Author Topic: Weequay  (Read 21514 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Weequay
« on: March 4, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Weequay
« Reply #1 on: March 4, 2011, 08:00 PM »

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 4, 2011, 08:43 PM »
Vintage Weequay: The head was the necessary accurate for the time, so was its colour. The braid counted with all the necessary reliefs.

potf2 weequay: showed a more compressed style of head, very clever job. It anticipated the flat ears of weequay species. braids the same way, close to each other, but showed the appearance of layers with extra paint job.

tvc: the most accurate head, cause the ears are very flat and it is the first time the braids are depicted separately.

Perhaps even at this time, thiner braids would risk to break with head movement or manipulation. (The top of braids seems to be 4, but with 2 is ok)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: March 4, 2011, 11:53 PM »
I'd still like one closer to the original figure.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 5, 2011, 01:42 PM »
I liked Kenner's original a tad more than the 1997 one. Or at least the 97 one wasn't an amazing ugrade, besides the waist and left hand grip.

When in comes to skiff gaurds in general there's this annoyance I feel because their rides, the skiffs, aren't easy to come by. (What moron decided to release the vintage version two years after the movie? It was one of the key vehicles in the film.) Which why I never appreciated their figures as much as I could.

Anyway, I much want a new skiff more than a third take on this Weequay. Though, I'd probably get him when they made him.

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 6, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I was really almost out of Star Wars by the time the ROTJ figures came out.

The first version I got was POTF.  I hope they redo this version.  I have 3 skiffs I am trying to fill out.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 6, 2011, 03:41 PM »
I would definitely welcome them re-doing this one and putting him out on a Vintage style card.

The POTF2 version is still a good figure - the head sculpt still looks great, but the body gives away the figures age - so if they do re-make this figure, I'll just stick the various POTF2 versions I have in the background of my Jabba's palace display and put the newer figure more front and center.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 6, 2011, 07:06 PM »
Weequays are awesome. I'm up for a resculpt to add to this new skiff master.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: March 7, 2011, 02:14 AM »
I think this maybe was the first ROTJ figure I purchased...  Either him or Klaatu from Jabba's Palace.  Either way though, cool vintage figure because I always liked how he could hold his pike with 2 hands.  He couldn't hold a blaster for piss though, so that always bugged me as a kid.  He had the cool wrinkly skin though, the dreds...  Loved him anyway.

POTF2 obviously doesn't cut it these days...  This is a figure I'd gladly rebuy given how dated his original is at this point.  Not much really to say on him other than he screams resculpt.

However, didn't Hasbro say that they're not likely to do many (all) of the POTF2 Cantina aliens over in a modern update?  It's tough to blame them, but disappointing nonetheless.

I wonder how true (if at all) that will hold on Jabba Goons then?
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 7, 2011, 08:28 AM »
Hey, they redid Malakili. That figure, of a shirtless fat man (not exactly mass appeal), was one of the biggest peg warmers of POTF, alongside Ponda Baba...who is also getting a new figure.

So when they say they won't redo something...it means in the immediate future.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: March 7, 2011, 04:49 PM »
This referred specifically to a Q&A answer though where they said they probably wouldn't ever get around to resculpting every Cantina alien they'd already did (I think Labria was maybe mentioned specifically)...  That basically it's too hard to slot them into waves as it is, and there's a lot of figures left to do for the first time yet, so they'd be selective with who gets a resculpt and who does not.

Malikili I can almost see since the Rancor came out at around the same time...  And he had some sort of direct tie to Luke or a Luke moment in the Palace...  Ponda Baba the same deal, even moreso since he's directly tied to attacking Luke and getting cut down by Ben...  They make more sense then, than some of the other characters who were seen less, or did less... Like say a Labria, or the Weequay Skiff Guard here (who many already like).  I'd like a resculpt myself, but then again I'd take just about every POTF2 figure if they resculpted them to a modern standard.  There's really not much I'd turn my nose up at getting an upgrade.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 8, 2011, 08:52 AM »
Don't know why, but the vintage one was always one of my favorite figures.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 8, 2011, 01:11 PM »
I agree, the vinty Weequay rules. His expression seems very accurate, he is depicted younger in the original release.
potf2 faded the color of his shirt, from turquoise to light grey.
I only have the vintage version, but wish to collect the other release too
potf2 shows a different interpretation of the character, he is in a ready position, more tensed, while vintage Weequay stands on a more natural and relaxed position (less separated feet)

I think the tvc update will be appreciated in a next wave or design of 60 more figures. It will be a challenge for Hasbro sculptors. They will discuss posseability and likeness (maybe other disposition of his braids, different from the skiff master).

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:17 PM »
Malikili I can almost see since the Rancor came out at around the same time...  And he had some sort of direct tie to Luke or a Luke moment in the Palace...  Ponda Baba the same deal, even moreso since he's directly tied to attacking Luke and getting cut down by Ben...  They make more sense then, than some of the other characters who were seen less, or did less... Like say a Labria, or the Weequay Skiff Guard here (who many already like). 

This Weequay here is the guard about to jab Luke off into the Sarlacc, I'd say that's a direct tie into Luke even more than Malakili. Not that it's really worthy of debate. (The Rancor thing, why didn't they include him with the Rancor...was the risks of losing sales because TImmy's parents think he doesn't want a fat shirtless man with a big monster greater than having lingering Rancor Keeper figures on pegs...and...I regret not getting Malakili actually, now...so I should move on... ;) )

Anyway, I hadn't realized that the POTF2 Weequay had been recolored 2 times in the past 6 years or so, thanks to two battle packs. I'd say they'd milked the mold for its worth.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2011, 01:30 AM »
Loved the vintage Weequay back in the day and still do. That was one guy you didn't mess around with. Very good detailed head sculpt and an awesome facial expression. The latest version is on my wishlist, but it's not the counterpart to the Kenner version (different outfit). Still, glad Hasbro made the other Weequay too.