Author Topic: 2011 BD/DVD Thread  (Read 6649 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
2011 BD/DVD Thread
« on: February 21, 2011, 10:36 PM »
Picked up Toy Story 3 and Shrek Forever After on standard disc last week at Target on sale.  Still haven't been bitten by that expensive BluRay bug quite yet....but I think I'm up to 10 BD discs thus far.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 BD/DVD Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 10:53 AM »
I'm not sure if it's going on still or not, but Criterion.com was offering 50% off MSRP with the coupon code THANKS. 

I ordered Robinson Crusoe on Mars, Hunger, Darjeeling Limited, and Cronos for just under $20 each.  Free shipping on orders over $50.00.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:47 PM »
I got in on the sale too and ordered Wings of Desire, The Double Life Of Veronique, Crumb and Breathless.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: March 7, 2011, 03:43 PM »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #4 on: March 7, 2011, 11:31 PM »
I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get a Blue Ray player in the fall for Star Wars.

Blue Rays terrify me.  I was reading about how I have to "update" it's software and all of that nonsense.  Not that I'm a luddite, it's just that I hate putting work into things that I spend a lot of money on.  It's more a time issue than anything else.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 8, 2011, 12:19 AM »
Eventually I know I'm gonna have to go to BD, but I'm not sure if this or the SW release are the the push I need.  Looks like the bonus material is mostly the same I already have from the Extended Edition so it doesn't looke like a must-buy.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 8, 2011, 01:50 PM »
I think I'll have to bite the bullet and get a Blue Ray player in the fall for Star Wars.

Blue Rays terrify me.  I was reading about how I have to "update" it's software and all of that nonsense.  Not that I'm a luddite, it's just that I hate putting work into things that I spend a lot of money on.  It's more a time issue than anything else.

That's my one complaint with Blu Ray.  To be honest, I was one who didn't think high def made that big of a difference....until we got a blu-ray player for Christmas in 2009, proceeded to pick up a HDTV, and then upgraded to HD on our cable as well.  It really does look clearer, and although we have gotten much, much more selective with what movies we buy, I do look forward to adding our all-time favorites to the BR collection.

Anyways, back to the complaint, it is the "updates" you have to do.  Now, maybe we just have a cruddy player, I don't now, but we had a continuing problem with some of our blu rays that it would all of a sudden skip ahead during a certain part of the movie.  I found out that it is something that is put into some movies on purpose to help combat piracy or something.  I downloaded an upgrade and put it in our player, and things seemed to work ok again (although we had it happen again this weekend while watching Bambi with our daughter).  I understand the need to combat piracy and all that, but it sometimes seems like you are penalizing the people who just buy their movies and want to watch them.  That's my one complaint with blu ray.  With DVD, at least I could plan on just putting a movie in and watching it start to finish without any problems or having to update anything.  It take something out of the movie watching experience when you have to rewind to re-watch a part that your player automatically skipped over.  Again, maybe we just have a player that isn't all that great (it is the only one we have right now, so nothing to compare to), but it is a pain.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 8, 2011, 02:03 PM »
My PS3 is hooked up to the internet so it downloads whatever it needs when it needs it.  Haven't had any issues thus far...
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Has anyone heard anything concerning the Star Wars BD release and whether it will include Digital Copies?  I think all the buzz about lost/deleted scenes got the most attention.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:03 AM »
Has anyone heard anything concerning the Star Wars BD release and whether it will include Digital Copies?  I think all the buzz about lost/deleted scenes got the most attention.

If I had to guess I would say "no". It seems like digital copies are only released with single movies. All of my bigger Bluray purchases (Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The Clone Wars Seasons 1 & 2, Rambo box set, Avatar special edition) had just the movies and in some cases bonus features. No digital copies.

Also, the Saga box set is supposed to be nine-discs. Unless they have started putting digital copies and movies on the same disc, nine discs aren't enough for six movies, six digital copies, and bonus features. It's a bummer for sure, but maybe it's to get you to buy the individual releases in two years.  :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 11:05 AM »
What he said.

I put in a pre-order, but there wasn't any mention of digital copies.  Six discs for the 6 films and 3 discs of extras is how it was described.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 01:50 PM »
Any news on possible store exclusives for the sets?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 12:01 AM »
Welp, I got bit by the Blu-Ray bug at the beginning of the month. No player yet, but I discovered the greatness of the DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Packs. Yes, I've trashed them in the past but I take back everything bad I've said about them. My biggest fear was that the DVDs would be "bare bones" with no menu designs, etc. but I've found that to generally not be the case.

Anyway, my OCD set in last weekend when I found out about Disney putting Fantastia and Snow White back in the Disney Vault. So I snagged them today with the combo packs. Expensive, yes, but I'll be getting a BR player in September when Star Wars hits so I might as well go ahead and get the BR combo versions. Not to mention they're either the same price as, or in some cases cheaper than, the regular DVDs. I understand why they do it, but I don't understand why they do it, understand?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 12:31 AM »
I like the Blu Ray/DVD combo packs mainly because we have two other tvs in the house with DVD players on them.  This way we can watch the movie upstairs if we want to.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 12:36 PM »
Big fan of the combo packs here as well.  We also just have the 1 BR player, and have DVD players in our basement and bedroom, so it is nice to still have the DVD.  Plus, it really comes in handy for the kiddo movies so she can still watch them in the car for longer trips.