, and he thought it was a trend, are just attending to try and reap some glory by being “first” to get some piece of news out even if it breaks them.

A lot of those types are the target audience for these collectibles but if they have no money to spend who is left to buy?  Us.  Sitting at home (or possibly work) in a comfy chair, mashing the F5 key and whoring out our CC numbers...but still saving hundreds (thousands?) in plane, hotel, ticket and food costs.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 07:24 AM »
Yeah, there was an early report of $80 from the Con.  Not sure if the reporting sites just got it wrong and ran with it or if something changed, but $50 is a much more reasonable price, IMO, for a limited exclusive.  ****, I'm surprised the Skystriker isn't $50 retail.  If it were a SW ship that size it probably would be...and it would be exclusive as well.

The $80 tag was no rumor - pic from Hisstank

I am hoping the tag was wrong and the QnA team is right!

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 02:28 PM »
I new the $80 came from somewhere but I don't know if I remember seeing that price tag in the display case.  I think I got the info from a recap reort or twitter free from the Hasbro Q&A.  So must be Hasbro changed their mind?  I bet there was a lot of grumbling at the show over that $50 markup from the regular release.

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12 PM »
Out of stock already...Been trying to get this thing the second it went live.  Oh well...Lets see how long it takes the Zaranas to sell through.   >:( >:(
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2011, 01:59 PM »
I tried to buy the Starscream too.  Had it in my cart but couldn't get any further and then it sold out.  Thought it was worth a try but I really didn't need this thing.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I was able to get through on the Skystriker first thing when it went up.  But then the site melted down and I missed out on everything else.  Somehow, even the one victory doesn't make me any less pissed off.

E...

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 5, 2011, 01:33 AM »
Starscream/Skystriker came today.  I didn't open it yet but the box is in nearly perfect shape.  The graphics on it are awesome and I'm really happy I was able to pick this up.

E...

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 7, 2011, 04:26 AM »
Picked this up this moring from a local that could acutally order from HTS.  Beautiful box....Might keep it sealed as I'm still applying stickers to my Joe Stryker which seems to never end.